Convincing them?

Old 12-12-2007, 12:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convincing them?

So, My mom is totally against me getting a bike. I havnt told my dad that I got my permit and signed up for my MSF classes because im not sure how he'll react to it. I mean hes ridden my uncles bike before and he seemed to have a good time, but when it come to my safety, I dont know.

Bottom Line..

I need them to co-sign. Any tips on convincing them? Ive showed my mom Im determined, prepared, taking it slowly, taking msf, i missed 0 on my test. etc.

any help?

Old 12-12-2007, 01:26 AM
Default RE: Convincing them?

call grandpa... and find a new place to live

Old 12-12-2007, 02:58 AM

If you can. Convince them to go with you to the MSF course and ask questions, observe. Pretty much every parent that I've talk to that hasn't ridden a motorcycle before assume they are the worst things on the road. Reason being is they only see crash aftermaths, that squid doing smokey burnouts at the stop lights, wheelies on the interstate... etc. If shown that people actually take the time and responsibility to use them properly: The parents can be shown that they are just another form of transportation that can be enjoyable.

Even before I got my bike I assumed the worse and was "man, bikes are incredibility dangerous". But then I just realized they are dangerous in the wrong hands.

Be smart about it... Show them you don't want the fastest or newestthing out there, you want to make gear for yourself and the bike your initial investment, start talking to them about how you've been studying the bikes and what are the things to watch out for (this impressed my dad, he tried to quiz me but I blew him away and went on talking about things for 30+mins..lol), let them know you're willing to work with them (ie. start off in parking lotsunder their supervision, ride only when they are following you, setting round trip mileage...etc) and if they say no.... don't worry. Use that time to save up for the stuff and track days . .... It is incredibility hard to convince parents especially at your age(i'm assuming you're younger)but don't give up.

+1 on doing your research before you hope on one of these things. Shows a huge amount of maturity on your part. I just hope you can hold that together when you get on one and are tempted to impress that girl or your friends.

Goodluck!!!

Old 12-12-2007, 04:43 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mom was totally against me getting a bike, but now she is fine with it and actually likes it. No one has ever had a motorcycle in my family, so it was considered taboo. But, when I signed up for the 5-day Riders Edge course at a Harley Davidson dealer, it was beginning to get easier to talk to her about it, but her answer was still no (and I was still living at the nest, so I kind of had to listen)

A few months of bugging and bugging and bugging about getting a bike passed as she finally accepted the fact that I was eventually going to get a bike. So she was "okay" about it, but would refuse to help me purchase it. She said that she could never live with herself helping me get a motorcycle, and end up getting killed because of it. (because at the time, I thought I needed a co-signer). So I told her that I wouldn't ask anyone for help and buy it myself. The next day, I went down to a Federal Credit Union, got a loan for a great APR and purchased my bike.

At first, it was shock. She was angered that I actually bought one and hated it. A few months later, she began to warm up to it. Now, she loves it and likes to show it off to all my nieces and nephews when we have family gatherings.

Don't know if this little story helps, but that's kind of how it went down with me. Act mature about it, and show your parents that you are mature enough to handle one. Sit them down and have a serious conversation about getting it, and ask why they don't want you to get one. Then address their concerns about it.

You may get into yelling matches, and it may take a couple of months for them to "give in", but both my parents really like my bike now that I've had it for 1.5 years (either that or they're really good at faking it. )

Old 12-12-2007, 07:11 AM

wait until you can buy one on your own?

either that or prove that you can pay for the bike and insurance (it will be very very high)

on your own then hope for the best

Old 12-12-2007, 07:32 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ when I bought my bike, full coverage insurance for the bike was cheaper than liability for my car. (through State Farm anyway) That's since changed, but bike insurance isn't that much anymore (willing you shop around for it and stay clear of Progressive and Gieco)

But being able to prove you can pay for it and the insurance helps the "pro" side to your argument of getting a bike.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:00 AM

My parents were totally against motorcycles too.So I bought my 250cc Rebel while they were out of town, and when they came home, the bike was already in the garage. I initially broke them in by saying it was 'leased', that I didn't buy it. I said that I just wanted to "try it out, with no committment". I've been riding for over four years now and have the 600 RR. They still worry everytime I ride like every parent, but they also think it's pretty darn cool. They also know I have taken the MSF's BRCand ERC.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:06 AM

Oh yeah, like Blue Fox said- Mine also like to show it off at family gatherings.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:34 PM

I would say that you tell yoru dad and see what he has to say, or else you may never find out until you get yoru bike hahaa. but yeah as others have suggested tell them about the msf class... or move out lol.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:09 AM

If you can convince your Dad, you'll have halfway won the battle haha. Took a long time to convince my Dad. But when I took the MSF course I think he realized I was pretty serious. That it wasn't just some phase that I was going to go through lol. Just take the necessary steps. Because they know if you really want to, sooner or later you will ride a motorcycle whether they like it or not. And the best they can do is atleast try and make sure you're taking the responsible way through it all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Convincing them?