BURNED OUT MY cbr's ECU CPU??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BURNED OUT MY cbr's ECU CPU??

ok i have this beautiful 2003 Honda CBR 600rr i just bought this winter and havent even rode more than 2 times. long story short (this is a noob to the max error by the way) the battery in the bike went dead. it was old and to be expected. me and my friend who did not know at the time hooked it up to my Subaru Impreza while the car was running and jumped the bike to a successful start. i drove the bike up the block and parked it thinking it was ok after that. next time i went to start it the thing would not start for the life of me. ive tried everything. the bike turns on fine i hear all these noises indicating the bike is getting ready to start it will kick (starter works) but the motor will not start. all lights and everything else works. i check all fuses and nothing is burned.
i was told i might have burned out the ECU or CPU system in it. if this is the case how will i know? and where can i get a new one?
PLEASE HELP!
this is highly a stupid problem i created for myself and i already have a feeling i burned out the ECU or whatever from the high amps from the car jump. i was told replacing the solenoid valve would be one of the things i might have to do...? any advice?
i included a pic here in this post of my bike

sincerely,

jacob 'noob mistake' ray

[IMG]local://upfiles/23894/0CCF8BD007D046DE9240293BE92DDF30.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Default RE: BURNED OUT MY cbr's ECU CPU??

check your 10A ignition fuse under your seat in the white holder.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:44 PM

thanks a lot man!
i will check that and let you know if its good.
if it is good, ill move onto the next possible problem(s) :/

Old 02-11-2008, 08:46 PM

sure. we need to know what is happeneing, and what works and what doesn't work.

jumping from a running car isn't as big a deal as many people make it out to be. I'm sure you didn't cause any serious damage.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:24 PM

i checked the fuse. its actually a red box under the seat (2003 cbr 600rr) and its a 30A fuse. its fine.
on the side of the bike is the 10A ignition and its fine too.
i called my uncle whos got a few bikes himself and hes been a machanic for over 10 years..he thinks i might have sent a surge through my ECU or CPU system, one part specific, my solenoid valve. i think i actually did burn somehting out but im not sure how to fix it or where to begin besides tryign to diagnose the problem which has been easy so far just checking fuses. i guess next is running a check on the computer parts??

Old 02-11-2008, 09:28 PM

Find someone local with a running version of your bike. Take off parts of theirs and put them on yours. If it runs with said ecu or whatever may have failed, you find your problem.

Before that, however, I recommend double checking ALL fuses.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:41 PM

ORIGINAL: jacobray69

i checked the fuse. its actually a red box under the seat (2003 cbr 600rr) and its a 30A fuse. its fine.
No, actually that would be the MAIN FUSE. if this was blown, nothing would work. not even the clock on the dash.

on the side of the bike is the 10A ignition and its fine too.
This would be the ignition fuse... good to hear it's fine.

i called my uncle whos got a few bikes himself and hes been a machanic for over 10 years..he thinks i might have sent a surge through my ECU or CPU system, one part specific, my solenoid valve.
This "Solenoid Valve" is also called the Starter Relay, and it's got nothing to do with the ECU at all. if your starter is turning, your "Solenoid Valve" (aka Starter Relay) is working perfectly.

i think i actually did burn somehting out but im not sure how to fix it or where to begin besides tryign to diagnose the problem which has been easy so far just checking fuses. i guess next is running a check on the computer parts??
No. not yet. your dash wouldn't work at all if you burned out your ECU. let's start by telling me EXACTLY What happened between when you shut it off after it was working to right now.

As i understand it, you are getting power from your battery at "IGNITION ON", the fuel pump primes, the meter cycles, and the starter is turning the crankshaft when you press the start button. what you are lacking is the big BOOM that happens soon there after. It's not sputtering at all, correct?

Old 02-11-2008, 09:46 PM

well i checked all fuses that i know of.
i even have a honda repair manual that costs over 75 bux that has every detail you can imagine in it.
only it doesnt say anything about what might happen when jump starting your bike from a vehicle.
is there any forums specificly on this subject?
googling this topic has been a headache [&o]

Old 02-11-2008, 09:52 PM

i understand you would like a solution NOW, but troubleshooting doesn't work when rushed.

besides, ANYTHING can get damaged durring a surge. it all depends on how much energy got transfered, for how long, and down what path. since we don't know, we must troubleshoot the problem. if there is a malfunction, we will find it during troubleshooting.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:54 PM

ok heres the exact thing i did.
i jumped it. it started. i drove it for a sec and then parked it. it sat for a few weeks without being started. i then went to start it but the battery died once again. i went and bought a trickle charger which completely restored the battery and gave me a longer attempt at turning over the engine. i did this several times every few days. EVERYTHI(NG you said was working. the ignition switch was working with the electrical systems as far as i know and i followed what you said and it lines up exactly to the sounds when i turn the switch. its the bang of the motor starting that just doesnt happen. and this all occued only after using my car to start it. before that it started with the battery it had in it. the bike is in top shape. i mean it is nearly spotless and when i bought it the guy i got it from was 100% into the thing like he barely wanted to part with it. he assured me this bike was taken care of to the T. i trust him cus he stayed in contact and everything and even gave me a million custom parts for it. the bike has a power commander 3 in it and a speedometer in it fpr mph calibration.
if the ECU system isnt burned out maybe the power commander is? i dont know. so far you guys have told me more than i knew.

Quick Reply: BURNED OUT MY cbr's ECU CPU??