-1+2 one more time. last gearing Q. and A.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default -1+2 one more time. last gearing Q. and A.

so i have already asked questions about this, but the new bike im going to get (was supposed to yesterday, but the guy is taking it apart and back together for a tune ^) is geared -1+2... i am thinking of askin him to take off the +2 and just keep the down up front.. only one question

i know if you have gearing up on the back that if you down shift to brake, it really pulls you back...which is kosher for me

more breaking power the better.

but if i just have it -1 up front, does it still do that?? cuz i dont exactly know where "up front" is and where it would be pulling on the transmittion vs. wheels.

the reason im asking is cuz i crashed via indo and dont want to deal with that again.... and if something "up front" is a coinsider to indos.. i dont want anything to do with it.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Default RE: -1+2 one more time. last gearing Q. and A.

Having a -1 upfront is roughly = to +2.74 in the rear. As far as "pullin"you backwards when you downshift... that will happen everytime you downshift even on a stockbike(Called EngineBraking)(To prevent tooo much engine braking, riders rev match). If you downshift too much without proper rev matching, you could cause the back wheel to "hop" and lock up. Playing with your gears will shift your power band up or down in the rpms. If you go + in the rear, your power band will shift down. Same thing will happen if you go Negative in the front. If you do the opposite, then your power band will be shifted higher.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:21 PM
Default RE: -1+2 one more time. last gearing Q. and A.

yeah, i engine break all the time, i dont like squeeky brakes.

but thanks for the explanation, i already got most of it it was just an afterthought like.. hmmm i wonder.

good stuff crash