Difference in pipes

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference in pipes

I was wondering what difference does it make having a carbon, titainium, stainless, or what not canister. Is it sound, performance, or just looks. THanks

J

Old 04-18-2006, 05:02 PM
Default RE: Difference in pipes

from what ive found its mostly just looks there is some weight savings to be had from aluminum to titanium or carbon but for the riding i do its not worth it...the only thing i can say is i have a buddy with a carbon pipe and even after a couple hrs of decently hard riding its still cool enough to put your hand on if i end up with a high mount that retains passenger pegs ill go with carbon so they dont get burned.

Old 04-18-2006, 06:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

someone asked about this before but dunno where that post is so i'll give the same advice...
performance wise...nothing (although this one test of an akra ti f/s vs. a non-ti showed that ti had better hp...why? dunno!) since slip on.
weight wise, ti and cf are a bit lighter than Al and way more than SS.
durability...they all pretty good...
sound...about the same...
now here's the part that you'll need to field test...after riding for like 20 minutes hardcore...put your hand on the ti pipe, the cf pipe, the Al pipe and then the SS...
you will go like this "ahhh...warm....ahhh...still warm...ow...that's hot...and lastly....WTF OH $#!T u crazy why did i do this test"...

so there...now pick the Ti...

Old 04-18-2006, 07:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

someone asked about this before but dunno where that post is so i'll give the same advice...
performance wise...nothing (although this one test of an akra ti f/s vs. a non-ti showed that ti had better hp...why? dunno!) since slip on.
weight wise, ti and cf are a bit lighter than Al and way more than SS.
durability...they all pretty good...
sound...about the same...
now here's the part that you'll need to field test...after riding for like 20 minutes hardcore...put your hand on the ti pipe, the cf pipe, the Al pipe and then the SS...
you will go like this "ahhh...warm....ahhh...still warm...ow...that's hot...and lastly....WTF OH $#!T u crazy why did i do this test"...

so there...now pick the Ti...
ive been wondering this i love the look of ti but does it stay as cool as carbon? my buddy has an 06 r6 which supposedly has a ti can but it gets hot as hell is this because of the lower grade ti they use or what?

Old 04-18-2006, 07:21 PM

dunno mang...my akra is just warm...won't burn me or anything...but i'm hardcore...high pain tolerance...buhahha..j/k...no mines doesn't get all hot...just warm.
think your buddy's can isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:47 PM

i dont doubt it which is why i was curious its the stock can it came with but it has titanium stamped all nice and neat in it prob so they can tack another couple bucks on to what i think was already waaaaaaaaaay to much

Old 04-18-2006, 07:57 PM
Retired Administrator

Carbon fiber will run the coolest. The performance gain Tahoe SC mention from the TI vs. non-TI is because the more heat that retains in the pipe and gets spit out the end, the better the results. Why... I dunno on that one either. I've asked but never got an answer that makes sense. This is one advantage of drag cars or the likes wrapping their exhaust in heat tape. It shields the engine and other parts from the heat, but it's also it's claimed to "give more horsepower" Click on this and you'll see a sales pitch for the tape claiming "more horse power".

I only considered buying carbon fiber because I removed all of the heat shielding and I have the undertail exhaust. Kind of had to.

Old 04-18-2006, 08:44 PM

the only thing with cf pipes is that the metal parts of it are aluminum or ss...so the rivets and anything else metal gets HOT...i know mang!

Old 04-18-2006, 09:42 PM

#1- sound #2- looks, that is why i got an aftermartket pipe. the bike has enough ***** to begin with.
performance, not much unless you get the full system along with a power commander--- and with a full system i heard its mostly for high end.
i know u lose hp when it gets too hot so that is where carbon fiber get into effect---thats my guess.