First Ride w NEW Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Ride w NEW Tires

I wont be ridn' till spring but thought id post this now. My 07' i just picked up has new Battalax BT-021 on her. Aside from walking it around the parking lot ,loading and unloading etc they are brand new. Dealer mentioned to take it easy for first 100Km's or so, and DONT power out of corners. Found this link just now after some googling http://davedragon.rilysi.com/2007/06...se-danger.html. Interesting, about the mould etc. My brother , whose a very experienced rider (has an 05 Busa) pulled out of his driveway last summer after picking up new rubber and re-installing rim at home, he said "it was like being on ice", one $750cnd oem Busa fairing later and a few other things, plus lots of swearing!! said he justsimply forgot to sand tire... Theres vids on youtube showing guys leaving dealerships with there new bikes and dropn' them OUCH! I'll be more excited than anything elsecomparing it to the F4i will prob be slightly amusing lol
Comments, tips?
thanks
Dave

Old 01-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Default RE: First Ride w NEW Tires

ride it slow. go very easy on the throttle, once you get going weave back and forth to get the tire sum wear. if you are worried about it, and still dont feel confident you can hit it with sum sand paper.... make sure there is no tire shine on it, if it seems too shiny like it had sum sort of shiner on it, scrub it with a rag and brake cleaner.... its more of a problem with liter bikes the whole tire slip on new tire thing.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:37 PM

Great thx, i will prob do the sand paper thing anyway.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:20 PM

sand paper sounds like a good idea but what grit would you use??

Old 01-23-2009, 03:31 PM

u just need something pretty fine, enought to change the color from dark black to the used tire color.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:16 AM

Yep i was going to use a somewhat fine grade, wonder if putting it on the rear stand/putting in first and moving your hand over tire is the best way? not the safest way but prob easier, thats what i usually do to clean/lube chain. I dont have a front stand, so id have to just sand then roll bike forward etc.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:16 PM

Use something like 1000-2000grit anything finer won't do anything.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:28 PM

ORIGINAL: CBR Time

Yep i was going to use a somewhat fine grade, wonder if putting it on the rear stand/putting in first and moving your hand over tire is the best way? not the safest way but prob easier, thats what i usually do to clean/lube chain. I dont have a front stand, so id have to just sand then roll bike forward etc.
Was just reading a post on 600rr.net about cleaning your chain... and why NOT to have the bike running lol. (use your imaginiation, not safe!)
I saw a good price on these tires you've got, thought about picking up a set but my stockers are fine for now, probably hold off on rubber. I gotta get exhaust first anyway so we'll be more even

Old 01-25-2009, 09:37 AM

ya i know its not the safest for sure! just have to be extra careful, maybe ill just rotate tire by hand from now on And for sure if you dont need tires then just wait, get that exhaust!! lol
can wait to install mine! pics vids for sure. The Battalax tires i have are very sticky AND last a long time! we'll see how they fair this summer

Old 01-25-2009, 04:09 PM

I guess you can sand them, although it is completely unneccessry. I have put on a brand new pair of DCIII's and taken right out on the track. Of course, you do need to be a little careful for a few minutes, dont be leaningall the way over, and dont be powering real hard thru corners. Heat in the tire is the best thing, and slowly using up more and more of the side of the tire.

I put new tires on several times per year, even on the street, and I just ride it cautious for the first 20-30 miles.

Quick Reply: First Ride w NEW Tires