Battery: Should I be concerned?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery: Should I be concerned?

Guys, so I went to go show my bike off and I looked a bit stupid lol.

I put the key in, to turn the ignition on...I left in on for about 3-5 minutes without turning the actualy bike on. And when I went to start the bike, it didnt; the battery needed a charge.

My question is: How long can a bike remain ignited (with all lights on, and in neutral) without starting the actual bike? Should I be concerned about the bikes battery dying so quickly?

It sure seemed VERY quick to discharge, i'm concerned of this happening to me in a very sticky situation.

Thanks in advanced.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:36 PM

That seems a little quick, but then again 5-10 minutes is sometimes all it takes. On my street bike, I never leave the bike on with headlight on. Especially with high beam. Charge it up and remember to never turn the bike on without starting it, and also I always kill it with the key so I don't leave it on that way either.

They're small batteries. A new one would probably last longer (they do get weaker with age), but in my experience they won't last like a car battery does.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:08 PM

OK, I don't that seemed strange it sure felt like it didnt last long to die..out on me like that. So, when i do charge the battery up with a boost from a car....is that safe? how long can i leave the jumper cables connected from the car to the bike?

Old 05-29-2010, 01:46 PM

Alot of my friends seem to use the kill switch to turn there bikes off and have there ignition on for 5 to 10 minutes before they realize it but there bikes start right up. I allways turn my bike off on the ignition. Sounds like its a good idea to invest in a battery. Johnnyh

Old 05-29-2010, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by el_matatan
OK, I don't that seemed strange it sure felt like it didnt last long to die..out on me like that. So, when i do charge the battery up with a boost from a car....is that safe? how long can i leave the jumper cables connected from the car to the bike?
I tested my 954, it lasted about 20 minutes before starter failed. So, think about a new battery soon, until then, just remember to kill power.

As long as the car is not running you're fine.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:07 AM

@randy: oops too late i gave it a boost with the car running lol.....IRONICALLY ENOUGH....withing the hour of giving the bike a boost the damn car needed one lol i couldnt help but think that it could of been cause of the boost i gave the bike...