First Ticket....need advise

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 02:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First Ticket....need advise

I have to say I agree with others.. If there is no proof go to court and your plead your case in a professional manner and listen and do not interject the officers. information, Unless asked by the judge.

Old 05-17-2006, 03:16 AM

I'd definately take that to court. And remember, there's always the chance it gets thrown out cuz the cop doesn't show up. Your diagram's a good idea too. Show the judge you know the road, it's only 5 mins from your place, and so there's no reason for you to be speeding that much.

Old 05-17-2006, 05:08 AM

WOW..........bad *** news!!!!!

so i'm at work (same day as i get the ticket). a customer that i talked to yesterday came in again today. we talked yesterday about bikes (he just bought a harley but owned some sport bikes in the past), he asked me how mine was. told him about my ticket. he was like...wow...that sucks. asked what county it in. i told him i wasn't sure and whipped out my ticket which was in my pocket...he examines it. whips out his phone and makes a phone call.

it turns out HE is the ticket issuing officer's.....superior officer! he told me that it as taken care of and that it never happened.

talk about amazing luck!!!!!!

just thought i'd share

Old 05-17-2006, 06:52 AM

Wow! That's awesome! You got lucky big time indeed. If you see this guy again, just double check with him to make sure any paperwork HAS cleared so they don't issue a warrant or something stupid just because of a clerical error.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:22 AM

Go buy a lotto ticket.....matter of fact, I'm gonna paypay you $20 so you can buy me tickets ....I want in on some of your good fortune! Congrats!

Old 05-17-2006, 11:22 AM

wow... that's some KICK *** news!!! congrats!!

again... not what you know - but WHO you know.

Old 05-17-2006, 11:33 AM

ORIGINAL: dwhite645

Wow! That's awesome! You got lucky big time indeed. If you see this guy again, just double check with him to make sure any paperwork HAS cleared so they don't issue a warrant or something stupid just because of a clerical error.

ditto, a cop let me off of a ticket a while back and about a month later I got a letter in the mail saying there was a warrant for my arrest for failure to pay a ticket

Old 05-17-2006, 12:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, thats incredible. but i would definitely make sure it is cleared up before it comes back to haunt you. that is absolutely amazing though. im still amazed. good luck you got, and dont go making out with anyone or you might just lose it.

Old 05-17-2006, 01:50 PM

You definitely lucked out! Had you NOT lucked out I would have said:

80/45 --> Get a well-known lawyer that works in your county. Take whatever MSF courses or driver improvement courses available BEFORE you go to court. If you enter a plea or are found guilty this helps with mitigation. Being proactive before your court date separates you from the masses. Judges, like anyone with that has the power to drop the hammer of doom on someone, enjoys the rare opportunity to be benevolent, raise his hand, and pronounce, "I pardon you, my son." (If you've seen "Schindler's List" you'll know what I'm talking about.) Before seeing your diagram I thought you might have an issue with the pacing, with you mentioning the twisties. Seeing that you were stopped on the first turn that wouldn't come into play. If he didn't get you on radar, it could be LIDAR or a visual estimation. A visual estimation in court is much harder for the officer to prove in court and it comes down to articulation, such as, "Your Honor, on such and such date I was in my marked/unmarked police vehicle at the intersection of such and such. At that time I observed a XXX colored motorcycle, with a solo rider, enter the roadway and accelerate to a high rate of speed. The driver's side window of my patrol vehicle was lowered, and the roar of the motorcycles exhaust was substantially higher as it pulled out, with the noise level increasing as it pulled away. As I began to follow the motorcycle I further observed that it was travelling at a rate of speed much higher than the normal flow of traffic, passing several vehicles. I increased the speed of my patrol vehicle to 80mph, in a posted 45mph zone, where the distance between patrol vehicle and the motorcycle was constant. My patrol vehicle's speedometer was tested and calibrated on such and such date and found to be accurate and working properly prior to the date in question..." (this is an example and I know that you may or may not have passed any cars)
Now, I don't know all the details of the road you were on, the distances, and so on, but for pacing purposes I always use 5/10ths of a mile. If I don't have the sufficient distance for a pace, but can still articulate that you were driving in excess of the posted speed limit I would could cite "Speed Greater than Reasonable". This is easier for a lawyer to attack but takes away the lawyer's chances for arguing that the officer is lying (they usually word it that the officer was mistaken) because a Judge will think, "If he was lying, why would he give "Speed Greater than Reasonable" instead of citing an actual speed?" Plus the Judge may have had the officer in court before and knows that he's squared-away.

All in all, congrats that you got lucky on this one! Be safe.

Old 05-17-2006, 02:46 PM

cbr76....your a badass. i'm sure glad your appart of this forum. b/c i'm more than certain that someone will need that info you provided.

thanks all for all the support. i am definitely going to follow up in a few days about the ticket. if it does happen to show up i will probably talk to a lawyer and or appear on the court date and speak to the procecutor about the possibility of defensive driving even though i was cited over 25mph. but hopefully........i won't need to do that.

Quick Reply: First Ticket....need advise