drifting wide on fast corners

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 07:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drifting wide on fast corners

Yo. I don't like fiddling with suspension, and I hoped I never had too. My zx6 tracks through a fast corner like its on rails. I took my wifes CBR600rr around the track yesterday, and it drifts wide "Now i know that a bike actually can drift wide, and that its not just coo talk from pro's"

I litterally have to turn the handlebars in to make the corner if I just lean like with my zx, it want to run off the track at higher cornering.

Is it compression or damping that I need to adjust? Compression is stiffness right, and damping is how quick the shocks revert to normal position?

Thanks

Old 09-26-2006, 11:49 AM
Default RE: drifting wide on fast corners

It's hard to say dude, because you were on a bike you weren't familiar with...was it the suspension, was it the technique of the rider...are you at the level where you can get on any bike and know that it's the suspension versus technique or both? What weight are you? Suspension setting vary from track to track and it sound kind of arrogant to assume that it's the RR making you go wide

I've had my bike on the track many times with the stock suspension set up and never had a problem with the bike going wide (unless I made it), did she have anything done to the suspension (like lowering).

I guess my point is...was it you or the bike (or both)?

Old 09-26-2006, 12:51 PM

Hahaha, I thought it might come to this, jhust because i have the slickest 600 class aorund doesn't mean I hate CBR's. I tend to like em, not for me tho, but a very nice bike and has a excellent reputation. Why would you say that i'm arrogant. I never said the CBR was at fault, I said that it drifted and I suspected the suspension due to alot of reading i've done on suspension.

I am in the fast group at trackdays, so I'm not all that slow around the track, and I don;t know what it is thats causing it, thats why I asked the question. It took me a couple of laps around the track to get used to the CBR, I got used to it pretty quickly with tis jumpy throttle and all. It feels steady in the corners, just not keeping a line very well on its own, I have to steer to keep the line where as with my bike I counter steer more than I steer.

The bike is supposed to be stock, but we bought it second hand thats why I don't know if the suspension is set op right. its a 2003.

Old 09-26-2006, 02:39 PM

Have you confirmed tire pressures for the tires on the bike? What about tread depth? New vs old rubber? 03 means it's been around awhile. That makes a difference.

Do you know if the frame has ever been tweaked even a little bit? Any sign it's ever been down?

Bike sounds like it's pushing. I'd approach it from that position, but without good answer to all of the above, you're chasing ghosts & shadows.

Regards,
JetJockey

Old 09-26-2006, 04:25 PM

My good buddy just got a zx6, personally I think they are extremely ugly. The *** end looks like a tank and the fairings stink. Enjoy your sick bike! I will stick with the CBR, which by the way is kicking *** in the races if you hadn't noticed. Also, I would think someone that is fast on a track would know there is more to turning than just leaning!

Old 09-26-2006, 04:36 PM

ORIGINAL: arkansashog

My good buddy just got a zx6, personally I think they are extremely ugly. The *** end looks like a tank and the fairings stink. Enjoy your sick bike! I will stick with the CBR, which by the way is kicking *** in the races if you hadn't noticed. Also, I would think someone that is fast on a track would know there is more to turning than just leaning!

i thought u said that CBRs were ugly too...? wat happen to dat cruiser u was gonna get? haha sorry just wonderin...

Old 09-26-2006, 04:41 PM

Had to order the 07 Night Rod Special, they said it would probably be almost a year before they can get one. And compared to the r6, i think it is ugly. My friends new gixxer has about 1000 times more factory accessories and steering stablizer and adjustable red line etc. I think mine is better looking, but his has lots of cool stuff and not much you have to change. I have found there are trade off's in everything, since I bought a new one I am stuck with it or I will lose my ***. I am building my own fender eliminator though that shoud look sick. I will post picks soon.

Old 09-27-2006, 03:28 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: FadeDude

Hahaha, I thought it might come to this, jhust because i have the slickest 600 class aorund doesn't mean I hate CBR's. I tend to like em, not for me tho, but a very nice bike and has a excellent reputation. Why would you say that i'm arrogant. I never said the CBR was at fault, I said that it drifted and I suspected the suspension due to alot of reading i've done on suspension.

I am in the fast group at trackdays, so I'm not all that slow around the track, and I don;t know what it is thats causing it, thats why I asked the question. It took me a couple of laps around the track to get used to the CBR, I got used to it pretty quickly with tis jumpy throttle and all. It feels steady in the corners, just not keeping a line very well on its own, I have to steer to keep the line where as with my bike I counter steer more than I steer.

The bike is supposed to be stock, but we bought it second hand thats why I don't know if the suspension is set op right. its a 2003.
First, your Kawasaki ZX-6R is NOT a true 600 (*ahem* 636), and second, CBR 600RR's are the slickest bikes around (ask anyone here, lol.)

Old 09-27-2006, 03:41 AM

the 636 might not be a true 600 but it has the power of one, oh wait thats bad lol

Old 09-27-2006, 03:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fade... W/ all due respect... You race... and it sounds like you know(have done ) zip, about setting up, your wife's bike??? Not even setting it up, for the first track time?????!!!!!!!!

I hope she reads this... and hids the keys!!!!!!

So youv'e "read alot", about suspension, eh?????.... WE BAD !!!!!!!!!! Clean and free, Ripp'n

Quick Reply: drifting wide on fast corners