Buying Tires soon - what to get?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 07:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Buying Tires soon - what to get?

I have set of 2CT's on my R1. Those tires are fantastic.

Hate the Bridgestones on my CBR, love the 2CT's... can't wait to get a set for the CBR.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:33 AM

TirColour,
"2CT's" doesn't tell us which model of Michelin's you have? I'm assuming Pilot Power 2CT? Pilot Road2 uses the 2CT feature as well as the Pilot Race tires.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:52 PM

Papi, go to the website link I supplied and see the ratings and/or write-upson each type of tire, there are ratings and reviews and such. I ride only the streets, and I got the Pilot Powers, semi-aggresive style rider. I put new Pilot Powers on my F4i last year and got 5,000+ miles out of them and they still had plenty tread when I sold the bike this winter.

All Michelin Pilottires will stick, because they all use the Moto GP technology for their slow wearing, soft compound tire. The different tires they have are geared towards different riders...if it's a commuter get a harder compound tire and if your just riding to ride get the Pilot Powers. I was deciding b/t the original Pilot Powers and the Road Pilot Powers for my new bike, and went with the originals because they suited my ride style and I didn't like the extra tread on the roads and I don't ever ride in the rain, so I wanted more contact with the road surface and went with the Pilot Powers. Plus they will get shipped to your door for $239 for the pair.

Here is the Pilot Power tire ratings:
Michelin Performance Ratings
All Michelin ratings are on a scale of 1-5: 5 - Excellent, 4 - Very Good, 3 - Good, 2 - Medium, 1 - Not recommended Usage [*]Track: 2[*]Highway: 4[*]Sport: 5[*]Commuting: 3

Performance [*]Dry grip: 5[*]Wet grip: 5[*]Durability: 4[*]Handling: 5[*]Comfort: 4

As you can see, this tire is made for sport street riding, and the performance ratings are excellent.

The 2CT is made with 2 different compounds, harder in the center for acceleration and high speedand softer on the edges for great lean angles. The Michelin write up I read on this tire made it sound like it was made for 1000's. If your not an aggressive street rider, don't spend the extra $ on these.

Michelin Pilot POWER 2CT - Sport/Racing Tires 120/70/17 Front & 180/55/17 Rear Combos
Still not convinced that Pilot Power is for you? Well, now there's a dual-compound version, a direct descendant of our MotoGP technology. With a softer rubber mix on the shoulders, the new Pilot Power 2CT will satisfy even the most demanding sport riders. Want to carve corners at extreme lean angles? Do you feel like you've found the limit with your current tires? Does your new literbike have more power than your tires can use? If so, then it's time to switch to the new Pilot Power 2CT.

2-Compound Technology divides the tread into different sections, each occupied by a different rubber compound intended to perform a specific function.

On Michelin Pilot Power 2CT tires, the center of the tread is capable of withstanding high speeds, sudden acceleration and braking, and other demanding riding conditions. The outer edges of the tread come into use at maximum lean angles. Their rubber compound is 20% softer than the center tread, to provide optimal grip at lower speeds and thus delivering outstanding traction when cornering.

And the road...if I lived in Seattle or rode often in the rain, I would buy these. But where I live, and for my ride style, I decided against them. You can see the extra tread lines.

All Michelin Pilots are great tires...so whatever you choose will be good, just choose wisely to try to get the most milage out of your tires depending on your riding style.

[color=#0000ff]

Michelin Pilot Road Street Tires 120/70/17 front & 180/55/17 rear combo

[URL=http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/ca

Old 04-01-2008, 01:09 PM

jfunk,
GREAT write up!!! That'll help clarify some points.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:21 PM

i had 6,500 miles on my dunlop Q before i replaced them, but when i did it was with the 2ct's and they kick the crap out of the performance of the dunlops. these tires stick were the qual's slid

Old 04-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Banned

Great write up jfunk!!!!

Old 04-01-2008, 02:20 PM

ORIGINAL: WoodyRR

jfunk,
Well, you said you disagree with me on my tires point-of-view so I had to back it up. I never jump w/o looking, and I researched these tires vastly. I think I made a typo by saying that the 2CT's were more for track days, what I meant was for more aggresive style riders.

So I backed up my points.

The Pilot Powers are so sticky, that you can not slide your finger across the surface of the tire. If your getting new tires, get Pilot Powers, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!

Old 04-01-2008, 05:22 PM

2600 miles... new tires? did the dealer give you used tires or something because I have at least 75% tread left on my tires and its only been 2500 miles. If you are doing burnouts, you should just get crappy tires

Old 04-01-2008, 06:29 PM

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/tires...res/index.html

a quick little article about tires for you to consider when you see those race/track tires vs street

Old 04-01-2008, 07:20 PM

ORIGINAL: jfunkRR

ORIGINAL: WoodyRR

jfunk,
Well, you said you disagree with me on my tires point-of-view so I had to back it up. I never jump w/o looking, and I researched these tires vastly. I think I made a typo by saying that the 2CT's were more for track days, what I meant was for more aggresive style riders.

So I backed up my points.

The Pilot Powers are so sticky, that you can not slide your finger across the surface of the tire. If your getting new tires, get Pilot Powers, YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!
Right on!! I agree with you completely. I still believe the Pilot Powers are overkill for the street unles you're HAAAARD on the throttle and the bike.Either way, they wouldn't dissapoint! Good luck Papi.

Quick Reply: Buying Tires soon - what to get?