500 Mile Service ABSOLUTELY necessary??

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005 | 09:19 PM
Default 500 Mile Service ABSOLUTELY necessary??

Ok, so i decided after the price of the bike and the gear blowing a hole in my wallet that i DID NOT want to pay the dealer $150 to do their "recommended" service and inspection. So my question is this:

Since I can do my own oil change and lube, is going to the dealer to let them do their "inspections" ABSOLUTELY necessary??

Also what are the chances of something going wrong with a brand new 2005 CBR 600 RR within a year? I understand the service is required for warranty situations, but I highly doubt something going wrong with the bike within a year...

thanks for any valuable info!!

Old 10-13-2005 | 09:29 PM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: 500 Mile Service ABSOLUTELY necessary??

From what I understand, doing the maintenance yourself does not void the warranty, someone correct if I'm wrong. I have a 4 year warranty and I'm doing my own maintenance based on what the owners manual recommends to do. I did the first 600 mile with the dealer... for only $75. You might want to check their pricing with the Honda Corp. I thought they had to be standard prices. When I started asking question about what they looked at for my 600 mile check-up, I got they feeling they only changed the oil. I know this because they left a fairing bolt out and I had to re-order it. One tip I learned from a friend is..... a guy on his forum took clear finger nail polish from his wife and put it on the bolts they would have to remove to do the maintenance on his cruiser and most of the seals he made with the polish was unbroken. When he confronted the dealership about it, they apologized and told him the mechanic thought he was doing a simpler check-up. That's nice, I wonder what they did to his bike behind closed garage doors after that?

Old 10-13-2005 | 09:44 PM

Just my opinion but if Honda didn't want us to do our own maintenance they wouldn't have given us an owners manual that explains how to do things like change the oil and adjust the chain as well as give us the tools to do the maintenance with.

I know I wouldn't loose if my dealer tried to weasel out of any warranty work based on that argument

Old 10-14-2005 | 04:57 AM

well just changed my oil and filter at 700 miles...yes, i know i went over 200 miles but what the heck, i was havin too much fun...i feel a little relieved that i was able to get it all done without a problem...

Thanks for the reponses concerning the dealer, i too feel that they're charging up the **** for the oil change and the "inspections" arent exactly imperative

Old 10-14-2005 | 09:50 AM

My dealer wanted $80 for the first maintenance oil change. It was well over $100 when all was said and done after tax and this charge and that charge blah blah. Even though I'm fully capable of anything they may have done I felt it best to have them check it out, the bike shop I bought it from is a respectable place anyway. After that I've done my own oil changes and maintenance. As far as chanigng your own oil voiding your warranty... uhm... no way. There'd be a LOT of pissed off people if that were the case, myself included. I have too much fun working on my own bike. Have fun!

Old 10-14-2005 | 01:12 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Even at $150 they'd lose money if they inspected everything that the manual says to. What I've been told (and sounds logical) is that they run the bike and if anything odd is heard they contact HONDA who authorizes maintenance work before they open up anything.

Old 10-14-2005 | 09:16 PM

How hard is it to change the oil on my '05 600RR??? I would like to do it myself as my closet dealer is 100 miles away. Just don't want to mess it up. IS there a post somewhere that has directions on how to do it?? Also what oil do I use?? Regular or synthetic??

Old 10-15-2005 | 04:17 AM

i used GN4 10W40 and a OEM Honda Oil Filter...thats what the guy handed to me after saying "You're supposed to let the dealer do your first oil change and inspection as to not void your warranty"...i was like, ok dude..just give me my oil and oil filter...lol

Old 10-15-2005 | 09:02 AM

josho66 it`s really easy to change your oil n filter, just remove the lower cowl that the oil filter is on undo your sump bolt and let the oil drain then undo and remove the oil filter. Replace the bolt in the sump, lighty oil the rubber ring on your new oil filter and fit it then fill up to required amount as stated in the manual, 3.1 litres for mine. And thats it your done, hardly takes 10mins when you`ve done it before. I normally warm the engine to about 40-50 degrees first to help get all the old oil out.

Old 10-17-2005 | 10:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Anubis

josho66 it`s really easy to change your oil n filter, just remove the lower cowl that the oil filter is on undo your sump bolt and let the oil drain then undo and remove the oil filter. Replace the bolt in the sump, lighty oil the rubber ring on your new oil filter and fit it then fill up to required amount as stated in the manual, 3.1 litres for mine. And thats it your done, hardly takes 10mins when you`ve done it before. I normally warm the engine to about 40-50 degrees first to help get all the old oil out.

I might have to give it a try. What else needs to be done at 600 miles that the dealer would do that I can do at home and save money????

Quick Reply: 500 Mile Service ABSOLUTELY necessary??