AGAIN TIRE QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AGAIN TIRE QUESTION

ok ive had D 208's and there just about toast down the center of the tire after 4000 miles.

1. First i need to get more miles out of the tire
2. I have used 100% of the span of the tred in the twisties
3. I know i dont take these to the edge of performance...im not smokin the rear tire in the turns
4. are there any tires that are made of a hard compound on the center of the tire and softer on the outside since 85% of the time is commuting on flat roads.
5. number one goal is to not crash i dont want to comprimise myself by being cheap but at the same time i think i could give up a little performance of the tire in exchange for endurance because i am not pushing the tire to the limits.
6. target milage....6000-8000 is it possible?

give me a couple brands that would compete in this sort of catagory.
people have mentioned the avon 45/46, metzler m3 but i just didnt know what the performance was like on them...anyone got an article on this anywhere?

Old 04-11-2006, 01:28 AM
Default RE: AGAIN TIRE QUESTION

I have metsler and they have 3000-3500 miles on them now they have a big chicken strip in the center thanks to my ride to dallas. I wouldn't go with metzlers agan I'm gonna try pilot powers next but I here they are even softer, however I am taking the curves hard (when I can find them)and softer is better for that. I saw a web site for tires that were made with 3 different hardnesses Hard middle softer as they got to the edges you could select the type you want they had several different cobo's to choose from but I can't find it anywhere anyone know this site or the brand. also anyone know how to round the tire off other than hard turns. Im in kansas and the turns are hard to come by and the flat spot in the center is gettin pretty bad but the tire is still not worn out.

Old 04-11-2006, 01:41 AM

i read the dunlop d220's are pretty good for people who "take longer rides". it's harder down the middle with softer sides.

Old 04-11-2006, 09:44 AM

ORIGINAL: NotSoMellowYellow

I have metsler and they have 3000-3500 miles on them now they have a big chicken strip in the center thanks to my ride to dallas. I wouldn't go with metzlers agan I'm gonna try pilot powers next but I here they are even softer, however I am taking the curves hard (when I can find them)and softer is better for that. I saw a web site for tires that were made with 3 different hardnesses Hard middle softer as they got to the edges you could select the type you want they had several different cobo's to choose from but I can't find it anywhere anyone know this site or the brand. also anyone know how to round the tire off other than hard turns. Im in kansas and the turns are hard to come by and the flat spot in the center is gettin pretty bad but the tire is still not worn out.
As a newbie, wondering what the ride feels like once the tires begin to get worn in the center? Is there a stronger "transitional moment" as you roll into a turn? Or is it basically difficult to feel any difference?

Thanks!

Old 04-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no mang...you'll feel the difference...basically...you have less contact surface when you're in the turn...and you may even feel a slight slip before the tire grips again getting over the little edge that has formed between the flat part of the tire to the side of the tire.

as far as mileage in the 6-8K and plenty of stick...i'll say diablos (but i doubt you'll get 6-8K out of them) or diablo stradas. The stradas are supposed to be just as sticky as the diablos with harder middle.

Old 04-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Retired Super Moderator

People will say i'm crazy...but i rode alot of highway miles last year, and i got almost 9,000 miles out of my stock Dunlop 208's. I'm running Pirelli Diablos now, doesn't look like they're gonna hold up quite as long....

-Adam

Old 04-11-2006, 11:30 PM

I put almost 10k mi on a rear pilot power. I ran 34f/40r psi last summer. The composition of the road you ride on will eat up softer tires too.

Old 04-12-2006, 12:02 AM

i have a diablo strada rear (rear only stock front) is this bad??? i know you should have the same type tire on front and rear, rear tire got vandalized (stuck with a blade in centre) so i got the strada. i love it, its so sticky. i have only put about 1000-1200 miles on it. when the rear wears down i am planning to change the front and rear to the diablo strada's, i like them. im no expert but just by feeling it, it does feel a little harder in the centre. 120 miles today.

Old 04-12-2006, 12:48 AM

jwp anyware on the tires at the moment

Old 04-12-2006, 01:34 AM

I have a micheline pilot and i love it....sticks good too

Quick Reply: AGAIN TIRE QUESTION