CBR600RR as my first bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR600RR as my first bike

Hi All,

New to boards here, and new to riding actually (I have my permit now, will be taking the MSF course for my full license in a week). I'm graduating from college in the next couple of weeks and was lucky enough to secure a solid job after graduation. I've always been interested in motorcycles and figured now would be a great time to buy one as a little graduation gift to myself (now that I have discretionary income).

I've done a lot of research on and know the "right" thing to do would be to start off with a dirt bike or a 250 of any kind. But something about the 600RR just keeps grabbing and holding my attention. Would it be completely absurd or improper of me to buy myself a 600RR as my first bike? Would it be a poor choice of bikes to learn on?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Old 04-29-2012, 09:27 AM
October 2011 ROTM

I won't say that it is absurd. One of my good friends bought a 07 600RR as his very first bike and he had no riding experience at all and he has done great on it. But if you choose to go this route you will need to be extremely careful and cautious on it. 600's are not as forgiving as a 250 or a 500 so a wrong input could have much bigger consequences. You will really need to respect the power of the 600 as it can get you into trouble very quick. You know yourself better than anyone here on the forum so you need to ask yourself can you be tame on it or is having all that power underneath you going to get to your head so you'll want to open her up. Also if I may suggest do not buy a brand new bike and if possible don't buy a bike that you have to make payments on. The reason I say this is because if you do drop it even if that is in a parking lot or at 5mph because you grabbed to much front brake you will not be as pissed as if you do that on a bike you're still paying for. Also remember to leave enough money for gear. At the least I would say helmet, gloves, jacket and boots. Good luck and congrats on graduation and the new job.

Last edited by R Dub; 04-29-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:06 AM

my first bike was and still is a 600RR. these bikes have a ridiculous amount of power to the point where its scary. just respect the bike and learn as you go along. i've had mine for a year now and i've been down one, only because i was leaving my house with wet tires / road and gave it too much throttle, lesson learned.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:18 PM

no youll instantly crash and destroy your bike and hurt yourself as soon as you sit on it.

a lot of people dont recommend it but as you can see a lot of people have done the same thing you want to do, i did it myself and started on an f4i with 0 riding experience. The MSF will probably be the best thing for you. You can be careful and cautious all day long so you dont hurt yourself but sooner or later youre gonna be in a situation where you have to react quickly to avoid crashing (i.e. some idiot cutting you off) and if you dont know how to properly react or control the bike in those situations the odds are its not going to end well. So no its not completely absurd cuz most of us probably started on 600s too.

+1 to what rdub said too. Its your first bike and youre gonna love it and baby it probably (hopefully) buuuuut you might be better off getting something a little older and cheaper for a year or so, so that if(when) you drop it it wont be as devastating as if it were $7-8000 bike. But thats also up to you too. So be careful, take it slow, and have fun. Congrats on the job and the graduation, ill be walking in 2 weeks too actually, i still need to come up with a graduation present to by myself. Probably not gonna beat a 600rr though. Keep us posted!

Old 04-30-2012, 04:45 PM

My first bike was and still is an '03 RR, I purchased it in '06. I had never ridden anything before and also shared your same concern. I took the MSF course, which is well worth the money, milk the instructor's brain for tips. Not sure if they'll bring this up but one of the things that still sticks with me is to watch the front tire of cars waiting at intersections or sideroads...it is a better indicator if they are moving than simply looking the car as a whole. My biggest piece of advice is to go ahead and do it but be very cautious of the bike...take it slow and respect its power. Even after the MSF course, you will feel out of your element for a few weeks. Wait until you are comfortable on it before taking to the highway. Starting on a 600RR will save you money in the long run by skipping a 250 or a dirt bike. Just be smart about it and you'll be fine. Congrats on the job!

Old 04-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Registered Users

A 600rr is a fine bike to start on. If you're a moron can kill/hurt yourself on any bike (including the kind with pedals). Don't be an idiot and do squidly things and you'll be fine.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:51 PM

I just got my 600RR last week, it's my first bike and only experience I have is riding a little pocket bike lol. I have put 110mi on the bike already and I make it a point to stay within my comfort zone and if I see a turn coming up that I am skeptical of I take it slow and next time I can go a little faster.

The biggest thing I have gotten over as soon as I got on the bike was forget the drivers on the road on what they think of you riding.....I would rather be called riding like a wuss then wow look at that idiot thats under my car or wedged up in a tree....

Don't get me wrong I am not riding around slower then your grandma driving the buick but I stay with traffic, nothing more and nothing less.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:50 PM

^ heh you'll get over that soon enough.

But sounds like you have the right attitude. Take it slow and respect the power.

Post up some pics of the new ride. What year?

Old 05-07-2012, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by NateDieselF4i
^ heh you'll get over that soon enough.

But sounds like you have the right attitude. Take it slow and respect the power.

Post up some pics of the new ride. What year?

2006, I would post pics but the ones I have didn't turn out too well.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:09 AM
January 2012 AND 2013 Ride of the Month

you are Golden !!

Quick Reply: CBR600RR as my first bike