Alot of people don't like blacks, and I understand why

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Alot of people don't like blacks, and I understand why

ORIGINAL: Papi Chingon

ok, so the title of this thread certainly did get view, but didn't get the answers i was looking for[&o], so it's a win/lose. it looks like i'm going to just take two white towels with me tomorrow unless i hear a better idea....you guys are bastards.

..........err ....thanks....

actually a white towel is a good idea......you could always re-upolster the seat another color, although thats not gona help tomorrow.....where the hell do you live, im in KC and its 26 degrees outside...............and i may be a wimp, but thats a little cold for me to ride, anything under 35 and im out........

Old 11-25-2007, 12:01 AM

"where the hell do you live, im in KC and its 26 degrees outside...............and i may be a wimp, but thats a little cold for me to ride, anything under 35 and im out........"

this isn't a thread about cold weather - this is a thread about hot weather. i park in garages everywhere the bike goes - except for tomorrow. the bike will be outside in a black asphalt parking lot for several hours, and despite the hot weather, the blacktop makes it even hotter. i am simply asking for opinions on how to nullify the heat, if any.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:06 AM

I live in the same area of Ca. as you. It has been hot with the Santa Ana's and such. Can you get a bike cover? Try and park with the East Sun. Less heat that way. Sorry I can't be more help. Can you drive your car until you get a cover??

Old 11-25-2007, 12:18 AM

yes, i could drive my car tomorrow but i'm heading for palomar after my appointment, so it's just quicker to take the bike. now that it's winter time i don't have to deal with the super hot sun, but as you said, we have the santa ana's right now. it's also something i need to know for the future. thanks.
p.s. where in rsf do you live? i'm from rsf (grew up there), but now live in la costa.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:24 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought this was a racial thread at first.

You could always, like you said, throw a towel over the seat to keep it from being hot. But I don't see how black fairings would get noticeably hotter than other colors, being the fairings are plastic and wouldn't retain as much heat as metal. I guess we don't really have an answer for you because most of us don't really see it as a problem. If I leave my bike out in the hot sun, I just expect the seat to be on the warm side. Since I live in southern NM, and it gets extremely hot during the summer months, I just expect everything to burn and be hot I guess.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:17 AM

Santa Ana's. Thats wind. Right? Towels blow away in wind. Covers catch wind like a sail. They have been known to blow bikes over.

If you elect t o use a cover, point the bike so that the wind blows it onto the side stand.

You could take a microfiber topwel and some water out to the bike after work and cool it with that prior to riding off to Palomar.

I have 5 black bikes, BTW.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:51 AM

wow thats a problem id like to have ...its to hot outside how can i cover my bike so it doesnt toast my @ss...where as here down south of st louis its freakin 28degrees and i am wearin 3 layers to try and keep from freezin for my commute...speakin of which....if ur wearin riding gear...how can u tell how hot the seat really is? it should only be warm a few minutes at best...

Old 11-25-2007, 09:10 AM

ORIGINAL: Papi Chingon

p.s. where in rsf do you live? i'm from rsf (grew up there), but now live in la costa.
I live near Fairbanks Ranch CC. Off of San Dieguito Rd.

I keep my bike garaged for the most part. But when I'm out, I just try not to leave my bike in sunny places too long. As you know, in the Summer we get a lot of Marine Layer Fog. So, it doesn't get that hot. This time of year is rough.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:42 AM

a towel over the seat would help keep things cooler. I stayed away from a black bike for several reasons.

1. potential for less visibility to cagers
2. it would get hot as hell on the tank ect...

As far as black being hard to keep clean, well all i can say is that the wax you use can make a huge difference when attempting to clean your bike and how easy or difficult it is for you to remove bugs and road grime. My faves are Meguiars NTX or, Zanio. I mostly use NXT as I can find it at the local wally world.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:27 PM

I try to keep a 1/2 cover with me in my back pack and it keeps the seat and the top of the bike cool.

Quick Reply: Alot of people don't like blacks, and I understand why