Combined -ABS Newb needs input

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Combined -ABS Newb needs input

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and CBR's. I'll be taking my Saftey class next month and right now, I'm doing alot of reading. The 600CBR's is my first pick...as well as my first bike, and I was wondering if anyone can throw there input on whether or not I should go with the ABS equiped models or not. although I see posts here and there saying that you shouldn't for xyz reasons. Other reviews supporting it can also seem bias, "honda sponsored" so of course they say it's great.
It sounds like a good idea to me after reviewing some vid's on how the system works on these bikes, but would love to hear more from anyone that is rideing with it or has had experiance with the CABS vs non CABS.

Thanks, Chris.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:22 AM

Antilock Braking has been around for a while but putting it on a bike is great for the none experience drivers. Of coarse like anything else it is going to have its flause for a while but you are buying a Honda and they will have less flause then any other company. My friend just got an 09 with the abs and he loves it. Ive also seen alot of reviews and I thing its a great thing even for the experienced drivers. Last year a fellow rider and friend got killed when he locked the front brake on his R1 and put the bike on top of him at 70 mph; an abs system would not have done this. Johnny

Old 04-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Think he's talking about Honda making the ABS linked, front and rear. Not sure I'd like linked front and rear brakes, abs or not. I barely use the rear now as is. But regardless, I know there are times when you'd want the rear brake only.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:58 PM

On June 9, 2008, Honda revealed a CBR600RR prototype that featured an all new braking system branded as Combined ABS which integrates combined braking, anti-lock braking, and brake-by-wire systems. Combined ABS uses a computer control unit to ensure the correct balance of front and rear brake use and also controls when the ABS should engage. The system is designed to be as unobtrusive as possible by delaying the engagement of the ABS until the last possible moment.

It's all in your driving style. If your first bike has combined ABS, you'll learn to brake with it. Don't freak out about it, it's just a thing. You'll adjust your riding style to work with it.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:10 PM

I just recently purchased a 2010 cbr 600 and I had a choice of abs or not. I choose not to for the simple fact that with an ABS equipped bike, that's more sensors and stuff to break and expensive to fix. Before I purchased the bike, I asked about replacement parts, sensors, computer for abs etc, and in Japan the prices were around $1,500 to replace the whole ABS system should it fail the system check.

The ABS linked brakes I do not like for the simple fact that I like to drag my rear break on tight (slow) turns etc to keep the suspension tight, with linked brakes, its hard to drag one break.

So for me, I went with traditional brakes, and I will adapt as needed. But as mentioned above, it does save lives...

Old 04-11-2010, 09:48 PM

Bare in mind I have ner personally tried an ABS bike, but Honda claims the ABS \ link system only kicks in "at the last possible moment." I too like to tap the rear on turns, and I don't see light or moderate brake usage like that setting the system off. They're talking about slamming on the brakes in an emergency. You can always just go to the dealer, and try them both. Doesn't cost a dime, and then you have your answer.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:00 PM

I'm for the ABS if in fact they are suggested for the new rider, and are for sure safer. A couple of points I am looking to clear up is.... What happens when the ABS system fails? Does the bike return to a "normal braking style" is there a sensor which tells me when the combined ABS system needs service/has failed? even if the cost is 1500ish to replace, as long as it helps my braking it's worth it in my mind. I would think that the systems failure is minimal. ???

My only other thought is.... will Combined ABS become even more main stream in other bikes in the future? I ask this because, although this will be my first bike, and suggestions are, that for this fact... I should go with the ABS... will this hurt me in the future, if I switch to a non ABS?

I guess I just want an to know, after all points viewed... does the combined ABS system...save lives more than not, even after looking after any type of costs.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by cswann821
I'm for the ABS if in fact they are suggested for the new rider

If you are a new rider, and this is what you grow yourself as a rider with, then this is what is safest for you. It is what you learned to use, and thus are more comfortable with, and know the in and outs of. Switching from one to the other as an experienced rider is a different story. The instincts you developed may not apply to all the new situations, and may land you in trouble.

What happens when the ABS system fails? Does the bike return to a "normal braking style"
I think you're not asking the question you want the answer to. If the Anti-Lock Brake system (the computer that vibrates the brakes to stop while simultaneously preventing locking) fails, then yes, the bike just has "normal brakes" (and yes, a light comes on, just like your car). Your worry seems to be more related to the Brake-By-Wire system, which takes electronic feedback from how hard you're hitting the brakes, and in turn increases the pressure in the brake lines by that amount using a hydrolic piston or pump. Imagine it as you sitting on top of an toy RC car, and using the levers on the remote to tell it how fast to go. The brake lever with BbW is just a remote-control for the braking system. If the BbW system fails, you have NO brakes. I believe THIS is where your fear is.

NOW, many, MANY cars have been using Throttle-by-Wire and Brake-by-Wire for YEARS, and we haven't seen anything in the news about someone's BbW failing. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Due to the insane lawsuit a single one of these failures can bring about, I would imagine that the mfgr would install a safety mechanism that would be triggered when the system fails, and flash a light while slowly applying the brakes and bringing the vehicle to a safe stop (or something, somehow).

On the other hand, the whole problem Toyota is having with their Prius accelerators right now is in their Throttle-by-Wire system, where the computer is thinking the driver is pressing the accelerator pedal when he actually isn't, and instructing the car to accelerate.

My only other thought is.... will Combined ABS become even more main stream in other bikes in the future?
It already is. Many high-end cruisers come with it, and some of them don't even give you a choice. BMW comes to mind. Honda offers it on all it's current Goldwings and I think the Silverwings. They were just the first company to offer it on a SPORT bike, and now that it's their selling point, all the other manufacturers are going to have to say "Hey! We do that too!"

Old 04-13-2010, 12:18 AM

Well I guess, I'll just go for it. I've heard a great deal of positive advocation for it. I'll let you know how it feels. Its not like im going to miss non-ABS...since this is my first bike.
Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by cswann821; 04-13-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for the ABS question, I'm with Johnny in thinking that it will probably be an extreme situation where the system will kick in and that it doesn't seem like a bad thing.

My concern lies with the brake-by-wire, and that is not something I will ever get on a bike (or in my car). When all other systems fail, and they sometimes do for whatever reason (dead battery, short, blown fuse, loose plug), I'd rather have the proven manual system. Plus I grew up with hydraulic brakes and am distrusting of extreme automation. I'm not completely versed on the ABS systems, and this is all assuming that they don't have some kind of a redundant manual hydraulic system in the event of a computer or BBW failure.

Short answer, I might go for the ABS but if it comes with BBW I'll go with the classic hydraulic setup sans ABS.

Quick Reply: Combined -ABS Newb needs input