600RR Race Bike

Old 10-04-2015, 06:44 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 600RR Race Bike

Hi all, I'm new to this area of CBR Forum, but have been a member for a few years, with most of my activity in the F2 section.

My last race bike was my very well equiped F2, modified extensively, and weighing in at just over 390 pounds with a full tank; I also have a street F2 that I've built up from what was essentially a junked bike, and my new race bike is a former Pegram Racing 600RR, which was raced by Ryan Elleby in AMA Pro Formula Xtreme... I'm anxious to learn more about the new bike, and wanted to show it to those who have been asking about it.

Here's the old race machine (sold to fund the new bike):

And the new-to-me 600RR - this is how it looked in the photos I got from the seller:

Here's some info on the new machine:
  • Apex radial M/C and lever
  • Ohlins fork internals (.95kg/mm)
  • Penske Triple shock
  • Billet top triple clamp
  • GPR steering damper
  • Woodcraft rearsets
  • Woodcraft clip-ons
  • Vortex sprockets
  • Renthal grips
  • NRC stator cover
  • Lightened flywheel
  • APE CCT
  • PC III (tuned for 118hp at the wheel on pump gas, about 123 w/race fuel)
  • Bazzas quick shifter
  • Zero Gravity Double-Bubble
  • BMC air filter
  • EBC wave rotors
  • SBS dual carbon racing brake pads
  • Lightened rear rotor (uncertain of brand)
  • Speigler braided stainless lines
  • Rizoma swingarm spools
Extras include:
  • An assortment of Vortex rear sprockets
  • Two extra race windscreens
  • Spare forks with Penski internals (.85kg/mm Race Tech springs)
  • Cycle Cat fully adjustable rearsets (custom made set for Pegram)
  • Cycle Cat adjustable clip-ons (custom made set for Pegram)
  • Set of frame sliders
  • Spare cush drive with sprocket
  • Wheel set that needs straightening
  • 2 extra sets of crashed bodywork, that could be repaired
  • New supersport tail that uses stock seat
  • OEM rotors, stator, R/R, flywheel, brake lines, levers, and top triple clamp
In addition to the extras that came with the bike, when I picked it up, the guy that transported it to the track for the seller had another bodywork set that is very solid, and just needs sanding/painting - I got that set for $75, and another windscreen as well.

Last edited by JNSRacing; 10-06-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:32 PM

I cleaned it up and stripped the number plates - I would have left the plate graphics and just stripped/replaced the numbers, but the numbers were printed with the graphics... I ordered some plates from PopShadow decals.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to the thread, although less likely to be as entertaining as the F2 since the bike looks pretty sorted. Had a chance to turn a wheel on the new bike yet?

Old 10-05-2015, 12:10 PM

It's true, there is so much more work when starting with a stock machine, but admittedly, that is a ridiculous expense compared to getting even just a partially prepared race bike!

I've only taken it for a couple of quick spins around my neighborhood, nothing in anger.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well its about time. hahaha. What year is you RR? I'm about to get layed off, so I'll have plenty of time to get both my F2's running right and get to 06 RR together. I just wont have any money come spring time to do "Trackdays".

Old 10-05-2015, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
Well its about time. hahaha. What year is you RR? I'm about to get layed off, so I'll have plenty of time to get both my F2's running right and get to 06 RR together. I just wont have any money come spring time to do "Trackdays".
Either I forgot you had an RR, or I never knew! This one is also an '06.

Last edited by JNSRacing; 10-05-2015 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

about time Jeff. can't wait to see the progress. And Frank sell one of the F2s and that's at least four track days until something come up regarding work

Old 10-09-2015, 09:59 AM

I got my plates on - it's starting to look a little more "finished".
Also, on the lower fairing just behind the wheel, there was the typical paint missing, due to debris being spit off the front wheel, so I painted that in and through a decal there to slow the ugliness a bit.

Next up is to replace the tank grip pads - what's on there is some kind of a foam-based stock, and in my opinion, the white that's mixed in with the black makes it look like something's wrong with the tank!
New grip pads in black should arrive early next week.

Next up will be ditching the stock-type clutch lever, and fixing the front fender - though you can't see it, there is a crack in the upper portion, and there are a lot of stone chips that make it look kinda ratty when you're viewing it in person.

Last edited by JNSRacing; 10-09-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:06 PM

I made some control adjustments over the weekend, after first adjusting the ride-height.
I'm not short, but I was really on my tip-toes when on the bike sitting still, so much that it was quite uncomfortable, and hard to scoot around when not under power; also the clip-ons were a little too far forward, and the shift lever was angled way too high for me... so high, that I cannot fathom riding like that without really cramping the ankle.

I lowered the rear as much as the Penske triple would allow, which was only 7.5mm, and then raised the forks in the triples the same distance - it's still a wee bit of a stretch, but it feels much better than before.

I pulled the clip-ons toward me just a smidge, and lowered the shifter lever about an inch - I rode it briefly, and it's better, but I'll probably drop the lever another 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

Happy enough with these changes, I then stripped the foam-based tank grip pads and replaced them with some black StompGrips... looks much better in my opinion, and I prefer the thinner, rubber/poly based grips anyway.

I don't know if I mentioned it before, but the battery that was in the bike was shot, so I replaced it, and got a low/high maintenance charger for use with this bike.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:45 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

been awhile.... looking good. Looking forward to how she turns out over the long haul

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 600RR Race Bike