Couple of noobie questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of noobie questions

About how many miles is considered the break in period? And how should you ride during this time? Next I know that you are supposed to let the engine warm up some before riding. My question is how much is needed? Is there a temp it should be at before riding or just a little bit of time like a car so the oil and stuff has time to circulate. Thanks. And sorry if they are stupid questions. I am just trying to get as much info before i start riding. Oh and dont know if it makes a diff but its an 05. Thanks

J

Old 01-30-2006, 08:51 PM
Default RE: Couple of noobie questions

The break in period is usually 600 miles which is when you are supposed to take your bike in for the first tune up. Also, you are supposed to let it warm up to 100 degrees before riding. Hope this answers your questions.

Old 01-30-2006, 10:57 PM

Tysonlee is correct about 600 miles for the first tune up & 100 degrees before riding. They say not to take your bike over 6k RPM's which is about 70MPH in 6th gear but some people say break it in the way your going to ride. Hope this helps you out & no question is a stupid question.

I take that back some people ask stupis questions but yours was just fine !

Old 01-30-2006, 10:58 PM

Don't run at the same speed all the time either during your break in. Try to very the speeds and rpm's during this time.

Old 01-31-2006, 12:09 AM

ORIGINAL: lang1864

About how many miles is considered the break in period? And how should you ride during this time? Next I know that you are supposed to let the engine warm up some before riding. My question is how much is needed? Is there a temp it should be at before riding or just a little bit of time like a car so the oil and stuff has time to circulate. Thanks. And sorry if they are stupid questions. I am just trying to get as much info before i start riding. Oh and dont know if it makes a diff but its an 05. Thanks

J
not getting on you, but did you get an owners manual with you bike?

I was so excited about my bike had mine read the 1st night I bought it....

keep the questions coming bro...tons of knowledge round here

Old 01-31-2006, 01:44 AM

My bike is actually still at the dealership. I got them to give me and install a couple of parts for free. When i get it i will read it

Old 01-31-2006, 04:47 AM

WTF? they gave ya some insentive parts.. i never knew that.. if i may ask, what they give ya?.. usually when you buy something expensive they only give you like a free shirt or something haha..

Old 01-31-2006, 11:53 AM

I usually let the bike warm up to 100 degrees F or more...

Old 01-31-2006, 12:58 PM

We talked them into a fender eliminator with leds in the back and a new tail light. We went between 2 dealerships and got one to beat the other. So i got a brand new never riden 05 600RR black + those parts for 8000. Thats including all dealer costs and everything. I think i did good. But we also but that sales man through hell. HAHA

Old 01-31-2006, 09:45 PM

yeah thats a nice deal man... there's debated ways to break in a bike but believe me you don't have access to the facilities to do it the extreme way... take it easy, vary the RPM range from idle to 7000 rpm while riding. If you're doing say 45mph shift between 4th, 5th, and 6th and back down over the course of 10 minutes or so of cruising to vary the RPM range... don't gun it... take it easy for the first 600, take it back to the dealer, get the oil changed, get a new filter... then take it home, ride it like you want, never take it back to the dealer again! lol.

sorry, it's cheaper just to do everything yourself and save the receipts.

Quick Reply: Couple of noobie questions