Dirty Valves

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirty Valves

Okay I did my valve clearance check today on my 2007 CBR600RR. My intake was all .008 and two were .007 and my exhaust side was all .011 and two were .012

I don't think I have any issues there do you guys?

Second question, I looked into my cylinder ports below the throttle body to see my valves and here is what I saw:

By tucsonjones at 2011-08-29

The top of the valves look like black sand paper. The bike has 23,xxx miles on it. Is there a good way to take care of this? Will a good injector/fuel cleaning additive work for this or is it too late? I don't want to clean it in place because it is basically carbon and I don't want to risk scoring the cylinder walls. Any Ideas out there?

Final question, since I am this deep how do I check if the spark plugs are okay? At $100 for a set I would like to keep them if they don't need to be replaced.

Thanks for the help,

George

Old 08-30-2011, 11:49 AM

Perhaps Seafoam. I've used in my truck but not the bike(yet). Throw some in the gas, the oil and the vaccum lines to give the entire motor a cleaning. Follow the directions for appropriate amount.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by amRRussel
Perhaps Seafoam. I've used in my truck but not the bike(yet). Throw some in the gas, the oil and the vaccum lines to give the entire motor a cleaning. Follow the directions for appropriate amount.
Seafoamed my 89 5.0 once. What an interesting experience. Was pretty fun thrashing on it with HUGE clouds of black smoke billowing out behind me though haha.

But lots of people seafoam cars, not sure on the specifics of the bike, but its safe.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:59 AM

Yeah it is definitely safe.
Also forgot to mention about your plugs; sorry. They should be tan and have a point at the electrode. Check the color and also check for cracks in the ceramic.
Surely you could find them cheaper than $100 somewhere on the interwebs. Good luck.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my F2 i actually poured a small amount of seafoam onto the valves and let it soak for a day. It was a little hard to start(think i shoulda mixed a lil gas with it) but when it did i ran the bike for about 100 miles and then looked agaion and they werent perfect but it was cleaner looking.

Seafoam in the oil is fun. People think your car is a POS and burning mad oil(which it technically is) but its making your car cleaner.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:40 AM

Thanks for the tips. I got the same tips from some others and went with the seafoam idea. Gonna check back in about a month to see the progress.

Fenatic 93...Shreveport huh? I was born and raised in Monroe.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:14 AM

Yeah I ended up seeing that thread. I think this forum would be interested in the after pictures too if you take them.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by amRRussel
Yeah I ended up seeing that thread. I think this forum would be interested in the after pictures too if you take them.
Yeah 100% to that.

And get video of the seafoaming event haha

Old 09-02-2011, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by TucsonHonda
Thanks for the tips. I got the same tips from some others and went with the seafoam idea. Gonna check back in about a month to see the progress.

Fenatic 93...Shreveport huh? I was born and raised in Monroe.
Whoa, make sure you don't leave the Seafoam in the oil for a month!

With the bike running, you're supposed to just pour a little bit into a vacuum line to clean the intake track. It'll smoke like crazy but it seems to make a difference.

P.S. I used to live in Rancho Sahuarita

Old 09-04-2011, 01:38 AM

No problem on the after pics. I would do the video if I knew which vacuum line to go into. I am going to have to trace it out once I get in there again. I need to make sure I tie into a line that evenly feeds all 4 TB ports.

I didn't go into the oil. The build up is on the bell of the valve so going into the oil wouldn't contact the effected area. Went through the fuel.

SeaFoam has an SOP for going into a vacuum line while the bike is running.

To remove carbon and varnish deposits more quickly, Sea FoamŽ can be induced directly into the combustion chamber via the following method. With the engine warmed up and running, SLOWLY POUR 1/3 to Ŋ can of Sea FoamŽ down the carburetor throat or into any main manifold vacuum line that DISTRIBUTES EVENLY TO ALL CYLINDERS. Note that some newer induction systems, like those found on Vortec and Subaru “H” style engines, do not have any vacuum line that distribute evenly. Consequently, this process should only be attempted by technicians with a comprehensive understanding of the engine’s induction system or use Sea FoamŽ Spray through the throttle body (discribed in a different section of this web site).
Once the product has been applied, turn off the engine and allow the Sea FoamŽ to heat soak for a minimum of 10 minutes. At this time, Sea FoamŽ will dissolve the varnish deposits that hold carbon together. After allowing the Sea FoamŽ to soak, restart the engine in a WELL VENTILATED AREA as exhaust will be extreme for a short time. Drive aggressively for 2 to 5 miles to allow all the atomized carbon to be safely expelled from the system. REPEAT Sea FoamŽ TREATMENT AS NECESSARY

Before attempting this though I think one should consider engine sizes for product amount in application. 1/2 a can is about 8oz and in a 600cc motor compared to a car engine that could be alot. If anyone has any suggestion I'd like to hear them.

Rancho huh? Great neighborhood for kids and singals. I could see a TV show starting there...House Wives of Rancho Sahuarita...

Quick Reply: Dirty Valves