Another "my bike won't start" thread. Sorry :/

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another "my bike won't start" thread. Sorry :/

Hello,

I have an 03 CBR 600RR with about 10K on the clock. It's been in storage for the past year. Even before I put it away last year it was giving me some trouble with starting.

Recently, I've began to prep it for spring/summer. I went to start it and I get almost get nothing. I get all the lights, and fuel prime, but I don't get cranking or turnover.

The bike was downed at about 5mph on the left side. So I'm sure something with the tip over sensor could be an issue. But, I have no idea where it is or where to find it online.

When i try to start it, like I said, all lights go on, fuel primes, but when I press the start button all the lights go off and it doesn't even crank.

You guys have any ideas? If you need anymore info let me know! Thanks in advanced.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a bad battery. While a bad battery may have enough voltage to turn on the lights it may not not have enough power to crank the engine. Did you leave it on a trickle charger all winter?

Old 02-27-2011, 10:44 PM

Yes, the battery has been on a tender and fully charged when I tried to start it. I would think it would have enough juice to at least crank it right? I also put it on the charger every time I stop working on it. So it's fully charged every time. The battery is about a year old.

I'm pretty sure that there is an electrical issue but I'm not sure where to start...thoughts?

Old 02-27-2011, 11:07 PM

The tip over sensor is located in between the headlights. If I remember correctly its a green 3 pin plug. But don't quote me on that one. If the fuel pump is priming then most likely its not the TOS. Make sure there is a neutral light & try again. If that doesnt work, try lifting the side stand & pulling in the clutch. I'm just wondering here, does it click like its trying or does it just do nothing at all? If it clicks once then it could possibly be the starter. If it clicks multilpe times you probably have a bad battery. A battery can show 12vdc but still have a bad cell not letting it put out its full potential. The headlights should come on with the key on & go out when the starter button is pushed.
Does it click once, multiple, or not at all when the starter button is pushed?
Do you have a neutral light?
Have you had the battery checked?

Old 02-27-2011, 11:57 PM

Ok, now I think we are getting somewhere, it clicks once and then it looses all power until I let go of the start button at which point it looks like it resets (i.e. all power comes back on, needle does its up and down). If I press it again, one click and nothing after that.

I haven't had this battery checked, and I've only tried starting the bike in gear, with the clutch engaged. I will check for the neutral light but I'm sure it's there.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:55 AM
October 2011 ROTM

+1 for bad battery. When my battery went bad it wouldn't even start when I had the charger in the start mode. The only thing that would start it was the jump box. I put a new batter in it and now everything is back to normal.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:04 AM

I will have the battery tested. Could it be anything else such as the starter like Project96 said? Kickstand sensor?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:09 AM

Have the battey checked & or replaced. I bet thats at least your cranking problem. If the bike is in gear, the side stand has to be up with the clutch pulled in. With the side stand down it has to be in neutral.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:13 AM

I've tried it with the bike in gear and the side stand up and got the one click and other times nothing. Will try neutral when I get around to my parents house (where the bike resides).

Edit: What if i jump start it and it starts right up? Would that ensure that the battery is at fault?

Last edited by Kleetz; 02-28-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:21 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by Kleetz
I've tried it with the bike in gear and the side stand up and got the one click and other times nothing. Will try neutral when I get around to my parents house (where the bike resides).

Edit: What if i jump start it and it starts right up? Would that ensure that the battery is at fault?
I wouln't try to jump start it with a car. I hear bad things can happen. If you have a jump box use that or get a friend to push you. I had to do that once and it fired right up and yes that would ensure your battery is dead.

Quick Reply: Another "my bike won't start" thread. Sorry :/