Buying Tires soon - what to get?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Buying Tires soon - what to get?

I have 3,200mi on my original '07 tires. You must ride more aggressive than me. Because mine still look new.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:16 PM

ORIGINAL: skical

I have 3,200mi on my original '07 tires. You must ride more aggressive than me. Because mine still look new.
^^^ I'm with you skical.....I have roughly 5k on my '07 tires and they have been through hell. Drag Strip, Twisties everyday, and an accident. Front Tire still looks new and the Back Tire looks to be 2/3 done.

Must ride VERY aggressive or had some nice smokey burnouts...lol Also might want to look into your suspension settings, wrong settings will wear your tires faster.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:36 PM

What are the difference in price on these tires you guys talking bout?

Old 03-31-2008, 10:47 PM
Banned

2,600 miles is not very good for mileage.

Take a pic of the tire at the center with a dime in the tread. This will give us an idea of how much tread you have left. I am guessing you probably have done a few burnouts like the others have said.

I can get between 4,000-4,500 miles on my pilots in the rear. And anywhere between 6-7k miles on the front, this is a depending on how I get after it though.

The opinion of what tire to go with is just like the "oil" debate. Everyone has their preferences.

I have ran the following tires and I am listing them in the order at which I like.

1. Pilot Powers
2. Bridgestone Battleaxe 014
3. MetzlerM-3's (i think that was the number)

All are a very good tire IMO.
I prefer the pilot powers because they seem to have the best traction in the wet stuff. It might rain from time to time here in Seattle so I worry about wet traction.

I want to trythe Dunlop Qualifiers and the Diablo Corsa III's.

I hope this helps you make a choice and does not confuse you anymore.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:59 PM
Banned

I went with the Pilot Powers and kinda have to stick with em now cause I put michelin man decals on my front fender...not really a problem though cause I love the way these things feel and respond.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:00 PM

Go with the Pilot Power Race Mediums... Those are what I have... Very good ride-ability, they warm up fast, and stick all day long
They are however pretty agressive... much more for lean and are not as stable upright, but thats just a preference and a riding stye.

Stay AWAY from dunlop, they are great if its 85 degrees out or hotter, but they dont like to grip if they are not super hot.

You can find the Michelins at www.motorcycletoystore.com for like 269 for the pair, which is a good price, and you will have em in like three days.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:05 PM

when i got my new tyres a few weeks ago, i went with some battle axes b(bt021). mostly because getting only 3200 miles from a set of tyres really pissed me off. i use my bike as a daily and a toy...so i needed something taht would last a little longer (since a few hundred per tire isn't exactly cheap). they'er wonderful tyres...the tech at the shop reccomended them because they are hard enough in the center to allow good mileage, but the sides are fairly sticky. sticky enough to have some fun in the canyons. also serves as a nice remidner that you should keep the crazy knee dragging to the tracks (and get dedicated track rubber).

Old 03-31-2008, 11:05 PM

ORIGINAL: jfunkRR

For straight road use, the straight Pilot Powers are the way to go. The 2CT's are more for track days and such...and the Road Pilots are for touring type bikes...nothing is better than the Michelin Pilot Powers.

I got mine here:
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=678
I'd have to disagree with you completely on this. Although, I believe most people are putting on the wrong tires on their bikes.

PC, I put on the Pilot Roads on my '05 600RR when my OEM Pilot Sports wore out. This was at about 6,500 miles. I ONLY do road riding. After ALL my research, which was about two weeks' worth, this was the best tire for me. I was never planning on taking my bike to the track, so these worked out great. I had about 8,00 miles on them when I totaled the bike and they were about halfway worn. No chicken strips on the rear tire and never had a traction control issue that wasn't expected. It was a FANTASTIC tire for my semi-aggressive road riding style. What I mean by semi-aggressive is leaning almost to a knee down on turns and riding the throttle fairly hard. I hit 165 mph on the Pilot Roads and was completely confident. I'm sure there's more aggressive riders out there, but they wouldn'tbe much more aggressive than how I rode with my '05. (That kind of riding and my lack of experience is what I believe led to my crash.)

ANY and ALL research I found from the manufacturers on their tires will show most of the tires that almost everybody purchases are actually built for the track as opposed to the road. So, if you're doing 100% road use, go with the Pilot Roads or Road 2's. The 2CT technologyfrom Michelin has nothing to do with weather you're on the track or not. The Pilot Road is not a tire AT ALL that you'd want to use on the track. It is however a high-mileage, superb wet-weather tire that provides GREAT grip for road riding and is designed to last a long time. It has a HARDER tread compound when compared to ANY other tire ANYBODY has listed here.

You would want a real SOFT compound if you're racing or road driving extremely aggressive.
SOFT rubber = better grip. HOWEVER, it also means less mileage due to the soft compound being chewed up by the road more easily.
HARD rubber = not as good grip as soft. HOWEVER, it also means more mileage since the harder compound holds up better against the asphalt.

Buy the right tire for your type of riding. I was about to buy the Pilot Power 2CT's, but couldn't find ANY reason why I'd buy those tires. EVERYBODY said that's the greatest tire. I'm sure it's great, but do you realize how much wasted money I'd have spent on buying a race-track tire when I never go to the track? And how much FASTER I'd have to replace that super-soft tread compound tire?

Everybody should be asking him/herself this same question.

Good luck.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:21 AM

thanks for all the replies. like i said, i know nothing about tires at all (or working on bikes for that matter), so i turn to you guys for advice.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:38 AM

Quick Reply: Buying Tires soon - what to get?