2006 cbr600rr problem! plz help

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 cbr600rr problem! plz help

So here is my problem:
After I have charged my battery for a good whole night and put it back in the bike everything is fine. But after a few days of running it, varies from 2-4, the bike is dead. Just a bunch of clicking. Also, bike will sometimes die after coming off the throttle at a light.

What I know:
I've done hours of searching forums and I know everyone will say its the r/r which is probably what it is.

My Main Questions:
1. What is the price/ where should I buy it? The Honda dealer in my town gave me his cost (can't remember what that was, though it seemed high)

2. Would it be possible for me to install this part myself? (I don't have much mechanic skills at all, but i'm not a dumby. So if it's a simple follow instructions task I could manage it.)

3. I have read alot about people saying you must change other stuff along with an R/R not really sure what to do there??

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!! THANK YOU

Old 06-05-2009, 06:19 AM

1.) HondaParts-direct.com
31600-MEE-872 $182.64

2.) Yes, you can install it yourself. Just remove the left middle fairing and the left lower fairng. Then unplug the original regulator rectifier (has a 2 or 3 prong plug into the wire harness). Then unbolt the original r/r from the bike, swap r/r's, bolt new one on, plug in, ride on.

3.) Really dont know about that one.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Depends on the route you choose. Search "gsxr regulator swap", that is a popular fix for our weak R/R's. As far as buying one, there is ebay, a stocker from sites like cheapcycleparts.com, or your honda dealer. Myself, I got lucky grabbing one for $15 bucks from a member on here when mine went out.

Ebay is going to be the cheap way, whether you're going stock or finding a GSXR reg to swap in.

2. Yes. The stock one is a plug and play switch. The gsxr one requires minor re-wiring. Both are quite easy with basic mechanical abilities.

3. No. If there are other electrical components which are bad, yes you'll need to swap though. Just because you're R/R is bad doesn't mean anything else is. You'd be wise to look up the test to check your stator and battery while you're at it. I only had a bad R/R when I had my problem and have been good for months now with no charging probs.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, I just read that you are assuming it's the R/R. Do you and your wallet a favor and find the charging system test on here (search function is your friend) and do the tests to make certain that it's your R/R. That's the most common problem, but you may have a bad battery or stator or a short somewhere in the harness and it would be a shame to dump cash into a new R/R when the one you have is fine.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Default i had the same prob i have the same year and everything

it turned out to be i had a loose connection on my battery. it sucked because i was down in daytona at the time and when i was on my way back it would even cut off on the I-95 so i would dump the clutch to get it going again. so i got a new battery and i got new terminals for the positive and negative and crimped them on the cables and did the connections to the battery and it fixed the problem. so try that out, the whole reason it happened is b/c the dealer didn't tighten down the connection when i got it and overtime the screw became loose due to vibration. well hope this helps and let me know if its the same prob i had.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:53 PM

had that happen before to. when in doubt, lean toward the easiest fix.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:27 AM

Thank you everybody for your replys. It has been raining the last couple days so I have not been able to mess with it yet. I'll let everyone know wat happens when I get a chance to mess with it.

One last question though... I seen a r/r on ebay for like $15. It says it will fit a 04-07 cbr 1000. Is anyone aware if that will fit/work without any modifications onto my 06 cbr600rr?

thanks again.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Default By the Way

"Flyou" those new phoenix are HOT!!! I was lookin at those online and if I was to buy a 09 model that is definitely the one I would get. lol. How does the 09's ride/feel compared to the older ones, if of course you had a older cbr before?