First Bike... Getting Used..Need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Bike... Getting Used..Need help

Hey wuts up...Im currently in the process of financing a used bike (Honda CBR 600 RR obvioulsy) preferably 04-06.... I would like some info on miles to price range on wut i should be looking for...My budgjet area is around 5500... But im not sure on teh value on how some of these bikes go and really dont wanna get ripped off....Also insurance... i already have a car and was told to make the bike a secondary vehical and insurance woont be to much more on it. But how much more am i lookin at per month with both a car and bike?? And other question when dealing with a dealership...HOw do i haggle down to the best possible price..Like i said before i dont know to much about purchancing bikes so i can really use all the ehlp i can get... Thanks[:'(]

Old 09-17-2008, 11:22 PM
Default RE: First Bike... Getting Used..Need help

With dealers, you have to be up front and just straight up ask them what's the best they can do for you. You usually get the best deal if you're paying cash. But depending on how much they're asking for in the beginning you can get them to drop anywhere from $200-$600. It all depends. Also in my case, insurance was highest my first year of riding, but after that it didn't cost crap for full coverage. And alot of it depends on where you live and what not.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:24 AM

go used, i got an awsome deal on my bike off craigs list. 04 with 06 front ohlins, akro full 520 -1 +2 bmc filter volecity stacks rearsets powercommander and ignition for 5300 only 8k miles, very clean.

insurance, state farm is what i swear by i pay 250 (every nut and bolt insured on that bad boy) every 6 months but i have multiple policy and all that good stuff, but u might wanna go there and c wut they could do for you

Old 09-18-2008, 02:40 AM

^^ thats a good deal. do you have any points, how long have you had a license, do you have/ are you getting an m1? this changes everything. i pay 800 a year for bare minimum but as soon as i hit my 3 year mark with a full license, i will be able to get that same price for full coverage.. cant wait i hate being so worried.

if you can get a basic loan, or can get cash period, i would buy off of craigslist. everything is cheaper, theres always someone letting a bike go for way too cheap, and there are always more deals right around the corner. plus haggling is way easier.plus 5500 will get you a very good bike now days if you want like an 05 (ps these models go 03 04 and 05 06 for designs, 04-06 are two different bikes)

as far as haggling goes, they can go lower then they tell you gaurranteed. think of it this way, your sale is their pay check, without a sale they get nothing... they WANT you to buy that bike so as long as you seem interested and make them work for it, you can pretty much get it to go a little lower then what they tell you at first.

i wouldnt get a bike with too many miles donsidering you dont know what its been thru if it has tons of miles... but these last FOREVER. think miles on a car, or close to.

ps ill put this in cuz i always do.... the rr is NOT a beginner bike.. its very aggressive i would highly recomend an f4i.. still a tight @ss bike but cheaper, and more forgiving. plus its a honda whatever you do let us know and get some gear.. take the msf course.. sorry for the extremely long post.

side note.. slip you got a new bike??

Old 09-18-2008, 03:27 PM

i just got a ccouple quotes today and im looking at about 200-300 dollars a year for insurance depending on coverage and stuff....but it was just a quote and not sure if there gonna try and jack me when im really ready to purchase...but i was pretty satisfided with it....but one other questoin....I really dont plan on doing this...but it is legal to not have insurace on a motorcycle??? i mean i really do plan on getting but i was just curious cuase i never got a straight answer.... and can someone give me like an estimate on how much a bike is worth depending on millage and year of the bike???

Old 09-18-2008, 03:54 PM

05 06 is about 6000 with under 10k miles.... give or take some hundred dollars depending on condition, use, any problems, added mods, and other junk
03 04 is about 4500- 5000 with under 10k... give or take again.

07 08 is about 7500- 9000 depending on miles. but your not gonna get much better than that.

no insurance is illegal, but people get away with it

Old 09-18-2008, 04:45 PM

ok thanks...good to know...now about gear...i was going to get an Icon Airfram Rubatone...but after searching on it i found a Scoripon Exo 1000 there about a 50 buck price differnce but not to sure if its wortth it.... performance wise how do both of them compare....or would u guys recommned another one? i woulndt mind having someitng with color but it just seems that the flat black helmets are more of my taste but those seem to run far more expensive then any other helmet our there....but i would like to save some money ya know??

Old 09-18-2008, 04:58 PM

scorpion i think is better, but once again go to a cycle gear and try everything on. see whats better fo ryou

Old 09-19-2008, 08:12 AM

go with State Farm on the insurance. for liability i pay $175 a YEAR. Progressive tried to make me pay that a MONTH. full coverage for me is $570 a year, and i'm 18, and have two accidents on my car insurance. both of which weren't done by carelessness, i hit some ice, and i also got rear ended. and my insurance is pretty low. it also helps that my parents and sister are also on State Farm. the more vehicles you have with them the lower it gets. it also helped that we've been with state farm for about 30 years. and listen to Skitzo. he knows what he's talkin about.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:22 AM

Price of everything is really going to depend on where you live. You can gt estimates, but a bike in Florida is going to cost a lot more than one in Michigan (used wise) .... this s typically, but not all the time.