Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 04:43 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gas mileage

ORIGINAL: FITZ

Around how many miles do you guys get with the light blinking?
I never really had the desire to test that out...a successful test of that would mean I'd be stuck somewhere with an empty tank.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:46 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Domin8

I know this is a really stupid question, but what are some tips for someone new to putting gas in a motorcycle. its frustrating that I get that clicking noise every 2 seconds...Am i supposed to hold the nozzle back and pour in slowly til it touches the bottom of the metal bracket that hangs into the tank? I've put gas in my bike 3 times now but i dont think im getting a full tank out of it. I've searched online and found noddle adapters and such that make it easier to fill, but nothing about what to do without one.

(i feel retarded for asking if it makes any difference)
Eh, I guess we were all bike nimrods at one time.

I hold the nozzle slightly out and pump very slowly. This avoids splashing. The clicking noise is the sensor on the nozzle...this is obviosly intended for a car, and us bikers must adapt. When liquid his the tip of that nozzle, it shuts off. Let the tip hover just above the opening and AIM. Be especially careful as the gas nears the top so you don't overflow and make a nasty flammable mess.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:13 AM

Idon't think the way you use the gas pump is the scenario here. It really doesn't matter how you pump your tank, just as long you have a FULL tank of Gasoline, your bike SHOULD do more than 36-38 miles. Unfortunately, you might have a leakage somewhere. Check the clamps on the gas line. If that doesn't solve the problem, take it to a dealership.
P.S I hope you're not talking about your TANKcan only go for36-38 miles then it gets EMPTY....but instead, 36-38 miles/GALLON....that makes a whole lot of diff.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:16 AM

oh no im not worrying about a leak. its just the first tank i had from the dealership i got 30 more miles on it than i have gotten the 2-3 tanks i've had since bringing it home. i remember looking in the tank at the dealership and seein the gas almost touching the silver ring that goes in there, but i can never get it that high. I think maybe its the California gas pump style vs. other states ?

do your pumps look like this:

or does it look like these, this is what mine look like

mine have like that sheat that you have to pull back, i wanna know ifi have to manually pull that back so it iwll work like the other style? sorry if its a eal obvious question but everyone out of state i ask has never seen that kind of pump

Old 04-25-2008, 11:56 AM

That kind of pump sucks the fumes back into the pump, hence the sheath. I can't believe this many posts have been on "how to fill your tank" or that people think this dude is really ONLY getting 38 miles to a tank...common sense, people.

And all you guys know you should be putting the high octane gas in your bikes, right? For someone who lives in Cali, which is probably the only state that has higher gas prices than CT, for $11 to fill your tank, your using the wrong stuff. It costs me almost $14 to fill up here with 93 or 94 octane, and I have heard thatthe higher the octane, the better the gas milage you get also, but that could just be an urban mystery.

If the pump shuts off, pull out the nozzle a little, to the tip of the silver ring and slowly fill the tank so it doesn't splash or over flow.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:55 PM

I average 36-39 mpg's. This last tank I went 97 miles then I filled up again because I was going for a long ride. It only took two gallons so I got about 48 mpg's on that one. That tank was all country riding at like 55-62 mph.

I guess on these bikes gas mileage varies greatly but as long as you get more than 35 mpg's your normal.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:33 PM

it takes $11 bucks to fill my tank up...YES, i've allllllllllllllllllllllways used Highest/premium octane, which is the 93...That's the highest octane we have here in Tennesse. Of course I don't wait until it gets to empty then fill it up again..I usally fill it when it's about 2 nots left. My gas price here is about 3.63-3.76 for 93.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:52 PM

gas prices are getting insane. Its 3.90 here in Ohio for the 93 octane and 4 for 94. Its sick and really makes me not wanna drive or even ride as much. anyone else feel the same?

Old 04-28-2008, 10:28 AM

Gas prices make me want to ride all the time now sense my other option is a Tahoe.

Sorry 350z, I thought you were in Cali, not Tenn. Pumps in CT are at $4.09 for 94 and I had to search Sat for 93 at $3.93. Most stations were at $4 or over for 93.

I have found that my milage varies quite a bit on the 600RR, and not so much on my old F4i. Whether I romp on the throttle or not, my milage can vary from 100 miles a tank to 135 miles per tank, I haven't pushed it much past that yet. I've only hit the reserve blink once, I usually try to fill her when I'm at one bar.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:00 PM

im only getting about 35 miles per gallon too on my 06 cbr600rr and ionly have 2200 miles on it but i have power comander, headers and muffler

Quick Reply: Gas mileage