Adjusting forks

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting forks

Hi i just got done yesterday fixing up my bike,which included replacing the front forks because one was bent. Well now i still have a little problem. The wheel is still turning a little more to the right then left,its not big at all but noticable. Is that just something i hav to adjust b\c i put the forks on not perfectly straight or what? How can i adjust that. I am sure these forks are perfectly straight.

Old 08-20-2006, 06:13 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Adjusting forks

If the other forks were bent from a crash and you have the new, straight forks lined up perfect then it's possible that the neck is bent. I can't say for sure because I don't know what all you did to the new forks. But before you take them off make sure all adjustments are the same (preload, rebound, etc) and make sure each is in the triple tree exactly the same. Even a millimeter difference between the two sides will result in odd handling.

Old 08-20-2006, 06:23 PM

see thats exactly what im talking about. Since there isnt actually holding the forks other then the tripple trees which you can spin the forks around,and fix that. but im almost positive the neck isnt bent,it looks really straight,,but i have a lower tripple tree just in case,came with the forks,plus the straight forks shoudlnt of went through the neck if it was bent.

Old 08-20-2006, 06:43 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya, I didn't think of that right off but the triple tree could be bent and that would cause issues. When dealing with mechanical things, though, always use this method -- do the easiest thing first. This methodology has served me well in both my job and with working on bikes. If the easiest thing to check/do doesn't work then go on to the next thing. It's a good idea to make a list and organize the tasks. Main reason I'm telling you this is because the front suspension on a sportbike has so many factors that can lead to odd handling. It's 2nd in my book to the famous "my motor is making a funny noise" statement.

So before disassembling anything, check all your settings, take it for a ride and then go from there.

Good luck -- and hey, at least it isn't electrical ... I hates electrical problems[:'(]

Old 08-20-2006, 06:54 PM

haha yea. back t the drawing board i guess.

Old 09-02-2006, 07:11 PM

Did you figure it out yet? I think I might have the same problem.

Old 09-03-2006, 05:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HMmm... MY BRaIn, It HUrtz!!!!!!!.... Tech... after replacing... and every once in a while, I've heard the pinch bolts (trees), axel, axel caps, should be allowed to realine. I think... (others jump in here please... Loose'n axle caps, axel, lower tree run frnt tire up against a wall... pump forks 3-4 times, tighten axel, pump3-4 times more ... tighten axel caps, I think front nuts first,, pump again...tighten lower tree(clamp loosen top clamp, pump, tighten. you can loosen both top and bottom tree at once, if you have "safety ring clips" to prevent your forks, from slide'n right thru the clamps. This allows the whole setup, to find it's true alignment, decreases stiction, binding of forks, off point'n rims, forks, clamps and true relation w/ stem, oh stem, is it time to check, lube and retorque too???? Please if I've screwwwed up the sequence, help me out ,you suspension guru's, Clean and free, Ripp'n