A few questions please...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions please...

Hey, I've been lurking around this forum for a little while and had some questions.

First off, I've never owneda bike nordo Ihave any bike experience. So don't judge me

I'm stuck between the CBR600RR and the GSXR600, what exactly are the differences? I read it's purely cosmetic andboth bikes are equally the same from a performance and comfort factor. I do think the CBR looks better though.

Is the CBR a good first bike?

Do these bikes have expensive repairs? Do problems occur commonly? I used to have a YZ-80 offroad dirt bike when I was a kid, and usually if something went wrong, it was a max pay of a couple hundred dollars. I can imagine these bikes are much more sophisticated and prices could possibly be much higher.

Do bikes require Motorcycle Insurance? How expensive is it?

What is some recommended riding gear? Obviously a helmet. What else would be a good benefit?

Is the Graffiti option hard to find on these bikes?

I know the was quite a lot of questions but would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks for your time gents!

Old 01-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Default RE: A few questions please...

if this is your first bike and you have never rode before i would not go with a 600rr. i would start out with something like an f4i. but its all on what you want.

as for insurance. bikes require registration and insurance. depending on your age and who you go with depends on what the price will be.

as for riding gear. get yourself atleast gloves helmet and jacket. and make sure you have boots that go above your ankles.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:06 PM

insurance depends on state, FL does not require it.

this a honda forum, so we are going to be biased, keep that in mind.

i like the CBR over the GSX-R, i have ridden a new (2007) GSX-R, they are defiantly nice bikes, but i like my CBR. the CBR 600rr has a little more aggressive riding posture then the gsx-r, but they both will handle very well, and have about the same horse power, (within 5 hp, i don't know which has more, and you won't be able to tell)

if you watch AMA superbike (which races production bikes), one bike doesn't domiate, all the manufacturers find them selves on the podium or within a few seconds of it.

you might say honda is more reliable, but i would say its any cheaper to work on, they both will have ALOT of parts avaible because they are very popular.

the 07 600rr won a bunch of best 600 awards when it came out.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:54 PM

This, just like the 1000's, really come down to personal opinion. Unless you plan to put the bike on the track, there isn't much difference in terms of performance. Go with your gut feeling.

I have always felt that Honda's are some of the most dependable motorcycles ever. There are people in this forum that have over 100,000 miles on their bikes. I have 18k on my 06 1000RR and I have not had a single problem. I LOVE my bike!

Old 01-11-2009, 10:46 PM

Don't let the 600rr scare you. If your sensible and you take a safety course the rr is a great bike.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:56 PM

Well, I mean, if you have never been swimming, you probably shouldn't start by jumping in the deep end...am I right. Okay, walk around to the other side of the pool, where it's a little more shallow...okay, look in the water, on the steps, do you see the letters...MSF...okay, now go back inside and google them. Then click on Motorcycle Safety Foundation and see what options you have for local programs. Make a call, talk to someone, do what you have to, to register for a new rider safety and learning program. Still there? Good. Cause this will save your life. Now, get in the BMW, come to my house and give me the keys. Now, out of the kindness of my heart, I will drive you to and from all your new rider programs...then, when you pass and get your motorcycle license, you may have the 335i back...okay? Great.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:48 AM

ORIGINAL: SpiritRR

Well, I mean, if you have never been swimming, you probably shouldn't start by jumping in the deep end...am I right. Okay, walk around to the other side of the pool, where it's a little more shallow...okay, look in the water, on the steps, do you see the letters...MSF...okay, now go back inside and google them. Then click on Motorcycle Safety Foundation and see what options you have for local programs. Make a call, talk to someone, do what you have to, to register for a new rider safety and learning program. Still there? Good. Cause this will save your life. Now, get in the BMW, come to my house and give me the keys. Now, out of the kindness of my heart, I will drive you to and from all your new rider programs...then, when you pass and get your motorcycle license, you may have the 335i back...okay? Great.
Haha! Ok!

Your not touching my BMW though

Is the MSF course requred to drive a bike, or is it just a good idea? How much does the course cost?

In regards to the first reply saying this isn't a good choice for a first bike, I'm not willing to spend 3k on a used bike that I won't want in a couple months. I'd rather just take it easy in the parking lots with a CBR.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:16 PM

GSXR frame welds are crap, they break easily and that's not good. Honda's are built on stronger frames, hence from it's foundation on up, it's a better bike, in my opinion.

Do you have Google? Try using it to answer some of your own questions. Alot depends on what state your in.

Take the MSF course first thing. It's $100 (or it was when I took it) and you'll get a discount off your insurance and a free ride thru your states DMV. Look it up.

I do not believe a 600RR is a good starting bike. An 01-02 F4i is a good starter bike.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:55 PM

gsx-rs weight is distributed in the front more, which makes it pretty stable in turns but a lil more pain in the but getting it to turn, ive got a pretty good exp when it comes to comparing gixxers and 600rrs ive riden 03 04 05 06 and 07 of both brands and everyone i like the hondas better, but if you do decide on getting a gixxer make sure it is 06 or newer the 05s and older are awful way to heavy and i wasnt confident in the turns at all. i personally think that the 03 honda is better than the 05 gixxer lol, they had two years to make a better bike and couldnt. o and 04 05 gixxers have this thing with part of there electronics that get loose and need to be taken apart and resoddered or buy a whole new fuel injection setup.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:57 PM

o yeah, and make sure that your fist upgrade for your bike are some good frame sliders and spools. google it if you dont know what im talking bout

Quick Reply: A few questions please...