600 miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 600 miles

I just hit the 600 mile mark today, and im thinking of doing my breakin service myself and i feel stupid for askin but what exactly does the breakin service consist of?

Old 09-23-2006, 12:22 AM
Default RE: 600 miles

it consists of riding @ 12,500 rpm constantly, no matter what! & doin wheelies everytime u come 2 a stop. j/k i bought my '03 RR w/ 15,000 miles so i have no clue how 2 break it in, i'm sure someone will know though. good luck & safe ridin bro

Old 09-23-2006, 01:08 AM

You just go over everything and change the oil. check:
Torque specs on ALL major bolts, axels, and pinch bolts, clips ons etc...
check clutch free play
check throttle free play
check chain slack & lube if you haven't already
check brake fluid levels, front and rear
check coolant level
You can do it all yourself if you've got a torque wrench and service manual.

Old 09-23-2006, 03:55 AM

^what he said.

Change the oil. Go synthetic if you so choose, it's not going to make a pinch of difference in break-in. What you will have however, is better protective oil and in a machine capable of 15,000 RPMs (3000 short of F1 cars) the more protection you can get, the better.

If you have the means, check bolts. call it preventative maintenance. it's very simple. a quality torque wrench will be about $60 from sears and will be INVALUABLE down to road from boats, to your bike, and extending into your car. no man should be without a torque wrench.

Old 09-23-2006, 04:45 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TAKE IT TO A SHOP! The 600 mile checkup is one of the most important. My shop checks over every little detail (including frame bolts, air/fuel ratio, electronics, cables, etc) to make sure everything is snug, fit and working correctly. If something was defective or is about to break, it'll usually show up at the 600 mile checkup. My shop only charged me $80. (including oil, filter, chain lube, etc). After that, now I do my own matinence (with the occasional checkup from the shop just to make sure). Remember, these are bikes, not cars. If a car breaks on the highway doing 70, you coast to a stop. If a bike breaks, it could mean trouble. Again, I would take it to a shop.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:18 PM

^Probably the only shop in the COUNTRY that does such a good job for not a lot of cash. not really sure why they would check the A/F Ratio (since it's non adjustable as stock) but for the amount of work they did, $80 is reasonable! If every shop did that, i too would take it in. However, most don't, and cost considerably more. in a lot of cases, it's just not worth it. That's the reality of it.

Old 09-23-2006, 02:07 PM

ORIGINAL: knightslugger

What you will have however, is better protective oil and in a machine capable of 15,000 RPMs (3000 short of F1 cars) the more protection you can get, the better.
You really want to start a synth vs Dino oil debate...

Rog1, don't believe the hype that Knightslugger is trying to sell you about synthetic oil because standard oil protects just as well...slugger probably got his information from a synth oil companies web site...use whatever oil you want and if you want to spend extra cash on oil because someone tells you it will stop your motorcycle from blowing up, go for it! I personally know a rider who has a Honda CBR with over 120,000 miles and we're not talking driven like your Grandma miles either, we're talking hard street and track miles and his bike has never had a drop of synthetic oil in it...what more proof do you need that Dino oil protects your engine. The fact is...as long as you regularly change your oil (no matter what kind you put in) the bike will last a looooong time, in fact; the chances of you totalling your bike before the engine dies are much greater.

So...DON"T BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!

Old 09-23-2006, 02:18 PM

it's not hype Fretless, it's fact. Synthetic oils have proven time and time again that they are superior in nearly every category in a head to head test.

Old 09-23-2006, 02:34 PM

it's not hype Fretless, it's fact. Synthetic oils have proven time and time again that they are superior in nearly every category in a head to head test.
Show the tests and I don't want to see an oil companies name involved in the testing either...

Old 09-23-2006, 03:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Fretless33

Show the tests and I don't want to see an oil companies name involved in the testing either...
Yeah, i'll get right on that...[sm=smiley24.gif] It's pretty closed minded of you to say that if you see a Mobil, or Pennzoil, or the afore mentioned Amsoil logo on a testing company's website that the whole testing is biased and is therefore invalid. You've made up you mind and wont change it, so i'm not even going to try. You'll fault it anywhere. You're just too convinced that there is no difference.

Quick Reply: 600 miles