did i f- my engine up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did i f- my engine up?

i had about 1700 miles on my '05 rr and put in semi-synthetic. now about 3300 i changed back to regular oil. i noticed a little sluggish acceleration with the regular oil i just changed to that i did -not- notice when i firstbought it. did going back to regular from trying semi (once) harm my engine? i remember hearing that if you use semi you could always go back to regular but not with full syn. im not sure if its correct. thanks for any helpful input.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:31 PM
Default RE: did i f- my engine up?

Today's full synthetics are 100% compatible with conventional oils. a semi-synthetic is at it's basics a conventional oil with additives, so don't be fooled.

you're fine. the sluggishness you're experiencing... is in your head.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:24 AM

ORIGINAL: knightslugger

hahahahahahahaha

Old 09-26-2007, 08:52 AM

As a personal Preference... (and my choice to make from being a mechanic of 6 years), is to run full Synthetic every time. And I recommend to anyone who wishes to hear my opinion, that if they go Syn. stick with it, and don't go back. I've not, personally, read anywhere that going from synthetic to conventional was alright, and Syn. has been proven MANY times over to be superior to conventional oil (although HOW it's superior differs, whether it's actually better on moving parts, or just lasts longer without breaking down). However... if you keep on the honest side of oil changes, I can't see why regular oil would cause any problems at all, and it's a much cheaper way to go.

I totally agree with Knightslugger with the comment about semi-synthetic just being conventional with Syn. additives. That's very true. And, beware the "bargin-priced" semi-synthetic oils... the amount of synthetic additives can vary by a large degree.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:05 AM

ORIGINAL: baxsom

ORIGINAL: knightslugger

hahahahahahahaha
Can you emphasize on that.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:32 PM

The only answer you need is "no"

Old 09-26-2007, 10:02 PM

Man, your engine is fine. . .if you're feeling sluggish, check the air filter. If your engine is not getting enough air, that's probably why it's sluggish. Throw on a K&N, you'll notice the difference.
As for oil, man just stick with conventional, and change it on time. You'll be fine--synthetic is definitely not worth the added expense, and it probably makes you push your changes further apart because of the added expense.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:06 PM

bikerboy, you would do well to research your understanding of modern lubricants... people stretch out synthetic OCIs because the oil lasts longer, and there for does not require a change out as often as a conventional would.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:20 PM

When I changed from conventional to full synt, I remember the bike feeling different. I wouldn't say there was a loss or gain in performance just that it sounded a bit different and the shifting definitely felt different. I don’t know how else to describe it.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:25 PM

ORIGINAL: blackbears

When I changed from conventional to full synt, I remember the bike feeling different. I wouldn't say there was a loss or gain in performance just that it sounded a bit different and the shifting definitely felt different. I don’t know how else to describe it.
again, all in your dome. it felt different and "better" because it was fresh oil...

Quick Reply: did i f- my engine up?