2003 600RR Motor drop and repair questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 600RR Motor drop and repair questions

I just purchased a 2003 600RR, i need to check the valves and springs which normally requires motor removal. Is there any way around that? Has anyone tried head removal without motor removal? There is an odd sound coming from the motor and i suspect broken valve spring or valve stem perhaps...i got this bike pretty cheap though. So im up for the challenge. Im just tying to avoid total motor replacement. Right now im looking at A lock nut wrench for the motor removal, cam chain tensioner holder, valve spring compressor and valve spring compressor attachment...just to get started. If anyone knows an easier cheaper way (about 210 bucks for those tools alone) please chime in and let me know. Most of my experience is with suzuki's so this honda is just a different beast to me. Even worse than the carb work i had to do to my 97 F3. Any help would be appreciated...thanks

Old 06-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Default RE: 2003 600RR Motor drop and repair questions

I'd try to at least get the valve cover off with the lump still in the bike..I've not looked really close at mine but I'd be surprized if this couldn't be accomplished. Start by stripping the body work and air box and see if you can get to the valve cover first...you should be able to do this with simple hand tools.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:24 PM

Im in the middle of rebuiding my engine right now. Unfortunitly there is no way around removing the engine, there isnt enough room. But on the good side it only takes about 2 hours max to remove your engine. Plus your going to want to inspect the pistons for damage too

Old 06-14-2008, 06:35 AM

I have already removed the valve cover to see if there wan anything obvious that was messed up in the top of the motor. So far nothing so i have to go down to the head then the pistons...so out comes the motor...tools are on thier way.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:39 AM

Fast did you have to buy the lock nut removal tool or is there some trick to getting that thing off without it. Also what sucks is that is also the pivot bolt through the swingarm...any tricks to dropping the motor and keeping all that together...right now its just on my pit bull swingarm stand.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:52 AM

I made my own lock nut tool but I would sugest buying one. I think they are around 60bucks from your local dealer. When you pull the swing arm piviot, you don't have to take it all the way out. You can leave it in the frame and in the swing arm. Just pull it out enough to get it out of the motor. the motor will fall forward and then you just slide it back in to place.That way the bike won't collapse on you. Also put a pair of jack stands under the swing arm for extra support. Do you have a repair manual???? That would be a very good investment for you if ya dont, plus your going to need it when you split the case. What kind of odd sound are you/were you getting from the motor. I had a nasty noise when my trans was missing teeth from one of the gears.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:12 PM

Well the noise is hard to describe but it sounds like bad valve noise or ( i hope this isnt it) piston knock. Its just not that deep though so im thinking valve issues. I have purchased the tool already to drop the motor...it should be here tomorrow. Im honestly shocked that a motor with 9000 miles has this kind of issue already. My past experience with sportbikes shows these motors to be nearly bulletproof. But i guess that just my experience. I bought this bike this way. Thanks for the swingarm advice though.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:14 PM

Oh and i do have a manual...but as most of them are...shall we say a bit vague in the details of supporting certain steps.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:41 PM

The first motor that was in my bike lasted 2 race seasons and that motor had about 3000 on it when it started. Then a screw from the air box went down the intake and snapped a valve. Jammed it half way into the head. The second motor I got had a tooth or two missing from 4th gear. It had 3600 on it when I put it in and it lasted about 3 1/2 months. Im in the middle of building the third motor now. But im also beating the crap out of the motor too. But your right the motor for an every day street rider the bike and motor should last for years.
Your right about the manual being alittle vauge.If you have expeirance or people with experiance to help it always makes things a little easyer. Im having several people help me with my motor and tons of people giving me advice.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:29 AM

sounds ilke you know how to tear them up pretty good! well i dont really have a lot of guys around that do thier own work. Im usually one of the few in that category..so not many people to look towards for advice. So i had to resort to posting here. My lock nut removal tool should be in today and ill have the motor out this weekend. So ill have more to post on soon. I found a head for 150 if thats indeed the problem. Which sadly costs just as much as the tools required to repair the head i have. This will just be faster. Anyway ill let you know how it goes

Quick Reply: 2003 600RR Motor drop and repair questions