Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 11:33 AM
BDT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by philthethrillohio
it was the same day. have you ever heard of a car running a ten second quarter mile with 500 horsepower on race gas, then running the quarter in 11 seconds on pump gas ? you know why ? because higher grade gas produces more hp. google it man
Even if it does, the difference between 89 and 94 isn't going to be noticable to the average street rider. Besides, how many of us are riding around at 12,500+ rpm all the time? It might be an advantage at the track, but on the street you're just throwing money away IMO.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:30 PM

Race gas is NOT simply higher octane. True race gas will produce great results, and costs way more than pump gas! VP MR9, for instance, makes about 8% more power than pump gas but is only 87 octane (and is around $30 a gallon).

Last edited by randyjoy; 05-18-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:56 PM

my bike dyno with two diff grades of gas and i get two diff hp numbers... when my bike is tuned to 93 octane i put down a little over 110 to the wheel with the lower octanes such *** 87 im only around 106. same is said for race cars and so on. now the compression of our motors is not high enough to run say 107 that is excess but 93 and 87 there is a hp diff.
Yes - when you tune engines for different octanes you can indeed get more power out of them, and if your bike was tuned to 93 and you were only using 87 then you potentially did have a loss of power. I wouldn't put much stock in a 4 horse power delta because in the half hour it took you to change fuel, flush the fuel, etc.... the temperatures/barometric pressures or any other variables could have changed. NOONE is denying that if you run 87 in an engine set up for 93 that you are going to have less power potential. The point is if the engine is tuned to 87 you AREN'T going to make any more power on 93.

it was the same day. have you ever heard of a car running a ten second quarter mile with 500 horsepower on race gas, then running the quarter in 11 seconds on pump gas ? you know why ? because higher grade gas produces more hp. google it man
We did google it and I showed in my other post that all other variables remaing static a bike tuned for 87 will NOT make more power on 93. Race fuel is a different blend - it isn't just a higher octane, hence the reason it smells different.

like i sid before i had my bike tuned for 93. well im a little foggy sometimes and had thought maybe i still had 87 in the tank with the stabilizer since i had the bike tuned right at the beggining of the season. so i put some 89 in and guess i was right. my motor was pingign like crazy . back to 93 and she feels like a solid beast!lol oh and i think we should close this thread already. i mean DAMN!lol
So AGAIN - your bike is tuned for 93. You're argument doesn't hold water. Any vehicle tuned to run on 93 will not reach it's potential on 87, but a vehicle tuned for 87 will not make more horsepower on 93.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:28 PM

higher grade gas can produce more hp if tuned for it, but higher grade gas does not produce more hp by itself

the grade of gas is just the resistance to detonation, its no indication of energy in the gas, just a measurement, like temperature

Old 05-19-2010, 09:37 AM

higher grade gas ill only produce more power with the correct tune, youd either have to advance your timing or turn up boost pressure if you had a turbo or sc. the reason this works is because higher grade cause actually needs more to ignite. so unless you had more air and fuel in your combustion chamber adding a higher grade gas would do absolutely nothing for your horsepower.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:41 PM

ok well my bike manual says to run premium fuel. is 87 premium? i dont think so

Old 05-19-2010, 04:06 PM

ok well my bike manual says to run premium fuel. is 87 premium? i dont think so

If it says to run premium than you should run premium. If it says to run 87 and you run 93 you will not make more power in doing that alone - end of story.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Snoman
higher grade gas ill only produce more power with the correct tune, youd either have to advance your timing or turn up boost pressure if you had a turbo or sc. the reason this works is because higher grade cause actually needs more to ignite. so unless you had more air and fuel in your combustion chamber adding a higher grade gas would do absolutely nothing for your horsepower.
i totally agree with you