Expectations...F4i to 07-08 RR

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expectations...F4i to 07-08 RR

Hey guise. I figured this is the best place to post this question. I have read spec after spec and article after article but I wanted real life feedback from the horses mouth..

I am already looking into possibly purchasing a 07-08 RR...It will be a sad sad day when I part with my F4i, but I just love the damn looks of the 07-08's too much to not be a jealous bastard I currently ride a F4i (in sig) and couldn't be happier with it...a part of me says that I should just keep my F4i but the other part just really loves what I see with the 07-08 RR's. I may have to get used to the ergos of the RR but I'm sure I'll be fine. My question is as follows.

Coming from an F4i, what should I expect out of the 07-08RR? How much of a weight reduction between the bikes? Will I even notice it? (With the F4i being 370lb dry and minus my muffler + a CF slip on I'm probably around 355-360lb dry) How much of HP increase, and will I even notice it? Is the 07-08 RR as strong, solid and reliable as the F4i? What are the major motor/mechanical differences? How about transmission (its not a slipper correct?) and clutch feel? My 01 F4i's gearbox is clunky by design and I'm used to it...actually like it! But I'm assuming the 07-08 RR's using newer technology with tighter shift feel etc...?

Overall, I'm wondering about the ergos,power,weight,reliability and mechanics of the 07-08 RR as opposed to my F4i. WHAT ARE THE MAJOR DIFFERENCES??

Thanks, I appreciate all of the feedback.

PS. I've read the wiki on the RR...just looking for real life stories and feedback

Last edited by 600F4inoober; 09-16-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by 600F4inoober
Hey guise. I figured this is the best place to post this question. I have read spec after spec and article after article but I wanted real life feedback from the horses mouth..

I am already looking into possibly purchasing a 07-08 RR...It will be a sad sad day when I part with my F4i, but I just love the damn looks of the 07-08's too much to not be a jealous bastard I currently ride a F4i (in sig) and couldn't be happier with it...a part of me says that I should just keep my F4i but the other part just really loves what I see with the 07-08 RR's. I may have to get used to the ergos of the RR but I'm sure I'll be fine. My question is as follows.

Coming from an F4i, what should I expect out of the 07-08RR? How much of a weight reduction between the bikes? Will I even notice it? (With the F4i being 370lb dry and minus my muffler + a CF slip on I'm probably around 355-360lb dry) How much of HP increase, and will I even notice it? Is the 07-08 RR as strong, solid and reliable as the F4i? What are the major motor/mechanical differences? How about transmission (its not a slipper correct?) and clutch feel? My 01 F4i's gearbox is clunky by design and I'm used to it...actually like it! But I'm assuming the 07-08 RR's using newer technology with tighter shift feel etc...?

Overall, I'm wondering about the ergos,power,weight,reliability and mechanics of the 07-08 RR as opposed to my F4i. WHAT ARE THE MAJOR DIFFERENCES??

Thanks, I appreciate all of the feedback.

PS. I've read the wiki on the RR...just looking for real life stories and feedback
I cant help wiv how different etc it will b to the f4i but I've got an 09 so can help wiv a few of your Q's. It's definately not a slipper clutch, I would imagine it feels slightly lighter than an f4i but couldnt say for sure, as for the gearbox, mine is clunky n im sure its by design, it got slightly less clunky after the first service but not much. I'll leave it for some of the others wiv more experience to answer your other Q's, I think the main thing to remember is, is that unless your a riding god then an f4i & an rr wont be worlds apart on the road or track. Test ride an 07/08 if you can, if it feels right then go for it, if not then keep the f4i

Last edited by gsgcbr600rr; 09-17-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:12 AM

Thanks gsgcbr-I understand that I will probably not feel a huge difference in power and weight. I'm going to go test ride one and make my own opinions Its funny that still honda makes a clunky gearbox on their latest bikes (i.e your 09) and I don't mind it, it is just their trademark I guess! How are the throws on the shifts? On my F4i they are a tad long. Overall, I love the clunky gearbox and longer throws but I know some have put a star kit on their F4i and have cleaner/crisper/shorter throws and shifts..

I LOVE that electric blue SE color you have. It is simply gorgeous. I have never seen one in person here in the states and I am wondering what years they made them for? Did they start in 07 or 08 or 09 or....?

Old 09-17-2010, 01:50 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

alot people say they loose seating com formality when u go to a rr...

they are lighter, u may not feel the power difference horribly but u will notice it

Old 09-17-2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by 600F4inoober
Thanks gsgcbr-I understand that I will probably not feel a huge difference in power and weight. I'm going to go test ride one and make my own opinions Its funny that still honda makes a clunky gearbox on their latest bikes (i.e your 09) and I don't mind it, it is just their trademark I guess! How are the throws on the shifts? On my F4i they are a tad long. Overall, I love the clunky gearbox and longer throws but I know some have put a star kit on their F4i and have cleaner/crisper/shorter throws and shifts..

I LOVE that electric blue SE color you have. It is simply gorgeous. I have never seen one in person here in the states and I am wondering what years they made them for? Did they start in 07 or 08 or 09 or....?
No probs, this is my first Honda & first brand new bike so i only have 2 kawasakis & a Yamaha to compare to but yeah the gear shift on the rr does seem slightly longer & sometimes it seems that there isnt another gear to shift up to when there is & u just have to kick up that little bit further but that could just b me, but my mate has said the same about his 2010 Hornet.
As for the blue it was a limited edition paint scheme for the 09 model, not sure if its just U.K. or Europe, Honda seem to change paint schemes every year here even if the model doesnt get any other updates, I believe there was only 500 of the pearl sunbeam white (thats what Honda list it as, not blue) Limited edition bikes to be made & sold in the U.K.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:18 PM

I've got a 03 F4i and a 08 RR.

The F4i has become a track bike but for a year or so I split time between them on the road.

The RR is lighter. It is very noticeable moving the bikes around in the garage. Out on the road no so much.

The RR has a bit more power; not that I can use it safely you understand.

The F4i is a little more comfortable on longer rides.

I find the seats to be about the same i.e. not great.

Just riding them around in the city and they seem very similar. You can start to tell the difference when you get out of town a ways but even then you sense that the same company designed the RR as did the F4i.

I guess I didn't consider my F4i gearbox as all that clunky but the RR is a little slicker.

After having both for a while I am coming to realize what a great bike the F4i really is. In a way I like it more now than I did when it was my only bike.

Either one exceeds my capabilities by about 1500% but if I could only have one it would be the RR no doubt about it.

Last edited by dondi; 10-01-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:59 AM

I've had all type of bikes, from suzukis to kawis and yamahas and you just can't beat hondas at realiability and design. The main thing about the RR is the unit pro-link suspention they have where the shock is all on the swing arm that makes it handle better and the power band is alot smoother. As far as the shifting all bikes are the same internally, they all have dog rings the shift may be longer on some then others but basically the same different internal ratios. I've allways wanted an f4 there more popular then you think and people with other bikes will allways wonder what makes them popular but from reading this article I can see the bond between bike and owner. Johnnyh

Old 10-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I went to NC a few weeks ago and took my buddys 07 600RR on a road trip with my girlfriend. I've rode two up on my f4i a million times so the comparison is a good one. You could deffenatley feel the power difference in the upper rev range and it REALLY didn't like to be revved as low as the f4i when starting off from a stop. I could feel the weight difference when flicking the bike back and forth and could feel the potential the bike had but the suspension wasen't set for us at all so I never pushed hard. Overall it felt slightly improved in many areas over the f4i performance wise. Comfort was good seat wise [I liked it more then my banana seat] but the bar vibration put my right hand to sleep within 30 minutes. The transmission shifted o so smooth and unlike my f4i I could get a good leg clamp. I'd want one with the green 09 plastics for a track bike

Old 10-08-2010, 09:18 AM
October 2011 ROTM

I just picked up a 07 600RR last night. The gearbox is smoother than the F4i but still clunky but it doesn't have as long of a throw to it. When riding you don't notice any weight difference. When pushing it around the garage it is a lot harder actually, I think it might be because the HESD. Power wise I do feel difference. At low RPM it is rather tame which could be a good thing cause it won't instantly kill me. I got on it once from a slow rolling start and was thinking really this is all that its got then once it hit its powerband which is probably like 7K I was not ready for what it did. It came alive and stood the front wheel straight up in the air and I about shat myself. A major improvement is the brakes. I think my F4i brakes are a little "grabby" if you know what I mean. The RR brakes are powerful. It hardly takes any pull on the lever to to get it slowed down and quickly but it does it very smooth. You sit up higher on this bike (And I think the RR is taller overall. I'll take pics of the bikes next to each other so to you see) your more leaned forward (almost over the bike), your feet are further back. It is still pretty comfy at least for those 10 miles but it is just a lot different than the F4i. On the F4i when you want to look at the gauges you just glace down. On the RR you have to tilt your head down cause it is way down there. On the RR they moved the clutch cable out of the way of the speedo which is nice but the speedo # are small. I guess Honda doesn't think you should know how fast your going. The kickstand on the RR is more "flemsy" than the F4i. When the bike is on it there is more wiggle room. I don't know if you carry anything under your back seat on your F4i (I would put a hat or swimsuit in there) well on the RR you can not do that. There is NO room. The throttle control is smoother, the clutch is smoother (I stalled it twice cause I wasn't used to it ) The suspension is smoother and actually has more travel and "bounce" to it. One thing you do have to be careful about is the clutch cover on the motor is not covered and its easy to touch your right leg on it. It did it a couple times. It didn't burn me but got it a little warm. And I think the mirrors are better than the F4i. Honestly I wish I would have made the change sooner.

Last edited by R Dub; 10-08-2010 at 09:56 AM.