Backwards shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backwards shifting?

I don't know if this is one of those questions that gets asked all the time, but I've been told often about the whole backwards-shifting thing (like, 1 up 6 down I suppose) and I was wondering if y'all are all about changing it or if you think the regular way is better. Pros? Cons?

I think it's obvious that I really don't know anything about this. Maybe you guys could clarify for me? I'd appreciate it!!

Old 08-09-2006, 01:37 AM
Default RE: Backwards shifting?

I'll be nice for this one...its a MotoGP style shifter developed due to the extreme lean angles and high speed turns...there are turns where a rider has to up shift while fully leaned, so hooking your foot under the shift lever to up shift is flat out dangerous...with this reverse pattern you can leave your foot on top of the lever and tap down to up shift without the risk of ripping your foot off...

For the street all it will do is confuse you for a bit and be of no benefit because one should not be hitting lean angles as steep as GP racers do...

Old 08-09-2006, 06:51 AM

+1, so if your buying it for the street it gives you now real benefit except maybe in the ol' noggin.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:53 AM

Also I've heard that drag racers use them to save a millisecond of time between shifts.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:33 PM

Drag racers will use an ECU control system for their shifts. 100% WOT Clutchless shifting. I've also seen a few people use the rev limiter as a ECU contoller alternative. What is done is the rider keeps constant pressure on the shifter in the sirect he/she wants to go (generally up) and as the engine cuts fuel when it hits the limiter, the engine RPMs drop just a bit. when that happens the transmission sees hardly any load and slips into gear quickly and you're back in the green, until you hit the limiter again, when the process starts over.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Banned

The shift pattern is more useful than for simply upshifting, and in actuality, I see more of it's potential offered in downshifting.

In that respect, you don't have to bring your left leg out of it's position to downshift while in a corner. I have reversed the shifting on my F3 and after about an hour or so getting used to it - I'll never go back. I ride hard and fast and I have seen and felt it's advantages ten-fold.

Now for my question...

I'm getting an 07 RR in about a week or so and I'mcurious about something. On my F3 the shift linkage is horizontal, on the newer RR's the linkage is vertical. I've looked at the setup and it doesn't seem that the new linkage will be so "swapper-friendly." It looks like part of the stator cover would be in the way of the shift knuckle, essentially not allowing it to be set at a 9 o'clock position as opposed to it's factory 3 o'clock position...

SO... anyone with a newer RR that has the reversed pattern? If so, did you have to do any modification to allow the knuckle to rest freely in the reversed position or am Ijust seeing things?

Old 04-07-2007, 04:31 PM

Well if you have a 7 speed transmision then yea thats right lol

Old 04-07-2007, 04:54 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: jchavers_2000

Well if you have a 7 speed transmision then yea thats right lol
WTF?

Old 04-07-2007, 06:52 PM

Personally I swapped to the GP shift and I absolutley love it... And yes there is a learning curve invovled but once you get passed that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I highly recommend it. I have got all my friends to swap to it and they now love it as much as I do. If you rid a bike that is standard shift pattern you have to really think about what your doing at first but then it all comes back to you. DO IT.... It takes 5 minutes to do, and if you don't like it in about a week or so. Swap back.

DO IT!!!!!

Old 04-07-2007, 07:00 PM
Banned

So you did this with your RR? If so, then what year RR do you have? Is your shift linkage vertical? Did you have to do any modification?

???

Quick Reply: Backwards shifting?