Check your tire pressure!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check your tire pressure!!

I live in NY and ride a 2009 600RR... since about November, the bike has been tucked away in the garage on a trickle-charger. Since November i have been taking it out for a FREEZING COLD 5-ish mile rides just to get the juices flowing about once every 2-3 weeks.

Just last week, it was about 60 degrees and I went for a full-day ride. I brought it over to a gas station and checked the tires, and the PSI was around 25 in the front and back!! I couldnt really notice anything when riding, but the rear tire should be about 42 and the front just short of that (i think 36 or something like that).

I filled them up and immediately noticed a HUGE different riding. Scary that i didnt notice any sooner. I didnt realize, but the tires really lose air quicker than i thought.

Checking tire pressure seems like a simple thing to do, but many people overlook this. CAREFUL!!!!

Happy and SAFE riding season!!

Old 03-10-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by impulsebuy
I live in NY and ride a 2009 600RR... since about November, the bike has been tucked away in the garage on a trickle-charger. Since November i have been taking it out for a FREEZING COLD 5-ish mile rides just to get the juices flowing about once every 2-3 weeks.

Just last week, it was about 60 degrees and I went for a full-day ride. I brought it over to a gas station and checked the tires, and the PSI was around 25 in the front and back!! I couldnt really notice anything when riding, but the rear tire should be about 42 and the front just short of that (i think 36 or something like that).

I filled them up and immediately noticed a HUGE different riding. Scary that i didnt notice any sooner. I didnt realize, but the tires really lose air quicker than i thought.

Checking tire pressure seems like a simple thing to do, but many people overlook this. CAREFUL!!!!

Happy and SAFE riding season!!
That rear tire pressure you recommended isn't very safe for any type of spirited riding around town. The only time running 42psi in any of your motorcycle tires is good, is when you're hype-rmiling on a long straight trip.

Please don't recommend pressures if you don't know the correct numbers. Each tire manufacturer has a different set of numbers but most are around 35-36 both front and rear (you had the front correct) for normal street riding.

Also, your tires SHOULDN'T lose much pressure. The change in temps could cause some fluctuation or leaking, but not that much...not 15psi. Check your rims for leaks.

Check your manufacturers site or local tire reps for good pressures for your tires....and CHECK YOUR PRESSURES OFTEN. A spongy front or rear can cause a lowside in less time than it takes you to blink.

Also, when going out for a spirited weekend blast on the bike, make sure you set your pressures a little lower than usual to allow for pressure increase with tire heat (my Rosso Corsa rear builds 5 to 7psi in under 10 minutes at the beginning of the day during a track day). If you're already starting high, this increase can cause over-inflated tires.

Just be careful and check before you ride.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:17 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by DrAwkwArD
That rear tire pressure you recommended isn't very safe for any type of spirited riding around town. The only time running 42psi in any of your motorcycle tires is good, is when you're hype-rmiling on a long straight trip.

Please don't recommend pressures if you don't know the correct numbers. Each tire manufacturer has a different set of numbers but most are around 35-36 both front and rear (you had the front correct) for normal street riding.

Also, your tires SHOULDN'T lose much pressure. The change in temps could cause some fluctuation or leaking, but not that much...not 15psi. Check your rims for leaks.

Check your manufacturers site or local tire reps for good pressures for your tires....and CHECK YOUR PRESSURES OFTEN. A spongy front or rear can cause a lowside in less time than it takes you to blink.

Also, when going out for a spirited weekend blast on the bike, make sure you set your pressures a little lower than usual to allow for pressure increase with tire heat (my Rosso Corsa rear builds 5 to 7psi in under 10 minutes at the beginning of the day during a track day). If you're already starting high, this increase can cause over-inflated tires.

Just be careful and check before you ride.
Actually the tire pressures he recommended were spot on. Per the Service manual for my 07 600 RR there should be 36 PSI for the front and 42 PSI for the rear when the tires are cold and it is always good to use what the manufacture states unless you are stunting or using it as a race bike but for around town yes 36-42 PSI it is. When looking on the sidewall of the tire it will say the max psi and I bet all tires will be 42 or above. Now I agree with you that a loss of 17 lbs is extreme so the OP should check for leaks. And it is always good to check your tire pressure often. It is really simple to do and will keep you safe.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by R Dub
Actually the tire pressures he recommended were spot on. Per the Service manual for my 07 600 RR there should be 36 PSI for the front and 42 PSI for the rear when the tires are cold and it is always good to use what the manufacture states unless you are stunting or using it as a race bike but for around town yes 36-42 PSI it is.
42PSI in a rear tire is dangerous at any pace other than straight line on a highway. And the tire will only gain pressure when ridden.

What's the manufacturer of the tires? I'll ask a local rep for street pressures.

(FWIW, the manual for my 1125R recommends 35/36 for Corsa III, MAX)

EDIT: Also, 42PSI is the pressure used for, let's say Dunlops, calculation of maximum load rating. Read this:

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/infocenter_faq.asp?id=8

And this:

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_1...nks/index.html

Specifically this line:

Most manufacturers list pressures based on maximum load of rider, passenger and luggage, giving numbers on the high side compared to what you'd use for best performance on the track with just the rider onboard.

I'm seriously not trying to be a dick here guys, just want you to be safe. 42psi is way too high for the street riding most of us do.

Last edited by DrAwkwArD; 03-10-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:45 PM
October 2011 ROTM

42PSI in a rear tire is dangerous at any pace other than straight line on a highway. And the tire will only gain pressure when ridden.

What's the manufacturer of the tires? I'll ask a local rep for street pressures.

(FWIW, the manual for my 1125R recommends 35/36 for Corsa III, MAX)
Where are you getting this info from that 42 PSI is dangerous except in a straight line? If it was dangerous why would Honda put it in there manual? Are they trying to kill all of their riders? The tires that come on the bike are Dunlop Qualifiers. The manual also states Bridgestone BT015's. But the tire pressure would be the same for any Pilot Powers or whatever else you throw on this bike. The manual for your 1125R is going to recommend a different tire pressure because it is a completely different bike. Not all bikes will have the same tire pressure recommendations. Using the proper pressure will increase the life of the tire, increase gas mileage and keep the rider safe. DrAwkwArD I am not trying to start a fight or be a jerk. I am merely trying to figure out where you are getting this info from so we don't have contradicting statements and confuse everyone.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:48 PM

Where are you getting this info from that 42 PSI is dangerous except in a straight line? If it was dangerous why would Honda put it in there manual? Are they trying to kill all of their riders? The tires that come on the bike are Dunlop Qualifiers. The manual also states Bridgestone BT015's. But the tire pressure would be the same for any Pilot Powers or whatever else you throw on this bike. The manual for your 1125R is going to recommend a different tire pressure because it is a completely different bike. Not all bikes will have the same tire pressure recommendations. Using the proper pressure will increase the life of the tire, increase gas mileage and keep the rider safe. DrAwkwArD I am not trying to start a fight or be a jerk. I am merely trying to figure out where you are getting this info from so we don't have contradicting statements and confuse everyone.
Read my edit.

EDIT: This too:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/p...ireSafTips.htm

Specifically this:

Keep in mind that these recommendations are usually dependent upon the weight of you and your passenger, as well as any cargo.

Last edited by DrAwkwArD; 03-10-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:56 PM

Guys, the recommended pressure that you saw in the manual is MAXIMUM LOAD PRESSURES- like pillion and baggage up to the bikes capacity.
And even then, some tires are not capable of coping with that pressures, once hot!

Bear in mind that the manual was written with only 1 or 2 different OEM type of tyres and for the non-savvy it might fell good, but drop the psi a bit and you'll see the difference in grip, confort and safety.

If I'd ride it that kind of presures (blasphemy!) my bike would feel like a brick over any kind of small irregurality and would be all over the place slinding, pushing and whatnot...

Try it...

Old 03-10-2011, 04:58 PM
October 2011 ROTM

I now see that you posted some links. The first link basically says it is very important to have the correct tire pressure which I think we all can agree on. The second article basically says the for performance wise you don't need to maintain as 42 PSI which I will agree with which is why I said if you race then then 42 PSI will be lower. However just for street riding and if you use your bike as a daily commuter that 42 PSI is exactly where you want to be as it will help the tire last long, get better gas mileage (even though it might be small) and it is not dangerous as you state. Now would I put 42 PSI if I was a Moto GP racer, no, but I have always kept 42 in my F4i and in my RR and I have never had any issue with it.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:01 PM

I now see that you posted some links. The first link basically says it is very important to have the correct tire pressure which I think we all can agree on. The second article basically says the for performance wise you don't need to maintain as 42 PSI which I will agree with which is why I said if you race then then 42 PSI will be lower. However just for street riding and if you use your bike as a daily commuter that 42 PSI is exactly where you want to be as it will help the tire last long, get better gas mileage (even though it might be small) and it is not dangerous as you state. Now would I put 42 PSI if I was a Moto GP racer, no, but I have always kept 42 in my F4i and in my RR and I have never had any issue with it.
Read all the links. 42PSI is NOT recommended for every day riding or commuting when it is a single rider.

It is not safe. YOU may have not wrecked because of it, but someone might. Your riding style may be conducive to a higher pressure though (not taking turns at higher than posted speeds).

The second article isn't just talking about racing. It talks about performance...and who wouldn't want to most performance out of their tires?

I'll say it again, 42 PSI for a single rider CAN be very dangerous.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:07 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Read all the links. 42PSI is NOT recommended for every day riding or commuting when it is a single rider.

It is not safe. YOU may have not wrecked because of it, but someone might. Your riding style may be conducive to a higher pressure though (not taking turns at higher than posted speeds).

The second article isn't just talking about racing. It talks about performance...and who wouldn't want to most performance out of their tires?

I'll say it again, 42 PSI for a single rider CAN be very dangerous.
Well I guess we will agree to disagree. I will not argue with you on the internet because well that is just dumb. But I don't think that Honda, a very reputable company around the world, would recommend that we put a tire pressure that is dangerous so I am going to run 42 PSI in my rear tire as that is what Honda tells me to do for both rider and rider/passenger. And we are getting off topic so lets switch back. 25 PSI is too low and yes you should check your tires often and keep them at whatever PSI you want to run.

Last edited by R Dub; 03-10-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Check your tire pressure!!