Buying crashed bike. What should I look for??

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007 | 02:48 PM
Default Buying crashed bike. What should I look for??

Alright guys its that time of year to buy a bike again. I'm getting mine from our local salvage auction, because all the bikes get crashed in the summer time, then it takes 2 months to clear insurance and they all show up at the beginning of winter when nobody wants to buy them so they are cheappp. There is a 2006 CBR600RR in silver that has been dropped. it has scrapings on the windscreen and the right fairing, its missing the passenger seat and that fairing is broken. Also this piece has snapped http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-06...spagenameZWDVW and both mirrors are gone.

Now I can get you some pictures, but I really want to know what I should be looking before I put a bid on this bike, because truthfully, I know nothing about bikes haha. But I want to learn! Which is what should be important haha. Like how would I be able to see if theres any fork or frame damage or anything? Any main spots I should look out for??

Any advice would be great though. Also what do you think its worth? It has an active title.

Old 10-08-2007 | 08:55 PM
Default RE: Buying crashed bike. What should I look for??

if you can test ride it will it go strait, look to see if the front end is out of alignment. (when the bars are perfectly strait is the tire strait) does the subframe look crooked or bent, especialy where the fender is broken. from the pics it doesnt look to beat up, I mean the blinkers are still on it. I dont know a whole lot but it seems like a good deal, will they let you have a mechanic look it over, or if you can bring a friend who knows more about bikes.

Old 10-09-2007 | 01:02 AM

see if you can take off all fairings and check the frame for cracks.

Old 10-09-2007 | 10:48 AM

You might reconsider buying a wrecked bike as your first, especially since you admitted you know nothing about it. I made a big mistake once and bought a wrecked bike that looked a hell of a lot worse than this one, although I knew quite a bit at the time. I ended up putting it back together and it rode great, but I paid way more for it than I should have. Just don't let anyone tell you its straight unless they have documentation to back it up. The reality is that there's no way to tell definitely if a bike is straight unless you have it professionally measure.

Otherwise, looks for scratches on hard parts to get a sense of how it went down and at what velocity. Try to measure the front end to confirm if the forks are straight. Check the steering stops on the lower triple to make sure they are still intact (if not indicates possible bendage in the front). Check rims to make sure they aren't scratched and still hold air. Look for scrapes on the swingarm, case covers, etc. Check suspension travel to make sure nothing binds up, all indicating possible bends. Check to make sure the brakes work, and the both front and have a normal consistent pressure on the lever when braking, otherwise rotors could be bent.

All I can think of the top of my head. Good luck.

Old 10-09-2007 | 04:21 PM

alright well im going over to the auctions now to place a bid (its a silent auction). we cant start any of the items, so driving it isnt a possibility. im going to put down a bid of $1400. hopefully i will win and be a new part of the cbr community. i will have all winterto fix it up so time isnt a bigconcern.i will check to see if theres any cracking, but as said its not too bad. the only big piece is broken is that one i set up a link for from ebay. i cant take off any fairings or anything but i will do a fairly good inspection from the best of my knowledge to look around at everything. another concern is its easy to tell it went upside down since the windsheild is broken, could the engine have seized or anything because of this??

Old 10-09-2007 | 08:39 PM

ok so i went to check it out and the subframe must be bent, because the rear tire is extremely sideways compaired to the exhaust. i looked on ebay and subframes are $200. i also found out that the bike is active, which means it wouldnt have a rebuilt title on it, which makes it worth a lot more. how much work is it to change a subframe. what else could happen when the subframe gets bent, could it damage anythign else that i should look at? i think i may bid $1800 on it.

i cant check if it runs, and i cant check the speedo, because you cant run the items in the auction. i can tell the bike flipped cause it scraped the windshield, what could happen to the engine if it went upsidedown while it was running???

here are some pictures i took while i was there

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/phot...58533_1960.jpg
http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/phot...58531_1460.jpg

Old 10-10-2007 | 01:55 AM
Retired Moderator

I don't know about a crashed bike for a daily driver, but it would make an EXCELLENT track-only/race bike. That's what I'm keeping my eye's peeled for. A wrecked 07 to make into a trackster.

Old 10-10-2007 | 10:16 AM

im just looking for a DD though. still wondering if anybody has any answers to my questions... bidding ends today!

Old 10-10-2007 | 11:17 AM

one way to see if there is fork damage is to take the front wheel off and spin the bottom of the fork and see if it waves or has a vibration in the spin. also take the fairings off and run the bike and look for leaks of ne kind and check the frame.

from my exp. with salv. bikes u always wanna bid low cuz ur prolly gonna have to put money into it. and then if u don't consider urself lucky and saving money.

my bid would be no more than 4k or maybe 4.5k but thats just cuz i'm cheap and not rich

Old 10-10-2007 | 02:20 PM

as i said earlier i cant touch the bike with tools, so i cant take anything off. im thinking of bidding $2100 because its active so i could even make money off it if i dont want it. 4-4.5 is WAY to much haha

still wondering about the previous questions!

Quick Reply: Buying crashed bike. What should I look for??