which cbr600 to get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009 | 08:13 AM
|
Default which cbr600 to get?

Hey guys,

Been reading up on this forum for a while now and I have finally saved enough to get my own bike so decided to make an account.

I've been looking around for used cbr's and ninjas and was just looking for different opinions as to which CBR600F4i/CBR600RR you would get?

My budget is $6000 CAD, approx $5300 USD

So that pretty much rules out the models from the last few years.

I've been really considering the '03 CBR600RR

What do you guys think?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 06-10-2009 | 10:00 AM

If you can get a deal on an RR, I say go for it. Just be sure to leave some room in your budget for gear (gloves, helmet, jacket at the very least)! A couple cheaper alternatives, and great starter bikes, are F2s, F3s, F4s, and F4is. If you look around enough you can probably find a great deal on a well-kept bike with decent miles and good condition, and while the RR's are sexy you're going to be able to do everything on the other bikes that you can on the RR as a noob. There is a lot to be said for the sleekness of the newer models though!!

Be sure to check out the sticky somewhere on these forums on what to look for and how to go about buying a new bike, very helpful stuff!

Good luck!

Old 06-10-2009 | 11:05 AM

Whats your riding experience?

Old 06-10-2009 | 12:16 PM

I would suggest anything between 03 and 06. They're pretty close to the same in those years except for the suspension (inverted forks on the 05-06) and a few other minor details.

Got an 05 for sale. PM me.

Old 06-10-2009 | 12:34 PM
|

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
Whats your riding experience?
I'm just gettting my license this summer so I'm just starting up. I've been told to start with a 250cc bike but I also heard that you get bored of those very quick and I dont know if its worth paying for the insurance (which is insanee by the way in Ontario, Canada). Which is why I've been looking at the 600cc's (ninjas, cbr600rr, f4i's) and maybe start very cautiously on those instead of a 250cc.

Old 06-10-2009 | 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by anthony_ng15
I'm just gettting my license this summer so I'm just starting up. I've been told to start with a 250cc bike but I also heard that you get bored of those very quick and I dont know if its worth paying for the insurance (which is insanee by the way in Ontario, Canada). Which is why I've been looking at the 600cc's (ninjas, cbr600rr, f4i's) and maybe start very cautiously on those instead of a 250cc.
for one the insurance will be MUCH cheaper on the 250 vs a 600. Two its your choice, but you will be a better rider learning on a smaller bike vs a bigger one. IMO no one EVER out grows a bike, they let their ego and pride rule them thus think they need a bigger bike to enjoy riding.

Old 06-10-2009 | 12:53 PM

I started on my 600RR. I had about 2 years of riding an XR100R beforehand though.

Truth is there's really no formula to your success with a motorcycle. Most people suggest taking the MSF course (I don't know what the equivalent is in Canada) so you can get a good idea of what your getting into. If you still want an RR after taking the course go for it.

Remember the only person that needs to live with your decision is you and those who care about you.

Old 06-12-2009 | 04:47 AM
Default Bike

Hi

I could say that the throttle works both ways but that really depends on your state of mind and maturity. If you have the right mental profile then the CBR600\RR would be a fine bike that you could grow with.

However remember this is not a toy, it would take a pretty amazing rider to get anywhere near the most out of this bike and that is probably applies to the track,not on the road. So that gives you an indication that it is a serious bike. But it also is a sweet handling forgiving bike with a power delivery you very much have control over.

I have been riding 28 years; I have had some pretty fast bikes, ZZR1400, ZX10r and many more. As far as I am concerned the CBR600 is a bike made for the road without being intimidating and with more power than most people will ever need (Some will not admit that).
It is with out doubt the best sports bike I have ever ridden or owned.
I could buy a Fireblade but I have done Litre bikes, for me and this personally applies to me, I could get no more out of a Fireblade other than the roll on torque(But I like changing gear anyway) and although it might give you more bragging rights in the pub, in the everyday world the running costs are higher.

So that’s why I reckon the Middleweights win all round for me. Good luck with you choice and no matter what way you go, safe riding.

Paul

Last edited by sandan1964; 06-12-2009 at 04:55 AM.
Old 06-12-2009 | 08:54 AM

i just bought a used 05 cbr600rr for $4300USD. if you look hard enough you'll find a good deal. Mine was stock except for integrated front and back signals, custom plate mount w/leds, and double bubble windscreen. And only 12,000 miles. The guy just got a cbr1000 and wanted to get rid of it. Good luck!

Old 06-12-2009 | 12:13 PM

I would suggest starting on something smaller than a 600. I started with a 1989 Suzuki GS500E. The think worked great and I learned a lot from it. After a couple of years on that I moved to my 2000 F4 and had her for a couple of years before moving up to a 2003 600RR. With the way Toronto traffic is a 600 in a beginners hands is to much. Start of with less HP and work your way up. You'll spend less getting the bike and less on insurance. Just my .02 Canadian.

Quick Reply: which cbr600 to get?