Battery Charging/Storage??

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Charging/Storage??

I took my battery out about two months ago to store the bike. The battery is sitting inside now, was outside but I was told to bring it in since it does get pretty cold in IA. My question is about charging/storage of the battery. I have heard to different opinions. One guy told me that I don't need a battery tender on the battery. He said that once the battery is charged full it will stay there. I have had people tell me though that I need to put it on a tender or atleast a charger once a month or so. I am just wondering what the correct answer is here. I plan to keep the battery out of the bike for another month or two, unless it gets warmer out which won't happen. So what should I do????

Old 01-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: Battery Charging/Storage??

The battery will loose some charge over time. Depending on how old or new it is, you still might have enough voltage/amperage when you put it back in to start the bike. I've always heard it's really bad to drain a battery completely. So you might want to put a charger on it every couple of weeks.

Old 01-10-2006, 03:46 PM

i found this online looking for information just like you are, it's a little technical but it pretty much says that cold is good for the battery as long as i don't freeze, just leave it in the bike take loose the negative cable and put it on a battery tender and it will be as fresh as the day you put it up.

http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden//carfaq13.htm#store

Old 01-10-2006, 03:48 PM

ORIGINAL: pupdog_88

i found this online looking for information just like you are, it's a little technical but it pretty much says that cold is good for the battery as long as i don't freeze, just leave it in the bike take loose the negative cable and put it on a battery tender and it will be as fresh as the day you put it up.

http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden//carfaq13.htm#store

Good info. I guess I need to get a tender then.

Old 01-10-2006, 03:58 PM

i got a battery tender junior for free when i bought a new battery, but they aren't giving that deal any longer, but if you get one just get the junior unless you are going to need something to jump start a battery, the junior will not jump off a battery but it is perfect for storage charging and its about 40-70 bucks cheaper than a full size tender (junior for about $29-$35, full size for about $70-$120) thats what i have found hope this helps.

Old 01-10-2006, 05:25 PM

The battery tender was one of my first purchases after buying my bike. Def a good investment. Just leave your bat ion this for the winter and you should be fine

Old 01-10-2006, 09:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Truckie973

The battery tender was one of my first purchases after buying my bike. Def a good investment. Just leave your bat ion this for the winter and you should be fine

Do I leave the tender on the battery all the time?? It is going to be in storage two more months or so, depends on weather here.

Old 01-10-2006, 11:43 PM

yes. its on at all times it will regulate itself thats whats good about it. It will charge your battery and then keep it at the level it has to be for the time you have it laid up.

Old 01-10-2006, 11:50 PM

i just leave my batery in, hooked up, and everything and roll my bike to the garage door crank it, let it warm up to normal operating temprature and turn it off then wheel it back in the garage. keeps internal parts lubed and jucies flowing. i do it about once a week. not sure whats better though.

Old 01-11-2006, 12:10 AM

ORIGINAL: jwp6114

i just leave my batery in, hooked up, and everything and roll my bike to the garage door crank it, let it warm up to normal operating temprature and turn it off then wheel it back in the garage. keeps internal parts lubed and jucies flowing. i do it about once a week. not sure whats better though.

I was told that it is really bad to just start the bike up, let it sit, and then turn it off.

ORIGINAL: Truckie973

What charger do you have???

Quick Reply: Battery Charging/Storage??