Check your tire pressure!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

R Dub, you still aren't understanding what the recommended pressures in the book mean. Read what I wrote and what SR big wig Andrew Trevitt along with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. These aren't just websites by random people like Scorpion thinks....which is quite laughable and why its obvious that he is a squid.

Maybe you've been riding since you were six, but if that's the case, I'd expect you to understand tire pressures better. Please understand why I am suspect of your experience.

Do what you want. I said what I had to.

EDIT: Oh, I never said Honda was wrong...BTW.

Last edited by DrAwkwArD; 03-10-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:20 AM
2011 Ride of the Year

this a a quote from www.dunlopmotorcycle.com. the site you gave.

The overflexing that occurs from running a tire for an extended period of time in an underinflated condition can cause the tire to split in the sidewall. If this happens on the inside of the tire and is hidden from your sight, then it can spread and eventually result in a blister and blow out of the sidewall. This sudden deflation may cause loss of control with serious consequences.

A particular hazard of an under-inflated tire is hitting, for example, a pothole. This may result in a sudden deflation or it can buckle the tire over the rim flange causing extensive damage to the tire and eventual failure.

so what are you talking about???

Old 03-11-2011, 03:30 AM
2011 Ride of the Year

as to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. just because they tell you its safe doesnt mean it is. its bunch of people sitting in a room trying to think of numbers that seem safe. i bet they never even sat on a bike before. europes traffic safety admin might say 40psi is safe, anywhere in the world you will go, those numbers will change.

now which one of those countries is correct???

none unless is says what your manual is saying.

i am a squid, but a squid with common sense.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:47 AM
Banned

How about you both run the psi you think is correct, and whoever crashes first loses?? That might be the only way we can settle this

Last edited by kazspeed; 03-11-2011 at 04:49 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:15 AM
2011 Ride of the Year

Originally Posted by kazspeed
How about you both run the psi you think is correct, and whoever crashes first loses?? That might be the only way we can settle this
this is a great idea. but i dont think crashing is in a picture.
i wouldnt wish that on anyone.

be safe out there.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:06 PM

I can't help it. You're just too ridiculous NOT to respond to.

Originally Posted by scorpionvmu
this a a quote from www.dunlopmotorcycle.com. the site you gave.

The overflexing that occurs from running a tire for an extended period of time in an underinflated condition....

so what are you talking about???
Underinflating a Dunlop is running it around 25PSI or less at a slow pace. A dunlop at 30PSI to 35PSI cold is going to be happy. Running one at 35-36PSI cold for everyday commuting is perfectly acceptable also for single rider.

I set my Pirelli's at 27/25 F/R cold at the beginning of trackdays and they rise to 32/34 sometimes. Hot pressures are around 30/30 after being adjusted. Anything higher, even 1 or 2PSI will cause tire slippage.

When I go out for a spirited ride (which is hard to do in this **** hole city) I start at cold pressures of 32PSI and gain about 3PSI. Normal commuting is done at 35/36 cold and I usually only gain 1 or 2 PSI tops.

Originally Posted by scorpionvmu
as to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. just because they tell you its safe doesnt mean it is. its bunch of people sitting in a room trying to think of numbers that seem safe. i bet they never even sat on a bike before. europes traffic safety admin might say 40psi is safe, anywhere in the world you will go, those numbers will change.

now which one of those countries is correct???

none unless is says what your manual is saying.

i am a squid, but a squid with common sense.
Come on man, do a little research. The NHTSA has been the preeminent group capable of reporting and study on motorcycle related accidents and safety since Dr. Harry Hurt's groundbreaking report (Hurt Report) came out in 1981. They're not just a bunch of pencil pushers.

I know it's fun to think you know everything as a squid, but you don't. Instead of immediately discounting what you think to be ****-talking about Honda (you're obviously a brandfag), do a little research into tire pressures and performance. Hit up your local tire reps and ask advice. There's more to motorcycling than looking cool in a parking lot. Tire pressures, suspension and proper riding are more important than any chrome piece or LED you can bolt on your bike.

Your Honda Ownders Manual is NOT the Bible.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Banned

Old 03-11-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by kazspeed

I'm genuinely not trying to be a jerk or anything. But it seems there's a LOT of riders who don't understand the effects of tire pressure. It's incredibly important.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:50 PM

HAHAA!! I'm the original poster... I just signed on and saw all the responses... im so proud that i sparked such a controversy!! JK :-)

I mean, now i am all confused. I agree that the manual probably isnt the end-all-be-all of information, but if you cant follow simple specifications like tire pressure from the manual, then how can you trust anything from the manual???????

I think, based on this conversation, that i am going to lower the pressure to maybe 38-40 PSI in the back and like 32-34 PSI in the front... ****!!!

lol

Old 03-11-2011, 01:52 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by DrAwkwArD
R Dub, you still aren't understanding what the recommended pressures in the book mean.
How do you misinterrupt this: Name:  IMG_20110311_134426.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  109.3 KB

Quick Reply: Check your tire pressure!!