Back protector and other safety gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 04:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back protector and other safety gear

My mom is kinda like a safety **** so she's making get like hardcore gear for my bike. I was wondering if any of you have spine protectors and how often do you wear them. Also, I see a couple of guys ride around on the highway (dallas freeway) with like a full suit on. I don't know if that's really neccessary or not. What's your opinion on it.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:56 AM
Default RE: Back protector and other safety gear

Go outside, run as fast as you can and then throw yourself on the ground as hard as you can.

Now imagine doing it at 70+ mph wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

I'm all for free choice when it comes to wearing whatever you want, but I wear full alpinestar leathers, a Knox Ricochet spine protecter (imagine slamming into a car/curb with just a piece of leather to protect you), boots, gloves and of course, helmet.

It's all too easy to become hamburger meat on the roads, so protect yourself. A broken bone may take a month or so to heal, but skin grafts take years.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know alot of guys who brought spine protectors for the track. Most of them said - I spent all this money on it, I'm going to wear it everyday. Even in the most minor incidents it's handy.

Old 09-14-2006, 10:49 AM

i was looking at just an alpinestar spine protector for 108, but my mom was telling me to get the S-MX bionic jacket.

btw peg when you say alpinestar leather
do u mean like one of their two-peice suits like this

Old 09-14-2006, 10:55 AM

Dress up to go down. It's not a matter of IF you will, it's when you do. Find a style you like and then go for it. Alot of the new mesh/textile jackets have a protector on them and come with a zipout liner for hot days.

I wear a JR Phoenix4 jacket, reinforced jeans, GPgloves, sturdy boots, and OFCOURSE a helmet.

Nobody wants to go down. Hell, most think they never will, but the fact is that some accidents are caused by things that are out of the riders control. In otherwords, you might not even be the reason you went down. Doesn't mean it WON'T happen, cause it will.

Old 09-14-2006, 10:57 AM

$1000 leather suits are nice. They are great for protection of rash and such. The price difference is not alot between 1 and 2 piece suits either.

How much money are you looking at spending?

Beleive it or not, EBAY has some killer pricing on protective wear and bags. I also sport an ICON squadpack for taking things to and from. $75 shipped on ebay compared to $125 in some places. That is just a little insight to the deals that can be found.

You can also get some sort of combo like this.

You can mess with the color combos aswell and it will show you what you choose. Pretty nice deal.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know anything about SMX gear. My concern with alot of the flashy gear is that it's crash once at best type stuff.

Alpinestars, teknic, Joe Rocket, Sidi... the list of big names goes on...

BTW - the close out section of newenough has some fantastic deals... $399 for a somewhat ugly teknic 1 peice suit. Leather and good enough for track days. There's a nicer suit for ~599... around here suits that I'm interested in range from 1000-1600. You do get what you pay for... but keep an eye out on Newenough - they have some killer deals. Price shop with your dealer if you want to. Personally I buy as much as I can from my dealer, I just can't afford to pay 600 more for a suit through them. That's about the only item I wouldn't buy from my dealer.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:18 AM

Price shop with your dealer if you want to. Personally I buy as much as I can from my dealer, I just can't afford to pay 600 more for a suit through them. That's about the only item I wouldn't buy from my dealer.

Agreed, it's always good to get in with the dealer or ATLEAST the parts guy.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:41 AM

my mom gave me about a 1g allowance on gear and stuff. Pretty much it'ld pay for itself if i was to go.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:43 AM

what's the sizing on these gear's midnight. Are the same as your average casual clothes or is it a bit bigger/smaller?

Quick Reply: Back protector and other safety gear