Black stock exhaust? (photoshop preview)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 04:49 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Black stock exhaust? (photoshop preview)

So here's the idea. (not that I'm the first......nor did any searches "find" anything), so here it goes:

When I rebuilt my engine in my car, I painted the block and exhaust manifold with black engine block enamel. Yes, during the first 5 minutes, it smokes and smells horrible. But afterwards, it's perfect. And I know my cars' cast iron block gets MUCH hotter than my RR's exhaust can.

So my theory........... If I sanded down the stock exhaust can, and sprayed it black (either matte or glossy) with engine enamel, it should work.....in theory.

Any thoughts on this?

And Yes, eventually I'll get me a Black Carbon Akarapovic slip-on (MONTHS away from that though), but until then, I don't want my stock exhaust can (when I do the FE mod and Rizoma signals in a few weeks) to look like an uncircumcised ***** sticking out the back.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Update Feb. 3 2007:

Here's a crude photoshop of what it may kind of look like. I think the black exhaust looks sleeker (on my bike anyway) that the shiny silver would be. Comments?

Name:  blackexhaust.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  95.0 KB

Old 02-02-2007, 05:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Black stock exhaust?

Yes, why wouldnt it?

Old 02-02-2007, 07:26 AM

I wish ya the best of luck with that project...after the FE Kit i think your next step would be to get rid of those HUGE front turn signals..i got a pair of Hotbodies still in the package for an 03 600 RR if ya want em...i went with the LP short stalks...IMHO i think the can unpainted blends better with your bike and by painting it black would make it look worse ...either way

Old 02-02-2007, 08:17 AM

Don't see why it wouldn't work. Check the paint you're gonna use can handle the high temps first, but like you said if it works for your car's engine block...

However, if you plan on getting a slip-on anyways then why bother? You'll get higher resale value for your can/bike (if you choose to sell later on) by keeping it stock. Just bite the bullet for a few months and save yourself the work.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:19 AM

Only issue I could see is cracking of the paint. The thin metal of the Can may expand and contract more than an engine block or header pipes ever would. Perhaps you should ask someone if you would paint it when the can is cold/warm or hot. Perhaps start with a part of the Can that isn't as visible and see if the heat cycle affects the finish ?

Chris

Old 02-02-2007, 12:51 PM

I did it to a extra can I had laying around and it worked fine. Just make sure you read the temp it can withstand first. Grill enamel works great, but it is texture, and kind or dull, but you may be able to go over that with a glossier engine paint. You wont be able to paint the can hot and normal running temp because the paint wont adhere right. Usually is says do it while its cool so it can bond. Just go up to Advanced and check out the Engine Enamel paint and read the temp capabilities. There is some paint up there specifically for oil pans and what not that are going to be more representative of the exhaust can than an engine block, but anything should work. I'll see if I can find some pictures of the one I did. I looked fine to me, I just sold it because I never used it. And id you dont like it, Thinner should take it right off. Good Luck

Old 02-02-2007, 01:08 PM

someone just did it to a car axleback and it worked just fine...all you see is a tip sticking out under the bumper...looks like magic, like it's just floating there!

Old 02-02-2007, 04:36 PM

Never paint while it's hot or even warm, always when everything is cooled.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:09 AM
Retired Moderator

AH!!!! JUST got a freaking genius idea!!!!!!!

I'll take all the crap off the tail tomorrow (fender, lights, everything.). And I'll cover the can with the extra black vinyl I have......just to see what it would look like. Then I'll take some pics and comare it to the pics I'll take with it normal! I'm a flipping genius!!!!!

Old 02-03-2007, 09:56 AM

i dont think it would come out that dark of black.or that dam reflective.

genius huh??? lol if u say so.

Quick Reply: Black stock exhaust? (photoshop preview)