Did 1st oil change on the RR today

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did 1st oil change on the RR today

With 170 decent miles on the new RR, it was time to change the oil. Since I am leading another short ride today, I wanted to get it done before that ride. The oil was definately black, and luckilly the filter for my F4 is the same as the RR, which I happened to have.

Total time to change was about 30 minutes or so... since it was my first time taking the lower fairing off. Pictures are here. [/align]

Old 10-28-2007, 05:02 PM
Default RE: Did 1st oil change on the RR today

The dealership and the manual say 600 miles before 1st change. Why so soon?

Old 10-28-2007, 05:08 PM

because there is a lot of crap in the engine from the factory, the machine oil from assembly, gasket compound. (the UOA of my 1st oil change had silicone off the scale from gasket particles in the oil)
not to mention any metal dust from the intial run in. the majority of the engine wear from break in will ocurr during the first 20-30 miles according to all the research i have accomplished.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:28 PM

Was it hard to change? I'm having the dealership do my 600 this coming Saturday. I figured it's worth the money for them to check the whole bike out and such. I'm not as handy as most. But, I would like to change my own oil/filter the next time.

ORIGINAL: MikeN

With 170 decent miles on the new RR, it was time to change the oil. Since I am leading another short ride today, I wanted to get it done before that ride. The oil was definately black, and luckilly the filter for my F4 is the same as the RR, which I happened to have.

Total time to change was about 30 minutes or so... since it was my first time taking the lower fairing off. Pictures are here. [/align]

Old 10-28-2007, 06:34 PM

Interesting, i've heard stuff like that all along. I dont believe anyone really has any problems though by waiting til the 600 miles. Anyone know otherwise?
Is the 600 mile first service from the dealer just a scam anyhow? Like a $200 oil change? lol. Did you experienced guys goto the dealership for the 1st service?

Old 10-28-2007, 07:23 PM

Yup... IMO it is a scam by the dealers[8D] But if you aren't handy... you pay

I recommend doing the Oil change between 50-200 miles on new vehicles. As for the bike specifically... just prior to your 1000 miles or so, I suggest you check your chain for adjustment (you should be cleaning/lubing too!), and check all your major bolts (caliper bolts, body panels, etc) for proper torque, etc.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:49 PM

That engine "Oil" is (well, WAS...) doing wonderful things inside your motor before you dumped it out. dumb move. oh well, done is done. not so hard to do though, is it? To think these dealerships charge such an outrageous price for such a menial task as this boarders on the hysterical.

Baxsom, according to other UOAs i've read in the past, engine break-in takes a long time to come full circle on the CBR600RR powerplant, and that normal wear doesn't start evening out to normal levels until well into, and quite possibly past, the 5000 mile mark.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:38 PM

Yeah, well the first 600 mile service may be a rip-off to some. But, it gives me peace of mind to get it done by someone qualified, (I'm not) to check the bike out. And may also be of benefit if I ever need to have Warranty work done, (Proving Service was done at recommended intervals). Showing Service Records other than a backyard mechanic, may help resale too. Just a couple thoughts.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:41 PM

just because they work at a honda dealership, does not make them qualified personnel...

Old 10-28-2007, 08:43 PM

Good Point. At least I have someone to go back to if something goes wrong under Warranty. We can agree to disagree. My peace of mind. :-)
ORIGINAL: knightslugger

just because they work at a honda dealership, does not make them qualified personnel...

Quick Reply: Did 1st oil change on the RR today