Battery Problems... i think

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Problems... i think

hi guys,
my bike starts first time and runs great ride for 10 mins to bank and go to start it but hardly any power / electrics, not even enuf to start it
any idea what this problem is?

thanks muchly

Old 01-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Default RE: Battery Problems... i think

First off welcome to the board, secondly may want to check spelling before you postas for your problem? what year is your RR, how old is the battery? have you taken load readings w a volt meter? if not id do that first, may just need a new battery? good luck

Old 01-09-2009, 06:45 PM

not trying to be negative, but myself and probably 3 others on this forum is having the same problem w/ no results, im on a 05 600RR and to be specific about another forum member, agent orange is having the same problem, he rides an f4i

Old 01-09-2009, 07:22 PM

^add me to that list.

I think i have narrowed it down to the starter for me (not 100% sure though) the charging system seems to be working fine (I have checked it when the bike hot and cold with a volt meter), my battery is getting drained from trying to start it and failing, but is still ok for the most part, and if it was the battery it wouldn't start up fine when the bike is cold like it does.

I think the brushes in the starter motor are gunked up or something and when it gets hot it doesn't work right,

right now my bike is sitting in my garage half taken apart to get the starter out to rebuild it. I will let you know if i have any success.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:23 PM

oh and to add to the weird symptoms that point to the starter, even with a fully charged jump box the bike wouldn't start when it was hot.

and i got it to start by push starting it so the engine it self has no problem firing up.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:22 AM

shes a 600rr 2005, same battery from hondas production line
iv cleaned connections,
checked all fuses,
come to a colnlusion it may be the 'datatool system 3 alarm' + cold weather
soooo im gona keep the alarm off, charge the battery and see if the cold weather and alarm is draining it,
next step... new battery hehe

ill let you know how i get on then pass advice to you guys

Old 01-10-2009, 08:02 PM

dude, test your battery cause with what you were saying in the op, i really dont think its your batter and it would suck to buy a new one, and yea, thats what I did and didn't help the problem

Old 01-11-2009, 02:34 PM

if i link jump leads to the battery the powers extreme so batterys isok,
took starter out and it was rammy, when i took it apart it was riffy inside to so i gave it a good clean
charged the battery and tested it every thins great...

conclusion - check that starter guys

Gville Georgeur a star thanks for the advice
titleAndStar(578,0,0,false,",")

Old 01-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a bit of useful information about my battery problem with I first bought my 07 600RR......

I had it fully charged at the dealer. Popped it in, took it for a 70 mile ride home. When I got home, I turned it off, went to turn it back on........it would just click or barely start (battery was flat). So, took it back to the dealer, the tested the battery, it came back as "good". They recharged it.......but the same crap happened again. Took it to the local dealer, they tested it.......again it showed up as "good". They told me there was a short somewhere in the bike with all the aftermarket "crap" I put on it and wouldn't cover it under warranty.

So, I took all the "crap" off the bike and reverted it back to stock. Ran it this way for 1 week and continued to have the same problems. Finally, I swapped my battery with my buddies bike (also an 07 600RR). NO PROBLEMS. So, I went back to the dealer and explained everything again. They did YET ANOTHER test on my battery and it came back "good" again. They charged it fully and I put it back in my bike.

I hit the kill switch (on the 07's, it turns the motor, but it won't let it start) and cranked it on my battery for 15 seconds. You can hear the battery completely loose charge during the 15 seconds. I then put my friends battery in and did the same thing. It never lost power.

So FINALLY they admitted it was the battery and replaced it with a new OEM one.

Problem resolved.

Moral of the story.........find another battery from a friends bike and see if it does the same thing. If it does, I could be a problem with your charging system or a bad ground somewhere. If it doesn't........then you know it's your battery.

But first, I would have it checked and charged at a dealer, just in case. But if it comes back "good", that doesn't mean s**t.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Ian Evans

if i link jump leads to the battery the powers extreme so batterys isok,
took starter out and it was rammy, when i took it apart it was riffy inside to so i gave it a good clean
charged the battery and tested it every thins great...

conclusion - check that starter guys

Gville Georgeur a star thanks for the advice
titleAndStar(578,0,0,false,",")

glad to hear it worked for you,

I have mine out right now but haven't cleaned it up fully yet, i think I might need to stick some new brushes in my in mine but i am not sure so i am going to take it to my mechanic to see what he thinks before i put it back in.

Quick Reply: Battery Problems... i think