Ambitious (but maybe rubbish)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ambitious (but maybe rubbish)

Black would look sick foxy...

Is ceramic coating it an option? I've seen a number of guys doing the high temp grill paint with no problems. Either way would be bad ***

RED [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 09-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Retired Super Moderator

Sorry soccerpro, just messin with ya.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:44 PM

Oh no it's fine, I've just never ridden a 2003 or above bike, so all of the ones I've ridden have been carburated and have chokes. I'm still pretty new, haha. Everythings a learning experience though ^.^

Old 09-06-2008, 02:30 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I'm still looking into options. I just want it looking OEM and durable, and not half-assed...........and I really HATE doing something, then having to re-do it a few months later because it's chipping or peeling. But I never thought about the whole heat-retention thing.........glad you guys brought that up. I'm thinking without that little drawback, the powdercoat option would work, I but I'd rather not risk it.

The bike is going to be torn down tomorrow, and a lot of stuff is coming off. After my recent multiple-thousand mile trip to Durango, CO for the Four-Corners Bike Rally last weekened, I've found my electrics keep shorting. For instance, my rear brake light stays on when the switch on the rearset gets wet, and sometimes, all my electrics flicker when they get wet.......so I'm thinking I need to tear it down and break out the tube of dielectric grease to seal everything up.

Not to mention the trip killed my Rizoma licence plate light and moisture got into one of my turn signals (it rained SO MUCH up there, it's not even funny) Just sit on your bike and have someone spray you with a hose..........yeah, kind of like that..........for 90 miles...........in the mountains............in 48 degree weather. Entertaining, but not something I want to do again.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

buy a nice slipon.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:06 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ LOL. The only one I want is the Akrapovic.........and they're $500 bucks.........not to mention I couldn't use it at Laguna Seca (they have a 92 db limit, so nothing over stock) Plus, a black exhaust would look sick.......especially if I went from the headers all the way back with gloss black.........hmmmmm.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

Yeah, I'm still looking into options. I just want it looking OEM and durable, and not half-assed...........and I really HATE doing something, then having to re-do it a few months later because it's chipping or peeling. But I never thought about the whole heat-retention thing.........glad you guys brought that up. I'm thinking without that little drawback, the powdercoat option would work, I but I'd rather not risk it.

The bike is going to be torn down tomorrow, and a lot of stuff is coming off. After my recent multiple-thousand mile trip to Durango, CO for the Four-Corners Bike Rally last weekened, I've found my electrics keep shorting. For instance, my rear brake light stays on when the switch on the rearset gets wet, and sometimes, all my electrics flicker when they get wet.......so I'm thinking I need to tear it down and break out the tube of dielectric grease to seal everything up.

Not to mention the trip killed my Rizoma licence plate light and moisture got into one of my turn signals (it rained SO MUCH up there, it's not even funny) Just sit on your bike and have someone spray you with a hose..........yeah, kind of like that..........for 90 miles...........in the mountains............in 48 degree weather. Entertaining, but not something I want to do again.
Yeah, guess you don't really know what rain is out there in New Mexico, huh?
I'm having problems with water getting into my signals too. I think this winter I'll tear the whole thing down and clean it, buy new signals, and put some caulk in where they go together. Only thing I see as a problem would be that if water managed to get in (it always does) it probably wouldn't dry out very well...