Bent SwingArm - Major Progress Made!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent SwingArm - Major Progress Made!!

So in my desire to black out my swing arm...I sent it for powder coating and removed all the bearings and even did the dog bone and lower shock arm (which came out real nice, btw). So we were pressing the bearings back into the pieces using a 17 ton hydraulic press (it's the only one I have access to) and on the LAST one...the right side swing arm pivot sleeve, somehow the bearing bit into the side of the sleeve and it started to wave and eventually caused another lip to form, which stopped the bearing dead in it's tracks. I few more pumps on the press and the WHOLE arm bent...at least a 1/2" inward. I'll post a pic next week when I can. I tried to bend it back using an hydraulic separator that an auto-body buddy of mine has and it wouldn't budge. None of my boys have ever heard of such a thing, and the guy at the local dealer was amazed, no one ever heard of such a thing. These types of things always seem to happen to me...ever since 9/11 in 2001, which was my 24th b-day...my luck has been garbage.

I have another one on order from this kid in San Diego, so it'll be alright in the end...but it'sa $200 lesson to learn and sucks really bad, not to mention pushes my time table back at least another month because I have to powdercoat this new swing arm now also.

This time I'll pound the bearings back in by hand. Lesson learned. The whole job wasn't that bad altogether, just this little hiccup at the end. Pulling the bearings for powdercoating wasn't that bad at all.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Default RE: Bent my SwingArm?!?!

[align=left]Damn dude that sux, I never heard of anything like that ever happening either. Ya Id suggest the good old hammer and stuff for pushing the bearings back in. We used a hammer and a large socket about as big around as the bearing its self to press on the outside. Then just hammered away on the socket and about 1/2 hour or so of bangin we were good to go. Cant say I havent had similiar expensive complications while workin on mine, best of luck with the new swingarm and future projects.[/align]

Old 03-07-2008, 11:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Stockrocket

[align=left]We used a hammer and a large socket about as big around as the bearing its self to press on the outside. Then just hammered away on the socket [/align][align=left][/align][align=left]
[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]This was how we got them out...but the smaller ones went back in so easy with the press and the left swing arm bearing was no problem then this crap happened on the LAST one...figures...we even greased the outside of the bearing AND the sleeve like the manual said and it stillbit into the sleeve wall somehow...[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]This is how you learn. Anybody on this site doing a swing arm, PM me and I'll tell you how to do it w/o having the problems I did. All in all, it wasn't that bad...considering...[/align]

Old 03-07-2008, 11:12 AM

Guess your right, thats how we learn. I know if I ever need to put a PCed shift rode back onto the lil transmission *** wit the small teeth(no clue what its really called) I wont try and lightly bang it back on with a rubber hammer....bent a shift rod inside the engine somewhere. Had a lovely clicking sound until I trailored the bike up to the shop to get it fixxed.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:47 PM

I'll have to keep that in mind because I pc-ed my shift rod and I'll be putting it back on soon.

Any other advice/headaches I should know about? lol

Old 03-07-2008, 01:34 PM

Damn sorry about the bad luck man. Sounds about the same as mine just got the bike about two weeks ago and have a few things on order so Ill have to see how well mine holds up when installing everything[&:].

Old 03-12-2008, 09:38 AM

So here it was before powder coating...

Name:  100_2575.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  60.8 KB

Got it back looking pretty good...

Name:  100_2577.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  54.1 KB

and then disaster!! Can you tell it's bent?

Name:  100_2579.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  62.5 KB

Still waiting for the new one to come in from San Diego. Then I'll try again.

Anybody powdercoating their swing arm, PM me and I'll let you know how to NOT make the same mistakes I did.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:36 PM
Banned

oh **** dude, that's nuts. DAMN j!

Old 03-12-2008, 07:38 PM

dude from NY has not called back yet, neither did sleepers but I know they will tomorrow

Old 04-07-2008, 11:55 PM

Finally made some progress tonight!! After waiting about 6 weeks to collect everything I need, she is starting to take shape!!

Name:  100_2586.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  93.4 KB

Name:  100_2589.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  128.8 KB

Engine covers are done too!!

Name:  100_2590.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  111.0 KB

Name:  100_2587.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  106.0 KB

Quick Reply: Bent SwingArm - Major Progress Made!!