dealer ripoff?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealer ripoff?

okay i kinda am unsure oh what i want to do. i am going to be gettin my 600 mile oil change and stuff done in a month or so and i want frame sliders. basically the guy at the dealer said like 300 maybe cheaper to do the whole oil change and valve check or w/e and install the sliders (sliders not included in price). so im gunna be paying about 140 to 150 to have them installed. should i pay or should i do it myself!? because i am new to motorcycle repair and work, and if they mess up and do a bad job i can have them try again at there expense. keepin in mind the miles im gunna be puttin on are my first miles ever on the bike and for me. so by waiting i might crash before then.so im very undesided HELP!

thx, steve

Old 03-02-2006, 03:42 PM
Default RE: dealer ripoff?

If you're not mechanically inclined then have the dealer or a friend do it that is experienced, but just so you know you're paying close to 200 bucks for an oil change that you can do yourself for about 40 bucks and an hours worth of labor (and an hour is an over shot). The dealer doesn't do a valve check at the 600 mile check up and if they told you that, they're telling a lie. Most places will charge around 100 dollars for frame slider installation, but then again, they're not too difficult to install and there is some very good, detailed instructions on how to install them on this and other forums, think of the pride and sense of accomplishment you'll get if you do these things yourself...and the money you'll save!

Old 03-02-2006, 04:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Fretless33

If you're not mechanically inclined then have the dealer or a friend do it that is experienced, but just so you know you're paying close to 200 bucks for an oil change that you can do yourself for about 40 bucks and an hours worth of labor (and an hour is an over shot). The dealer doesn't do a valve check at the 600 mile check up and if they told you that, they're telling a lie. Most places will charge around 100 dollars for frame slider installation, but then again, they're not too difficult to install and there is some very good, detailed instructions on how to install them on this and other forums, think of the pride and sense of accomplishment you'll get if you do these things yourself...and the money you'll save!
+1

Old 03-02-2006, 05:17 PM

ORIGINAL: steve00ses

okay i kinda am unsure oh what i want to do. i am going to be gettin my 600 mile oil change and stuff done in a month or so and i want frame sliders. basically the guy at the dealer said like 300 maybe cheaper to do the whole oil change and valve check or w/e and install the sliders (sliders not included in price). so im gunna be paying about 140 to 150 to have them installed. should i pay or should i do it myself!? because i am new to motorcycle repair and work, and if they mess up and do a bad job i can have them try again at there expense. keepin in mind the miles im gunna be puttin on are my first miles ever on the bike and for me. so by waiting i might crash before then.so im very undesided HELP!

thx, steve
before my bike I never worked on anything auto sorta related...the dealer jacked up my bike...I only do my own work now

I have learned so much about my bike...I love working on it almost as much as the ride...you can download a service manual that literally walks you through most things

I would for sure do the oil change yourself and check out the links here for the install and see what you think

Old 03-02-2006, 07:08 PM

yeah i am very car friendly so im not like out in left feild. but its just sometimes i dont wanna mess up something so nice. but thats fine if they are rippin me off i'll do it myself. and i guess i'll be a man and do a lil drilling thx for the input.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:44 PM

Most places will tell you that they aren't responsible if it's not done perfect so why not do it yourself and save a few bucks.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:15 PM

Damn dude, I'll install them for you for $50. It's not hard. No way I would pay a dealer that much, plus you know you'll pay a premium if buy the sliders through the dealer. DIY

Old 03-02-2006, 10:29 PM

agreed... DIY! i'm no pro at working on bikes but i've got friends who can help and walk me through it.

Old 03-03-2006, 07:25 PM

I paid $100 for my 600 mile service this past fall. I like to have the dealer do the work for warranty reasons. I got the extended warranty and I don't want to have any hassles if something goes wrong. This way the dealer has the records. I think the cost to install the sliders is a little pricey.

Old 03-04-2006, 01:25 PM

Paying the dealer that much to do an oil change is just ridiculous. The filter can't be more than $10 and the oil is what, $3.50 a quart and you need to buy 4 of them. That adds up to $24 and they are charging $100+ I'm sorry but I'd be learning how to do stuff to my bike really fast. No offense to anyone, I know some people don't have anywhere to put the oil after a change or something like that or don't want to comprimise the warrenty, but for something you can do yourself for more than half the cost I'd find a friend that has someplace to drain the oil. Thats just my .02

About the frame sliders kiggy74 did an awesome write-up on how to do it using a laser level. You can get the level from wal mart for $20 it really works great, I used his instructions when I did mine and it turned out great. If you have already done some mechanical work you will be just fine, just take your time and do it right. Do some searches and see what people have done.

-Jesse-

Quick Reply: dealer ripoff?