Back protector and other safety gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 11:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Back protector and other safety gear

Yup - spend some time in the bike store... make sure they know you and always be nice to them. If you do, you get discounts and the extra bit of help getting parts. Heck I got some free header wrap the other day - it was left over from his track bike.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I wear a two piece Alpinestars GPU suit. I tried on a number of different brands - Furygan, Teknic, Dainese - but the Alpinestars just 'fit' me better. I went for the two piece for the versatility - I commute every day with them and ride pretty much each weekend, and it allows you to not walkaround like a hunchback when you seperate the jacket from the trousers.

Make sure that you try out the leathers by actually sitting on a bike (either yours or one in the shop) to get a feel for how the sit. They will be baggy around the **** area when you're standing, but taught when you're actually on the bike.

And they should be tight - like a second skin. If they flap, that means more abrasion can be caused in the event of an accident.

I think the body armour jacket might be overkill to be honest - with the addition of a spine protector, your shoulders, elbows, hips, knees and shins should be protected with a good set of quality leathers. Although I know a few riders who also wear a chest protector.

Also get yourself a decent helmet, most will tell you there's no difference between a £49 and £499 helmet - but I know what I'd rather have my head in (an Arai RX-7 Corsair, actually..!!).

Old 09-14-2006, 12:23 PM

yeah that's what I was thinking of too with the armor. I was just gonna get an alpinestar suit (like the one i posted above) at my dealer. A couple people i talked to said that the bionic jacket isn't too much of an overkill, if you go down on the highway it'll get you through a lot better than a suit, and the spine protector is removable if i don't want to wear the bigo thing around at all times. I was just want to see what everyone's opnion on it is before i spend about 300 on it.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:56 PM

Basically mate the key thing is that you feel safe in what you're wearing. If you'd feel safer in the bio-jacket - go for it. I know people who feel safe in just a jacket and a normal pair of jeans. Each to their own!

One piece of advice that has stuck with me is to get quality gloves - I spent £100 (about $150 US) on my gloves as the last pair I had (at around $40 US) actually fell apart after 4 months riding. Seeing as how these are generally the first thing to hit the ground I'd invest wisely in a good pair of gloves (I use Clover RS-3's for summer, Alpinestars Jet Road Gore Tex for winter).

Old 09-14-2006, 03:09 PM

i'm gonna try to talk my mom into just letting me get a textile jacket and a spine protector. Along with a good pair of gloves. thanks for the help.

Old 09-14-2006, 10:10 PM

leather
leather
leather
leather
leather
leather
leather
leather
leather
leather
leather
leather
leather
leather .........

Old 09-15-2006, 06:33 AM

do u guyz ware full lather all the time? what about when u go to work or store?

Old 09-15-2006, 07:18 AM

Yup. Full leather, everytime. If it's a small trip down the road, I'll wear my jacket, Hood jeans (similar to draggin' but with armour built in), gloves, boots etc. Unless it's raining hard or extremely cold - then I wear my thermal, armoured textiles.

You have to be prepared for the unexpected. Sure, you may be a competent rider, but the idiot who pulls out in front of you from a junction, sending you careening down the road is always going to be an occupational hazard of riding a bike.

But hey, wear what you want when you ride - just don't expect any sympathy when they're digging gravel out of your wounds (which could go septic) and you spend the next few years getting skin grafts from cadavers.

Old 09-15-2006, 03:16 PM
Old 09-15-2006, 04:23 PM

PEG how much did you spend on the Arai RX-7 Corsair? do u have a website to check out the helmet?

Quick Reply: Back protector and other safety gear