DMV riding test

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DMV riding test

I have to saw that after practicing at my local DMV parking lot for over a month now made me think that I was ready for my test this morning.
she asked me to go in the straight line and go around the circle inside the lines twice and then come back.
I did that fine and I thought I was done.
then she asks me to go inside the cones and then do the same around the circle on the opposite direction.
this time I messed up on the circle and she told me to come back again. ( I put my foot down)
it's not that hard but knowing that if you put your foot down it's over, it makes it hard.
she was standing far from the circle so I doubt she would see me if I went outside of the lines, maybe I should have concentrated on not getting my foot down instead.
Do you guys have any tips beside practice and practice?
I could go in next time with a smaller bike than my 600RR, but now its become a challenge for me.
Thanks

Old 10-12-2006, 04:22 PM
Default RE: DMV riding test

Practice is of course always a good thing, especially in a parking lot.

Most everyone on the forum will also recommend that you do the MSF
(Motorcycle Safety Foundation) Basic Riders Course if you can.

Unless you have practiced a lot, trying to do the test on a 600RR would be
pretty tough, these things aren't the easiest bike to ride slow figure-8's on.

Throttle control is probably your toughest task if you are just starting out, and if that
led to you putting your foot down cause the bike lurched etc, I would recommend feathering
the clutch to control your super low speed corners. Throttle control takes time, and on a 100 HP
bike, it can be a little 'twitchy' as you're learning, to say the least.

Take the MSF class if you can, its a great start. Ride carefully and keep practicing in a safe place.

Chris.

Old 10-12-2006, 04:27 PM

ha! If i had to do the box on my CBR, i'd have never passed MSF!

but i'll bet you 100 bucks i could have passed on my ex! (don't start on a bike like the CBR. it's a dumb thing to do.)

Old 10-12-2006, 04:30 PM

lacbr...hey bud, it's always good to see a new member join the forum. Anyways, in regards to your question(s)...First off...if any of the D.M.V. "Officers", perhaps a Policeman, ever sees you "practicing" out on the "motorcycle test area", they could tell you that you're not allowed to take the motorcycle license test, that you may have to wait another year or some ****. They get REAAALY pissed off when they see people practicing, at least that's how it is here in Ohio. Like if they see someone practicing, they'll take your personal information and store it in their database, that way if you ever get pulled over, or try to take your license test, it'll state...blah blah blah, I'm sure that you know what I'm trying to say. But hey, if you've never got caught, yet, more power to you! I'm not for certain where your from, the motorcycle license test varies from state to state, so, I'm not for certain what "cone test" you're refering to. One of the cone test here in Ohio, you have to weave in-and-out of 4 cones, only set like 2ft apart from one another, and that's nearly impossible...it's very tricky, anyways, I ended up setting my left foot down twice, and only got 5 points taken off total, that's the only thing that I messed up on, and when I was done, the D.M.V. officer told me that I did just fine, that everyone that takes their test seems to have that problem. Well, I stayed and watched a couple of other people, on crotch rockets, take their test, and the same **** happened to them! I passed it my very 1st time, and so did they, so, it'll come to you man, just keep going back, keep practicing. It you can, do some of the test at home. Like, set some cones out in your driveway, etc...Hell, maybe if you fail enough, and keep going back to take your test, the D.M.V. might just say," F**k it! We're tired of seeing this guy! Let's pass him!". LOL! Anyways, I wish you the best of luck man!

Old 10-12-2006, 05:24 PM

You gotta learn to use the rear brake on that slow stuff and counter-lean.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:10 AM

If you fail twice they force you to take the MSF.(Michigan any how)

I passed it with only a week in the saddle, with 0 pts deducted. So its very possible. I would practice some more. my bike rolls at idle nicely, no lurching without ever touching the clutch. nice speed for U-turns and weaves. If you try to manipulate the clutch and you lurch or chang speeds through a U-turn, it makes it difficult. try just idling in first. sit a little to the outside of the seat (counter) and tilt the bike slightly, if you feel your gonna put a foot down then accelerate a little. Practice practice practice...

Nice to hear you practice in a parking lot.

Do you really practice right on the d.m.v course??

Old 10-13-2006, 05:35 AM

ORIGINAL: bushmasterAR15

If you fail twice they force you to take the MSF.(Michigan any how)

I passed it with only a week in the saddle, with 0 pts deducted. So its very possible. I would practice some more. my bike rolls at idle nicely, no lurching without ever touching the clutch. nice speed for U-turns and weaves. If you try to manipulate the clutch and you lurch or chang speeds through a U-turn, it makes it difficult. try just idling in first. sit a little to the outside of the seat (counter) and tilt the bike slightly, if you feel your gonna put a foot down then accelerate a little. Practice practice practice...

Nice to hear you practice in a parking lot.

Do you really practice right on the d.m.v course??

yeah I go over to my local DMV in Los Angeles and practice.
There are no signs telling me I can not.
The funny thing is that I went there early this morning and took about 10 more practice rounds. got out of the lines only once.
But when it came for the real thing, I got all nervious!
I did hear from someone that the DMV in pasadena has signs posted prohiniting any practices.
Does anyone know how many times you can fail in California?

Old 10-13-2006, 06:22 AM

I took MSF Course in Illinois....was WUNDERBAR...

Old 10-13-2006, 06:27 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shouldn't worry about "passing" just to pass, get a grade, and get your endorsement. YOU should feel like you deserve it and are ready to ride it. I've said it MANY MANY times before. Take a MSF class. These class aren't overhyped or anything. The knowledge you gain there will save your life and make riding much more enjoyable knowning that you "know" how to ride correctly, ESPECIALLY since you are a new rider on a 600RR. (which isn't the best choice for a starter bike. - Be extremely careful on it.) She gets angry when you push her the wrong way.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:47 PM

Take it on a NightHawk or equivalent....my dealer lent me one and it was Oh! so much easier!!! I just hated being seen on a NightHawk after riding a 600RR

Quick Reply: DMV riding test