1st time riders - BRAKING

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 06:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st time riders - BRAKING

After having ridden my bike for the first time, a couple of times I find that braking with the rear brakes works best for me and issafest.

When I first started I didn't have time to think about using the rear brakes. I just kept using the front brakes and sometimes if pressed wrong, like pressing too hard by accident, I feel like the bike is trying to throw me off head first.

I started using the rear brakes on about the 5th ride and I was like WOW. The braking is nice and smooth and I have yet to feel like I am going to be thrown.

I know the manual and the tests and all say to use both brakes simultaneously but I rarely ever feel the need to yet on the small 30 mph roads.

Braking with the rear brakes makes me feel like I have total controll.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:53 AM
Banned
Default RE: 1st time riders - BRAKING

After having ridden my bike for the first time, a couple of times I find that braking with the rear brakes works best for me and issafest.
I apoligize for being an F4i guy on your RR space, but....Are you kidding me? You RR guys tend to be less serious than the F4i *****, but...are you kidding with this? Be careful with your back brake. Don't get in the habit of using it as your only brake, at any real speed, you can lock that thing up, get squirrly and 'highside'...are you kidding me?

Sportbikes aren't cruisers, the rear will unload, lock-up, and that can be a huge problem.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:57 AM

I guess I haven't applied it hard enough to the point where it locked up on me before.

Now I'm curious just how much pressure I have to apply to get that effect.

Gonna have to try to lock up the rear wheel now just for the feel, to get used to it, once i get sliders and rails.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:16 AM

Bad idea. If you get in the habbit of using the rear all the time, chances are greater in a panic stop situation that you won't be able to stop in time. What will also happen is as weight shifts forward during braking, the rear gets light and it causes less pressure applied to lock up the wheel.
Practice gently fading on the front brake and holding it with constant pressure for normal stops. Just a feather of a touch, it doesn't need much for normal stops. Simultaneously, apply the rear brake lightly. Don't rely on one or the other. When using both, the stopping distance is dramatically reduced.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't touched the back brake since....well......it's been a long time. I have no problem with using the front only, and the last time I actually used the back was a panic stop when a person pulled out in front of me. In normal riding I never need it.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:47 AM

MSF is all i can say . take the course ! stop using that back brake as your main sourse . like said above your going to get your self hurt. eather low/high side and you will not want to do it again . it dont take much to lock that back brake up . what year is your RR? i know the new 07's have an adjustable front brake. if you feel like your going to be thrown over head first your eather grabing the front brake to hard. or not postioned right. and it could be your just not use to this feeling. being this your first bike .......eather way take the MSF course and get to a good open parking lot and pactice with that front brake. you will love it when it saves your life from a head on or a stupid cage[:@] desided not to see you .

Old 08-23-2007, 08:30 AM

Im with the majority on this one.I know it seems soo mich smoother and quite easier and requires less attention yadda yadda yadda but the bottom line is that using the front brake more will stop you quicker than using just the back alone
.Im sure that u took an MSF course or red the handbook and in both instances they both spout the kind of information.Using the front brake will save your life.
If it feels like its goin to kick you off....brake earlier pay more attention to braking distance.
By just using the rear brake your destined for a flat spot on your tires at the least.It doesnt take much to lock up the rear either..practice practice

Old 08-23-2007, 09:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rear brake is good to use, if you know how to use it properly. it's good to even out the bike...as you've learned. doesn't make you feel like you'll get thrown off.

the drawback is that it'll lock up easily...and as far as how much pressure before it locks...it really depends on your front brakes and how the rear unloads when the front is applied. the harder you apply the front, the less pressure before rear locks up.

be careful using it...i would suggest not using it if you're a noob...or practice using it.

panic situation it'll most likely fubar you.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

rear brake is good to use, if you know how to use it properly. it's good to even out the bike...as you've learned. doesn't make you feel like you'll get thrown off.

the drawback is that it'll lock up easily...and as far as how much pressure before it locks...it really depends on your front brakes and how the rear unloads when the front is applied. the harder you apply the front, the less pressure before rear locks up.

be careful using it...i would suggest not using it if you're a noob...or practice using it.

So, in essence do you not suggest to apply the brakes simultaneously, per MSF?

E

Old 08-23-2007, 11:21 AM

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

[/blockquote]

So, in essence do you not suggest to apply the brakes simultaneously, per MSF?
No he's saying that as you apply more front brake the front will dip down further and the rear will come up--meaning less weight to hold the rear tire down making it easier to lock up. He is saying as you apply more pressure to the front (shifting the bikes weight forward) gradually ease off of the rear brake (ie. start out 50/50 front/rear, then begin transferring 60/40, 70/30).

It will take a lot of practice to really get it smooth and at the same time not lock up the rear in a panic stop. It's something I've been practicing for some time and I just don't transfer enough off the rear I lock it up almost everytime I brake as hard as I can w/o ****ting myself.

Quick Reply: 1st time riders - BRAKING