Coming out of storage

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coming out of storage

I just had a quick question. Soon I will be getting my bike out of storage for the first time and I was wondering if there is anything specific I need to do. When I stored the bike about 4 months ago I took the battery out, got the oil changed and put Stabil in the gas tank and let it sit. My main question is do I need to get the oil changed again?? I have heard people say that metal shavings from the internals will collect while it is stored and I need to get it changed again. Others say that since the oil was new when it was stored it is just fine. So is there anything I need to do??

For reference I have an '05 600RR with 700 miles on it.

Old 02-26-2006, 02:19 PM
Default RE: Coming out of storage

If it's only been sitting for a few months, just make sure the battery is charged, start her up, then ride and smile!

Old 02-27-2006, 07:27 PM

dont forget to let the engine warm up to normal operating temp before takeing off on it.

Old 02-27-2006, 08:48 PM

like they said, your main concern is charging the battery and letting the engine warm. No need to waist good oil!

Old 02-27-2006, 11:35 PM

that is why people will usually put as crappy and cheap of oil for the storage time and then switch it out for the good stuff

Old 02-28-2006, 06:45 PM

If you changed the oil before you put it in stowage and did not ride around with the new oil, your good to go.Check your air psi
Check the chain, clean and lube. If you did not do this before you put it away it could have some surface rust on chain.
I like to clean with kerosene. Then fully dry with rags and blow dry with compressed air. Then I adjust chain if needed. Ride around block to warm up chain. Last put on some chain wax and not ride for at least 15min. I get good results from that with very minimal chain fling.
If you store your bike for along time. I like to wash, polish ,and wax bike, fill up tank to top, Add stabilizer, remove plugs and oil cylinders/replace plugs, cover intake and exhaust with slightly oilly rag with plastic covering holes, remove battery, bring indoors and put on batt tender. Clean adj and lube chain. Air up tires and put on stands. Then cover bike with a breathable cover.
It is a bit of work but it is worth it.
If you cover your intake/exhaust make sure you put a piece of tape or a sign that tells you not to start without removing rags.

Old 02-28-2006, 06:59 PM

Metal shavings should not be a concern. If you run the motor much after the oil change it builds up acid in the oil and condensation that can damage internals.
Before I went on deployment 6months I drained oil and filled motor to the top of the oil fill(5 or 6 qts)of cheep 10w40 car oil on my SV.
When I returned drained and filled with good oil and changed filter. Rode for 300 or so miles and changed filter again.
Might sound excessive but it was cheep insurance.

Old 02-28-2006, 07:18 PM

Check all your fluids, oil, brake, coolant. tyre pressures and your good to go get yourself back into it.

Old 03-01-2006, 04:14 AM
L8X

yep, check your tires and tire pressure.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:40 AM

ORIGINAL: L8X

yep, check your tires and tire pressure.
All this talk about checking your tire pressure, which should be standard practice every time you ride...how many of you check it every ride? Don't feel obligated to answer...it's kind of a rhetorical question

Quick Reply: Coming out of storage