Crashed my 2007

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 02:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Crashed my 2007

IANAL, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night either! (ok, lame joke!)

I just went through a similar incident where a nice ederly man rear ended my 4 month old S2000 with extremely low miles (3rd car). The fight with insurance was nasty. I wanted a new car, it took me lawyering up and six months to get it.

Here are some things I would try:
1) go get a checkup from the Dr.
2) there may be $3k in damage, but some states allow "diminished value". Basically, your motorcycle is worth less on the market now because it was damaged. Even if it is fixed, it will never be worth the same as it would have been had it not been damaged. This "diminished value" + the repair charges may be enough to push his insurance company to total the bike and get you a new one.

Again, his insurance company may be nice, consider that they are getting off cheap by giving you a check for a new bike as well. I would not count on that!

Good luck, and glad to hear that you are ok.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:16 AM

Take it to another shop and get another estimate. Tell the shop you want a new bike and see what they can do in terms of jackin' up the estimate or deeming it unrepairable.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:00 AM

just make sure they run the bike through computrack to see everything is straight...you'll be fine...

Old 06-01-2007, 07:00 AM

Screw that. It'll never be right again, no matter what. I guarantee that both fork legs are bent, the steering head bearings took quite a beating and the triples are probably compromised too. Yeah, it'd probably ride ok with new parts, but there will always be more damage than what you know about or the geniuses at the dealer.

If a bike is lowsided = usually just as it was mechanically and back to normal
If a bike is highsided bad = all hosed up
Any collision of decent speed = never the same

I highsided mine last year and had it trailered back to my house for MY OWN inspection. Aside from body and cosmetics, the subframe was bent and the frame had a small mark on it. I flipped it who knows how many times and it was done. I made sure it was done too. I did not want that back even after "all fixed" I took a sledge hammer to the frame to make sure there was no question about it.

If this was a few years old with high mileage or whatever, I'd be one thing. But a brand spanking new bike with 87 miles on it...I'd get a lwayer and get a new bike. This is going to get really nasty too with the insurance co.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:40 AM

Thats sucks big time...Any pictures?

Old 06-01-2007, 10:59 AM

I had a similar thing happen to me. Guy pulled out right in front of me and hit him broad side. Went clear over the handlebars and his hood, right square on my back. I thought the bike would be totaled and really wanted it to be but it wasn't. Got a check for about $4500 and fixed it myself for about a grand. Didn't fix small things like scratched starter cover but did have the chance and money to mod it a bit. Forks are fine, bike rides as good as new and Iwas probably going faster than 20. You can want a new bike all you want but probably will never get it. If they can fix it cheaper than totaling it, that's what they will do. If it was totaled, you wouldn't get a new bike anyway, you'd get the depreciated value of it and loss money. Take the extra money, after YOU fix it and buy some extras for your bike. You'll learn a lot about your bike in the process, I sure did. Also, see if you can get a new helmet out of it cause it's now "wasted" do to the fact it was hit. It worked for me, an extra $450! Good luck.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:24 AM

sorry for what happened, glad you're ok. My suzuki (not gixxer, suv lol) was sideswiped by a guy who ran a red light. it was right in front of a cop. and of course the cosmetic damage was repaired but my steering is way off (which is not obvious) veers to the left and isnt the same. the insurance said if i can prove its caused by the accident, etc.. i'd have to pay $800 to take the steering apart to have it checked.. it ran on rails before the impact. anyway, i agree taking it to other shops to get higher estimates might help to get it totaled. or i dont know how much it costs but maybe a shop that specializes in frame jigs.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:17 AM

i think the ins. co. will only total a new bike if the repairs exceed 60% of the total cost. get a lawyer and sue the guys ins. co. insurance company's will always try to play hardball at first, but when they realize they are gonna end up in court, they will usually try to settle out. also, probably wouldn't hurt to say your neck hurts or something(make sure you go to the doctor a bunch of times) voila, new bike!

Old 06-02-2007, 03:23 AM

87 miles - ouch!

Yeah, I'd want a new one too.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:03 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

whenenever you are involved in an accident (auto or motorcycle..etc) 1st thing is goto the DR. get fully checked out. 2ndly take your bike to atleast 3 different shops and get full estimates (also doesnt hurt to take it to a friends shop and have them up the quote for you)

Quick Reply: Crashed my 2007