2ct's or powers??

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: 2ct's or powers??

ORIGINAL: shoortbuss

I rode about 8,000 miles this year and went through a brand new set of pilot powers and I'm halfway through the tread on my second set, so let's say they last for about 5,500 miles...

The difference between the pilot power and the 2 CT is well documented on this website, but basically, if you're a knee dragger, you want the 2 CT. The 2 CT is softer on the outside for gripping on leans and harder in the middle for longer life in the high wear area. The regular Pilot Power is rated for a max lean angle of 50.6 degrees while the 2 CT is rated for 51.2 degrees.
Thats all correct except the 2CTs are no softer in the center than the reg PPs, just on the edges. This is to get more even wear out of them for us who (or try to) drag knee etc. I put about 5k on my rear PP b4 I had to get a new one.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May I suggest my tire setup.... I use a pilot road 2ct on the rear and a pilot power on the front. I have had nothing but great things to say about my tires. They GRIIIIP and give you so much confidence. The only time I have ever had my tires slip were on sand and on yellow/white lines. My tires have 6,000 miles on them and havebeen through 2 trips at the drag strip, they have seen probably near 500 wheelies, they have been slid by locking up the back brake, they have been through 400 miles of knee dragging roads at Eureka Springs, they have been on probably 100 on/off ramps at full speed, AND STILL HAVE LIFE LEFT IN THEM. I've never taken them to the track but believe me when I say that my bike is hard ridden and these tires still arent showing any cords yet. Its unbelievable. I think the pilot road 2ct combines both excellent grip and excellent longevity. I would definatly recommend the pilot power front though because It seems to dive in a little bit better (from whatI hear) and it will wear along side with your rear tire so that you can replace them at the same time.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:17 PM

I can't help it... I'm gonna chime in here with another option.

My Metzeler Sportec M3's have been amazing. I'm finally down to where I need to replace both the back and the front (just about hitting the wear indicators).

13K miles (yes, seriously) on the front, 10K miles on the rear (seriously). This is all street riding, and I'm not overly hard on them (Just the occasional wheelie attempt, some oklahoma "twisties", and 5 trips to the drag strip), but I've rolled with another guy who gets similar mileage and still does some mild track days with them! Says they stick like glue on the track. Me personally, I've never had a problem with them on the roads... dry, wet, snow (yes, snow, it's gonna slide if you're retarded, but it did better than I expected), cold, or warm. Doesn't matter. They've done well and I plan on getting another set very soon!*

Old 09-30-2008, 11:22 PM

so i went with power 2ct's im having them mounted tommoro, im amazed at how much stickeir they are to the touch.. i'm looking forward to seeing how these suckers do

Old 10-01-2008, 05:06 PM

I have regular pp's and I have gone 5k on them this year and they seem to have plenty of tread left...I'd probabyl get around 10k out of them...it all depends on how you ride them...

And if your gonna be gone for 7 months, I wouldn't get new tires till you got back. If tires just sit eith no use, they like "Dry" up and can crack and such...is the bike gonna be storedin a controlled enviornement?