Another "my bike won't start" thread. Sorry :/

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by R Dub
I wouln't try to jump start it with a car. I hear bad things can happen. If you have a jump box use that or get a friend to push you. I had to do that once and it fired right up and yes that would ensure your battery is dead.
What sort of bad things? I gotta be honest, I've done it at least twice or so and everything seemed fine. I was under the impression that it was ok...

What's the harm?

EDIT: So lets say I push start it and it fires up, indication that it's battery related or could their still be an underlining problem?

Old 02-28-2011, 09:38 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by Kleetz
What sort of bad things? I gotta be honest, I've done it at least twice or so and everything seemed fine. I was under the impression that it was ok...

What's the harm?

EDIT: So lets say I push start it and it fires up, indication that it's battery related or could their still be an underlining problem?
I hear that it can fry things as the car puts out a lot more energy than what the bike needs and can handle. Now I am not a electrical engineer so I am not positive, it is just what I have read on some forums.

If you push start it and it fires right up and will stay running with no problem then 99.99% positive it is your battary. If it will not stay running then you have a stator or Rectifier/Regulator problem.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:09 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you jump start it from a car leave the car's engine off, do NOT start it. A car's charging system puts out a lot more amps than what the bike's electronics can handle.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
If you jump start it from a car leave the car's engine off, do NOT start it. A car's charging system puts out a lot more amps than what the bike's electronics can handle.
Yeah, I've defiantly done it with the car running. If it would fry anything what would it be?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I've defiantly done it with the car running. If it would fry anything what would it be?
The bike's electrical components, especially newer models with more 'stuff', are not designed to handle the output of a car's alternator. It may work a few times but the potential for damage is much greater if the car is running when connected to the bike's battery.

The huge car battery has more than enough 'juice' to start a bike when the car engine is off.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:26 PM

I'm going to get the battery checked to see if it's damaged (e.g. cells and can/cannot hold charge).

I'm going to check the continuity of the side stand to see if that's in proper working order.

If say the Stator or Rectifier/Regulator is done how is that replaced? Is it a single unit? Part of the starter?

If there is anything else I should look for please let me know.

Thanks for the help thus far. I really wanna ride :/

Old 03-01-2011, 12:21 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Hey Kleetz, before we get too far a head of the game and start telling you how to replace parts that might not need replaced check that battery first as I am almost positive that is your issue from the problems you have described.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by R Dub
Hey Kleetz, before we get too far a head of the game and start telling you how to replace parts that might not need replaced check that battery first as I am almost positive that is your issue from the problems you have described.
Yeah, that's the first thing I intend on doing. I will let you guys know how that works out. Going to take me a few days before I can though.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:39 AM
Default starting problem

im having the same problem on my 96 cbr 900rr. replaced the battery, it does the cranking noise but doesnt turn on. im thinking its the spark plug issue but not sure. could be the battery. i bought a new one today, acid battery. the salesman said "just fill her with acid, leave her open for 20 mins and then put her on the bike, should start up" i said that i always charge my batteries for 4 hours before installing to which he said "this one is already charged you dont need to charge if you are going to put it on the bike and use it right away." so i followed his idiotic advice, took it home, did not charge it, and didnt work. oh and i blew a fuse! charged it after, still no use. took it in to the store, they metered it in at 13. should work they said. so i returned home, put it back in, no go. new fuse too. it clicks as if wanting to start but nothing.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:25 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by deltafive
im having the same problem on my 96 cbr 900rr. replaced the battery, it does the cranking noise but doesnt turn on. im thinking its the spark plug issue but not sure. could be the battery. i bought a new one today, acid battery. the salesman said "just fill her with acid, leave her open for 20 mins and then put her on the bike, should start up" i said that i always charge my batteries for 4 hours before installing to which he said "this one is already charged you dont need to charge if you are going to put it on the bike and use it right away." so i followed his idiotic advice, took it home, did not charge it, and didnt work. oh and i blew a fuse! charged it after, still no use. took it in to the store, they metered it in at 13. should work they said. so i returned home, put it back in, no go. new fuse too. it clicks as if wanting to start but nothing.
Not to be a jerk Delta but this should either be in the General Tech or the CBR 900RR section as the year and model of the bike are completely different and it seems you are having a seperate issue. However I will try to help out where I can. First of all return the acid battery you bought. You want a Sealed lead acid battery which is maintenance free. The reason being if the bike goes on its side or upside down you don't want acid dripping out and the sealed ones will not allow for leaks. You will want to check for spark and for fuel. Make sure the carbs are getting gas and are clean. You do not have a fuel pump so you are not going to hear it prime or anything.

Quick Reply: Another "my bike won't start" thread. Sorry :/