CBR 600 good first street bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR 600 good first street bike?

Hey guys, would a CBR 600 be a good first street bike for me given my riding experience? I grew up riding quads for about 12-13 years then switched to dirt bikes. I now have a lot of seat time on a KTM dirt bike doing enduro/trail riding and would say I am a pretty solid rider. It is a high performance 2 stroke so I am totally used to having a snappy power band that comes on hard and fast. I'm really wanting to get a toy for the street, and think think that since I have experience on 2 wheels already I could handle a 600 as long as I practice throttle control and take it easy until until I know what I'm doing. Does this make sense or do you have any recommendations? Thanks.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bkb5f6
since I have experience on 2 wheels already I could handle a 600 as long as I practice throttle control and take it easy until until I know what I'm doing. Does this make sense or do you have any recommendations? Thanks.
You may be able to 'handle' a 600, but you won't be doing yourself any favors as far as developing as a rider. Sport bikes are worlds apart from dirt bikes as far as suspension travel, braking power, traction, steering geometry, etc. Dirt riding is a great background, but there's a lot to learn.

You will become a proficient rider much faster if you spend a season (or two) on a used, less powerful street bike. There's a reason new pilots don't start out on an F18 Hornet, and motorcycle racers put in years on 125s and 250s before they get a MotoGP seat.

If your goal is to pose on a sexy-*** bike immediately, then go for the 600RR. If you want to develop your street and track riding skills quickly and safely, spend some time on a used Ninja or CBR 250, a GS500 or similar, or maybe a twin 650 like an SV, first. You can get ones in decent shape that have already taken their depreciation hit, so you'll be able to sell it for about what you paid.

The old, true saying is that this is your first street bike, not your last. There will still be plenty of 600s in a year or so, and by then you'll be riding circles around the people who spent that time 'respecting' an inappropriate first street bike.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:13 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Munson
You may be able to 'handle' a 600, but you won't be doing yourself any favors as far as developing as a rider. Sport bikes are worlds apart from dirt bikes as far as suspension travel, braking power, traction, steering geometry, etc. Dirt riding is a great background, but there's a lot to learn.

You will become a proficient rider much faster if you spend a season (or two) on a used, less powerful street bike. There's a reason new pilots don't start out on an F18 Hornet, and motorcycle racers put in years on 125s and 250s before they get a MotoGP seat.

If your goal is to pose on a sexy-*** bike immediately, then go for the 600RR. If you want to develop your street and track riding skills quickly and safely, spend some time on a used Ninja or CBR 250, a GS500 or similar, or maybe a twin 650 like an SV, first. You can get ones in decent shape that have already taken their depreciation hit, so you'll be able to sell it for about what you paid.

The old, true saying is that this is your first street bike, not your last. There will still be plenty of 600s in a year or so, and by then you'll be riding circles around the people who spent that time 'respecting' an inappropriate first street bike.
Name:  untitled-2.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  49.0 KB

Old 01-29-2013, 10:50 AM

IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE RIDER. I've been riding for more than 6yrs and my first and only bike is a cbr600 which I still own. I'm happy I didn't start on no little 250. Take it easy, riding a dirt bike and sport bike isn't the same thing. Respect the bike and pleeeeeease take the MSF course.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the input guys, I'm just torn here because I can say right now I would be bored and disappointed with a 250s power. My dirt bike has a hell of a lot more power so I can say that with out a doubt I wouldn't be happy. I also can say I pick things up quickly, I don't know if its because I've been riding some sort of motorized vehicle since I was 4 and a half or what but when it comes to vehicles of any type I am a fast learner. My next problem is that I am married and I can say that without a doubt I will have a battle of epic proportions on my hand if I decide I want another bike in a year. The argument will be "why didn't you get the one you liked in the first place, the bike you have now is good enough." How would getting a 600 hinder my ability to become a better rider? Just to much to learn properly on or what? Also, I don't really plan to try and race or anything, I just want a bike that I can have fun on that gets up and goes when I crack the throttle.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:45 PM

Have you priced insurance?
Know people who have died/crippled on bikes, and feel you are mature enough to handle yourself and accept the risk?

If both yes, for putting around the street. Sit on a few style bikes in riding position for extended periods before you decide.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:11 PM

go for the 600 (used of course). i made the same jump from 250 dirt bikes to a 600 streetbike like many others.

you have bike experience, so its less about the machine and more about the new environment. you can lay a bike down hitting some loose gravel in a corner whether that bike is a 250 or a 600. some idiot texting is still going to move into your lane whether you are on a vespa or a 1000rr. and since you already have a sense of throttle control, youll be riding a 600 a lot easier than revving up a 250.

the safer choice for a new rider is a 250. but dirt experience does translate over to the street. use your judgement, you know you better than we do.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:54 PM

I started out on a 88 CB1000F, yes my first bike. Now I have a 98 F3 and I gotta tell ya, stick with a 600 for a first bike. You definitely learn more about cornering, throttle control, and braking on a smaller bike for two reasons IMO:
-a 600 will be lighter than a larger bike and easier to control/brake
-their throttle is typically much more forgiving so you get to toy around without worrying (ie. the first time you open up a 1000 throttle in 1st gear will be a very bad day lol)
That 1000 was definitely an "adrenaline rush" for me. But now that I have a 600, its clear my riding skills on that 'Cane were terrible.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:11 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Yes a 600 is a great bike for a guy with your riding experience. I too started off on dirtbikes and bought a 600 F4i as my first street bike and sold that 2 years later for my current 600RR. Yes a street bike is different than a dirtbike or quad so take it easy at first and get used to get and gain confidence but you will be disappointed if you get anything under a 600cc in my opinion.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by sifiwiz
I started out on a 88 CB1000F, yes my first bike. Now I have a 98 F3 and I gotta tell ya, stick with a 600 for a first bike. You definitely learn more about cornering, throttle control, and braking on a smaller bike for two reasons IMO:
-a 600 will be lighter than a larger bike and easier to control/brake
-their throttle is typically much more forgiving so you get to toy around without worrying (ie. the first time you open up a 1000 throttle in 1st gear will be a very bad day lol)
That 1000 was definitely an "adrenaline rush" for me. But now that I have a 600, its clear my riding skills on that 'Cane were terrible.
While I agree on the throttle being much more forgiving on a 600, your statement on the weight difference is outdated. Modern litre bikes are quite light and easy to handle My stock '02 954rr weighs in at 425 lbs. with a full tank of fuel.....the same weight as a '02 600 F4i.

Quick Reply: CBR 600 good first street bike?